*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/876906-Generational-Knowledge
Rated: E · Essay · Opinion · #876906
Turning to those who are older could become a thing of the past.
“Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.”—Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Wisdom is typically passed down from one generation to another. Our knowledge is, for the most part, taught to us by older folks. We learn through our parents, our grandparents, and great-grandparents. However, the younger generation can often teach us as well. Turning to those who are older and wiser could become a thing of the past, with many of us now learning from our children.

As a mother, I have shared a wealth of information with my kids. I remember helping my children with their first steps. I taught each of them to read, write, and count. I have instilled in my children many things throughout their life. From simple mannerisms to the traditions passed down by those before me, I have offered my knowledge and experience. Raised in the days of home-cooked-from-scratch meals, record players, and telephones with cords, I continually find myself turning to my daughter for guidance as she has grown up in this fast-paced, technical age of computers. My daughter has been more than willing to guide me through this maze of pre-made, microwave meals, CD players, and cell phones. She has also kept me up to date on all the latest trends and fashions. In keeping with today’s look, I have acquired new ways to style my hair and accessorize my monotonous wardrobe. With the unusual vocabulary of our young people today, the mere thought of participating in a conversation can be intimidating. The language itself seems to originate from another place, and for old-timers like myself, it is difficult to understand. Nonetheless, my daughter is there to mercifully translate the meanings. From my little boy, I have learned new bicycling techniques and other fascinating sports-related events that were not present in my day.

Although there is still much in life to be taught by those who came before us, my kids are teaching me everyday. I am always learning new things from them. Most especially, I am learning about the important skills which are essential to surviving in this high-tech, computerized world. While knowledge most often perpetuates with age, the opportunity exists for us to obtain unusual insight and wisdom from the very ones with which we have offered guidance—our own children and grandchildren.
© Copyright 2004 Free Spirit (niphipps at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/876906-Generational-Knowledge