*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/880123-I-Love-You-Like-Ice-Cream
by LoriB
Rated: E · Other · Children's · #880123
This is a story for children that looks at discrimination.
I Love You Like Ice Cream


It’s the first day of school and a time of growing up.
Both Ali and Lucy would like to stay with their moms for just a little longer.
But it’s time for Ali and Lucy to be brave and go to class on their own.

Ali’s mom says, “This little girl is starting school today too, maybe you can ask her to go with you so you wont feel so alone.” Ali sniffles and says, “Alright Momma.” Ali reaches and takes Lucy’s hand, together they walk to class feeling very frightened but much less alone.

Ms. Stacey greets the girls at the door welcoming them to the first grade classroom. “Here are your desks. You can sit beside one another and share a glue stick while we work on our first project.” Ali and Lucy liked that and had a wonderful time cutting, gluing and sticking. Lucy even got some in her hair. Ali helped pick the pieces of paper from her friend’s hair and giggled, “You are like ice cream, all sticky and sweet.”

At lunchtime Ali and Lucy ate together, they both had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. At recess Ali and Lucy played on the swings together, laughing and giggling, high and low, back and forth. During story time they sat together on the same mat and listened to Ms. Stacey read them a story. Together they shared an ice cream sandwich. Ali whispered to Lucy, “I love you like ice cream cause you are cool.” That made Lucy laugh; she had never heard anyone love a friend like ice cream.

By the end of the day Ali and Lucy were the very best of friends.

When the bell rang to signal the day's end, all of the children collected their things and went to meet their parents. Both girls were excited to see their families waiting for them and both girls looked forward to being together again tomorrow. Ali walked Lucy to her car. Lucy’s brothers were waiting there.
“Remember, I love you like ice cream” Ali called over her shoulder as she walked on to join her mom.

Lucy’s brother Marco said, “Who was that girl?”
“That’s Ali, she is my best friend.” Lucy proudly announced.
“But Lucy, she is Black. Your best friend can’t be black. We are not black.” said Marco.
“SO?” Lucy cried.
“Black people are different than us. You and your freinds are suppose to be the same. Crazy Lucy, you are not Black." Marco announced.

All the way home Lucy thought about her new friend and what Marco had said. Ali was a good friend. She liked to swing and laugh just like Lucy. They shared crayons, scissors and even lunch. But most of all, Ali made Lucy feel happy. Lucy was not happy now. She felt lonely again and very sad. With a tear rolling down her face Lucy cried, “ but she loves me like ice cream and I’m melting.”

When it was night, Lucy couldn’t sleep. She was too sad.
When it was morning Lucy couldn’t eat. She was too sad.
When the school bell rang to start a new day, Lucy wanted to stay with her mom. Her heart was too sad and she didn't want to go to school.

Mom said, “its time for class mija, you must go to your classroom now.” And without a fuss Lucy slowly made her way down the hallway all alone.

“Good Morning Lucy!” Ms. Stacey greeted, “We have been waiting for you. Today we are going on a field trip.” Lucy didn’t care. She had lost a friend because they were different.

Ali was waiting for Lucy with a smile and a laugh. “I love you like ice cream Lucy, I’m always glad to see you both.” Ali ran to Lucy, “We get to ride on a school bus today!If you would like to sit near the window, I don’t mind. Ms Stacey says we can sing on the bus and hold hands too.” Ali was talking fast because she was very excited. Lucy just looked at her shoes, feeling sad and lonely.

All of the children lined up and marched to the Bus two by two. Ali and Lucy were partners so they sat together. Ali was still excited. Lucy was quiet.

The bus trip got very loud and some of the boys started to tease Ali.
“ALI, ALI, OOPS.” They would chant and when they said oops they would swish her hair. “ALI, ALI, OOPS” they would do it again and again. Ali pleaded for them to stop. But again they would sing “ALI, ALI, OOPS” and swished her hair. Lucy didn’t seem to hear them. She was feeling sorry for herself and didn’t notice what was happening in the seat next to her until she heard “ALI, ALI, OOPS” and the sound of Ali crying.

“Stop that you mean boys. Ali is my friend!" Lucy shouted and shook her fist.

Lucy startled the boys. She had been quiet the whole trip, but she wasn’t quiet anymore and she was big too. The boys didn’t make another sound.

Ali reached out and grabbed Lucy giving her a big hug. “Thank you Lucy for making those guys stop. You are my best friend and I love you like ice cream. You are full of nuts.” Ali squealed. Lucy was happy again too. She did love Ali and didn’t care if they were different.

The bus stopped and all the children got off. Ms Stacey had brought them to a creamery where ice cream was made. The children were able to see the cows and the machines used to milk them. They were allowed to walk through the factory where butter and ice cream were made. Lucy and Ali held hands and skipped. They truly were best friends and they loved each other in spite of their differences.


At the end of the field trip Ms. Stacey led the children into a giant parlor where there were huge freezers full of every flavor of ice cream. There were 15 kinds of chocolate, 13 flavors of vanilla, and SO many different kinds of strawberry and other fruit ice creams. Some of them had nuts, some had marshmallows, some had coconut and even others had candies. They all looked yummy and sweet. Lucy and Ali licked their lips and gazed at all the many different varieties.

While trying to decide which ice cream she would have, Lucy realized what Ali had meant all along. Ali loved Lucy like ice cream. WOW. Ali and Lucy were both like ice cream. They were each a different flavor and their friendship was sweet.

Ali and Lucy enjoyed their ice cream and each other even more than they had before. Their differences didn’t mean they couldn’t be friends. Instead their differences made them special and helped to teach them to try and enjoy new things. They learned that friends and ice cream come in many different flavors and it would be great to try them all.

“I love you like ice cream Ali.”
“I love you too Lucy.”
© Copyright 2004 LoriB (nelora at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/880123-I-Love-You-Like-Ice-Cream