*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/885351-Contest-Entry-Lets-Party-Part-3
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Community · #885351
Entry for the Writing.Com Fourth Birthday Bash Contest
Chapter 3

Surprise: Let’s Party!


Rick was a little annoyed that we only shared one pot of coffee, before I lied and explained we had errands to run as an excuse to get him to his own surprise party. He typically likes to spend his Saturday mornings on his computer and puttering around the house putting his various tools in order.

As we pulled our GMC Suburban up to the Municipal Auditorium Rick commented on how fortunate it was that there was a prime parking space big enough, right smack dab out front. He was a little taken aback by all the balloons and banners fastened to every fence post and lamp poll, but he still had not yet noticed the signs that said, “Happy First Birthday”. A sign that announced "First Birthday" surely would have have given him the impression there was a party for young children going on inside. Knowing him, he probably would have balked at the thought of attending a party with possibly a hundred screaming children. At this point in my life, I would have to agree with him; my patience is gone. The most wonderful thing about being an Empty Nester and a grandmother is the fact I can give the lovely darlings back to their parents when I get tired and have had enough. Parents don’t have that option.

As we entered the auditorium, I was busy watching for the expression on Rick’s face to change the exact moment he would realize that this whole birthday bash was for us. Somehow this whole party was still going to end up being a total surprise to him. Everyone in attendance had received their invitation that explained it was a surprise party, and the town folks had done a wonderful job of keeping the secret. There must have been 300 people circulating in a slow, rhythmic, circular motion.

Suddenly, the speakers started blaring a custom recorded rendition of Happy Birthday. People were waving banners with sayings like, “NO MORE KIDS”, and “THERE IS PRIVACY”. A large billboard size banner unfurled from the ceiling with the words “MAY YOU LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO CAUSE YOUR KIDS PROBLEMS.”

Rick stopped dead in his tracks. The Disc Jockey was now playing Semper Paratus, which is the theme song for the Coast Guard. Rick had spent over half of his life in military service.

“What is this?” Rick was pulling on my arm, and looking around the huge room filled with so many familiar faces. “What are we celebrating? Who is this party for?” He whispered, asking me as a line of men formed to shake his hand, and a line of women to give him a hug. Rick is not a touchy feely sort, and I knew this would soon get to be more than he could bear.

There were eight tables of food at each of the ends of the auditorium, and everyone was enjoying the generous and inviting spread. Cold drinks and a selection of brews were laid out in ice filled skiffs. This was almost as well done a job of feeding the masses as the story of the loaves and the fishes in the Bible.

All my fears of this Empty Nesters Birthday Bash turning into a blood bath had failed to materialize so far. It seemed that everybody was on their best behavior. The Disc Jockey was certainly earning his money; he entertained the crowd and played a delightful round of golden oldies, which included his orchestrating a brief thirty minute dance contest. There was some good natured jabs being tossed back and forth about squids, zoomies, sea going bellhops, dog faces, and shallow water sailors, but nothing much more serious.

Betty has been so much help in planning this event, and it is unlikely that everything would be going as smoothly if I'd of tried to do all of the preparation by myself. She was delightful, and always ready to jump in and lend a helping hand. I made a mental note to include Betty in more of my schemes. We have a neighbor that I suspect murdered his last two girlfriends, and the keystone cops think it is just a pure and simple, unfortunate coincidence.

Nancy, Tess, and Sally almost knocked me over along with the serving table as they ran over to share with me how much they were enjoying the party, and to thank me for inviting them. They too were empty nesters, and they each admitted never once did it occur to any of them to celebrate. I gladly welcomed their bringing me back to the reality of the moment; there was plenty of time to deal with murder mysteries later. I needed to keep my eyes squarely fixed on Rick's every move.

Rick had some how not yet noticed the 28-foot camper parked to the right of the huge ceiling banner with the big red bow mounted on top. There would be plenty of time for that, and when he would need a place to escape the camper was ready and waiting.

After about two hours of meeting and greeting people I could tell that Rick was getting nervous. He was beginning to pace, and looking around the room. I saw his face as his eyes finally spotted the camper. He stared for a moment, his eyes widening, then he closed his eyes hard and shook his head as if trying to shake something lose, and then opened his eyes again. Rick knew about how serious I was about wanting a camper. He also knew that I knew how serious he was when he had squelched the idea. I couldn't tell if it was the camper, or the big red bow that cause him to look like he was seeing things like a man in the desert seeing a mirage.

I stood frozen, glad to be somewhat hidden behind one of the food tables. I watched as Rick’s gaze never left the camper. He started working his way through the crowds, walking slowly towards the camper. His seemingly long trek occasionally interrupted by a well wisher.

Betty came bouncing up to me where I was spying on Rick. She was bubbling over with excitement, “He sees it. He sees it.” She kept repeating nervously.

“Shhhhh!” I whispered, afraid Betty's chatter would cast some kind of mysterious spell.

Rick could be so stubborn. I was beginning to feel that maybe I had made a mistake. I had a horrible sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Ugly doubt and self-loathing was creeping in, and now playing in the theater of my mind, in full Technicolor, was my worse nightmare. Rick would be furious enough to file for divorce, and our First Empty Nester’s Bash would be our last.

I could hear music. It sounded distant. People scattered about, gathered in groups of various sizes talking, the center of the auditorium filled with people dancing, an array of smaller tables located in the four corners of the large room with several hundred of our friends and neighbors dining, and the view all started to appear as one of those wildly wicked paintings. The kind of painting that seen from a distance seems quite normal, but the closer you get to it you realize it consist of individual paint dots. Dots unconnected, except when viewed collectively made something whole and recognizable.

As my husband, Rick, stood within an arms reach of the bow wrapped camper I felt my breath catch in my chest. Seeing only the back of his head, with every detail of each of the thousands of curls of his short, solid black hair, I felt I couldn’t breathe.

~~~


And the prompt is:
At this time, you are going to actually surprise your birthday person....!

Take everything that you have written so far and everything that has been prompted of you into consideration-- Remember, there is someone or something that must remain hidden from the birthday person.

Ideas for development:
How does the birthday person react to the surprise party itself?
What are the guests doing-- are there any activities going on?
(and if so, do these activities compromise the location of your secret mistake?)

Remember-- creativity counts, so be as inventive as you like....


© Copyright 2004 The Critic (thecritic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/885351-Contest-Entry-Lets-Party-Part-3