*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/883661-Goodbye-Letter
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Family · #883661
A letter writen to me when I was three by my dying grandmother.
I was three when my maternal grandmother died of lung cancer. I don't remember her.

When I was fourteen, my family moved out of the house where I had lived my whole life. While packing, my mom found a little pink envelope with my name on it in her room.

Reading the small note writen inside a little card with a kitten on the front made me feel a small connection with the woman I only knew from stories and photos.

That was ten years ago.

The other day, after pulling boxes out storage, I found my grandmother's goodbye note. And when I read it, I realized it is impossible for a teenager to understand what it must have felt like for her when she wrote that note. She knew she was dying. She was saying goodbye in the most loving way she could find.

I think ten years and three kids have taught me something. I can now relate to what it would feel like to say goodbye to family.

Today, in tribute to Catherine Turner, I thought I would share with you her goodbye letter to her three year old granddaughter.


June 1983

Dearest Sarah,

As a little one, you and I were good friends of the birds and a mischeivous snowy white lamb. And whenever you came to visit, we took a tour (you in my arms) around to see all the pictures, hanging on the wall. You loved it all. A happy little darling until you missed your mother!

I had hoped to be here longer but it is not in my calender. Just know that I love you very much.

"Gamma"
(what you call me)


And in reply, I say:

Dearest Catherine,

I love you, too!

Sarah
© Copyright 2004 Naughty Angel (legnaythguan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/883661-Goodbye-Letter