*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/879071-THE-RED-BIKE
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #879071
A CHRISTMAS HOPE
Christmas Eve Sandra woke up wondering "I know they bought presents" but saw no signs of any. After she dressed for the day she set out to find presents without her mother knowing. She entered the garage by the side door and found a red bike, a girl's bike. Her heart began pounding with anticipation, she closed the door and locked it knowing whoever left it open didn't mean to.

Her heart was happy she had wanted a bike for a long time and now "I have one," she thought. She kept running into the kitchen watching the clock. When the family sat down for dinner that evening and had their usual talk; Sandra couldn't concentrate. Lost in thought her brother popped her up side the head. She jumped, "What did you do that for?" She asked. His responce was "Dad was talking to you." Her Father knew something was wrong with Sandra because she wasn't her usual talkative self. He would usually have to tell her to be quiet. Sandra responded, "I'm okay Dad," knowing she couldn't tell him about going into the garage.

Sandra and her nine-year-old sister Chris cleaned the kitchen after dinner. Sandra couldn't stop looking at the clock; she'd think "only a minute". Chris began complaining to Sandra about being slow because she wanted to finish and watch TV, but Sandra couldn't think of anything else.

At bedtime Sandra was the first to jump and run, put on her sleepers and into bed. She wondered about the red bike. Being able to soar through the streets, like a hero. Hoping she could ride on Sunday after Church with her dress and pretend she was rich, because only the rich could afford big presents like bikes. She would ride across the tracks and pretend to live there and her father was a big time lawyer or doctor, and not a factory worker,like Betty. Betty got her bike two years ago for Christmas. Betty's Grandmother lived down the street and her Grandmother would baby-sit during the summer and Christmas vacation. She was stingy and wouldn't share her bike. When she did she used it to bargain for something she wanted. When she finished with what she had bargained she would take her bike back.
Sandra had asked for a bike since she out grew her tricycle at age five. She fell asleep smiling at the thought of finally getting a red bike.

Morning finally came and Mom woke the kids up. Sandra jumped up and ran to the christmas tree and as she approached she saw five bikes. The first one had Roberts name on it, she passed three boys biked before reaching the only girls bike. The nametag on it was not Sandra but Chris; her heart sank. She turned to walk out. Her parents were standing in the hall doorway. She looked up and without a word her Father began to speak.
"Look honey your Daddy will buy you a bike on his next payday, I know you are old enough to understand." her Dad said.
"I understand", Sandra said walking past her parents away from the tree and all the other presents under it. She headed for the bathroom locked the door behind her. She sat on the toilet placing her face into her hands and crying. She had known payday would never come. She remembered the first time she waited for payday and it never came. So she knew this time was no different, she knew that was what they said to shut her up. "How can they do this to me gain"? She asked her self.
"How can they pick which kid to bless or not"?
© Copyright 2004 a. parker (dadell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/879071-THE-RED-BIKE