*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/885047-Gail-Plans-a-Surprise-Birthday-Party
Rated: E · Short Story · Community · #885047
Entry for Writing.Com's 4th Birthday Contest: based on prompts.
Chapter 1


First Empty Nester's Surprise Birthday Bash



“I am going to throw a surprise party for my husband and myself.” Gail’s words pierced the typical morning silence like an ambulance siren and the words that popped out of her mouth startled and amused her.

Why not? Gail continued thinking out loud. All the kids are gone, and everyone they knew was acting like it was suppose to be such a sad time in her and Rick’s lives. Actually, they were both delighted they had survived to see it. It was time for them to go. All three boys needed their very own places to call home. Places that they would be responsible for, and that they would have to pay the repair and maintenance bills. I am tired of lying to the neighbors and the police that the boys were just rough housing, or it was an accident, or they were just preparing for a hunting trip and didn’t mean to simultaneously discharge their guns multiple times through our roof. Yes, we were definitely looking forward to being empty nester's, and what better way to celebrate that fact than throw our very own party.

Of course, it will be a big surprise for Rick. And the fact that it is a first anything is just perfect because he is so convinced that he is getting old. He stopped celebrating his birthdays years ago claiming so many candles were a fire hazard. I have lectured him till I am blue in the face about the research that covers the young old, the old, and the old, old, but he just thinks that I am making it up to make him feel better. We are still part of the young old group.


Gail was at loading her dishwasher and as was typical was holding a complete conversation out loud with herself when Betty walked in and heard her saying, “I remember a stand up comic that use to talk about men didn’t get old, only women did, and that comic was more right than most people realize. It is common to see older men with women half their age walking around like young studs, but if you see an older woman with a very young man half their age then you know what people think…”

“And love don’t have nothing to do with it in either case, if you ask me.” Betty usually finished Gail’s sentences for her. She frequently caught her friend and neighbor talking to herself when she dropped over for coffee every morning after Rick left for work. “What are you planning, Gail?”

“Why do you ask?

“Because that much conversation usually means you have something in the works, that’s why.” Betty said pouring herself a cup of coffee and taking a seat at the kitchen table waiting for Gail’s reply.

“I want to have a party. I want to invite everyone. I want to have a party every year to officially celebrate our Empty Nest status.”

“You’re crazy! Most people suffer. Most people miss their children, but oh no, not you, you want to celebrate.” Betty looked at Gail in awe.

“Rick deserves something. If I had been him, I would have bailed. I even wanted to buy a camper and get a Post Office box and he calmly said the kids needed us and said, “NO”.

“I remember that, you were mad for months. You shopped for campers for months anyway, too, all the while hoping Rick would change his mind.” Betty was laughing so hard she snorted her coffee.

Gail handed Betty a roll of paper towels, “Serves you right for laughing at me, I am still shopping for a camper. Now let’s plan this party. We can rent the Municipal Auditorium. I got money. I can use the some of the money I have been saving for the camper.” Gail said with a wicked smile on her face.

“And are you going to get Rick a gift?” Betty asked.

“Oh, you bet I am, I think a nice Camper would be just perfect, don’t you think?”


~~~


Written for
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#884117 by Not Available.



And the prompt is:


Let's pretend....

Today is the birthday of someone very close to you, and you are planning the surprise party to end all surprise parties.

Begin your story as you are preparing the party on the big day, and end the first chapter any time before the big surprise.


Things to Consider:

Who is your main character?
Who are you throwing the surprise party for?
How old are they?
Who are you inviting t help surprise this person?
Where are you planning to surprise them?
Is there a particularly special gift involved?

Remember, if you're not having fun, you're not learning, so have fun with it!

© Copyright 2004 The Critic (thecritic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/885047-Gail-Plans-a-Surprise-Birthday-Party