*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/879698-The-Adventures-of-Winks
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #879698
A story about a unique goldfish. A story for children.
*Balloon1* *Balloon2* *Balloon3* *Balloon4* *Balloon5* *Balloon6*


It all started when I found myself here. I thought to myself, I wonder where everybody went? It seemed unusually quiet and creepy here. I looked outside this unfamiliar tank and saw an equally unfamiliar dimly-lit room.

Oh, I'm sorry, let me introduce myself. My name is Winks. I'm a goldfish. I am one of many, many children of my Mommy and Daddy who were also goldfish. I used to live at the pet shop in town. I had many friends there: Spot the puppy, Stripe the snake, and Furball, the kitten. Anyway, on with my story.

I woke up, yes fish do sleep. As I was saying, I woke up all alone in this strange room. I was so afraid. There was no one to talk to, except for the dim light there in the corner. I was in a new tank. I was not at home anymore.

I was afraid and alone. I just wanted to go home. Then, all of a sudden, lights from every part of the room came on. I heard voices. A man and woman in long white coats came to where I was. They were talking to each other. The man said to the woman, "I hope this will help."

The woman replied, "I think it will. We will soon see." Then the man and woman walked into another room. I was by myself again.

It wasn't long until more people arrived. Human Mommy's and Daddy's were coming in the room with their children. These small humans looked so sad and some of them were crying. I didn't know why. But then, something remarkable happened--their frowns turned into smiles when they noticed me! One by one, all the children were tapping on my tank with their pretty faces pressing on the glass. They were laughing and making faces. I wanted to let them know I liked them too, so I winked at them.

I know...I know...most fish don't wink...but I do! Winking is a gift I can give to children. And the children gave me a gift too. They gave me a name. So now you know why Winks is my name.

The man and woman in white came out to see the children smiling. "I knew it would help," said the woman. The man nodded with a smile.

Now I am very happy. You see, I was alone, but not anymore. I have more friends now than I ever had. This place I live at now, it is an office...a Doctor's office. The children that come here are very sick. They come to see that nice man and woman doctor to get better. I help by bringing a little joy into their lives. And every time I wink, I earn another smile!

*Balloon1* *Balloon2* *Balloon3* *Balloon4* *Balloon5* *Balloon6*
© Copyright 2004 TreeTree (teresaanderson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/879698-The-Adventures-of-Winks