*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/885863-Sky-Demons
by Ratboy
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #885863
A Short Story of the Radical War. Set in the distant past of the War of the Night Series.
Sky Demons
A Tale of the Radical War

They were called Sky Demons; there was no other way to identify the creatures that had descended upon the lush green world. They came in hordes, appearing out of thin air, or sometimes striding confidently towards whatever walked on the planet.

Today was another day of trying to stay alive for the citizens of the planet of Tolarin; today was another day they had to survive the Sky Demons. The thick jungles of the verdant world provided ample cover for the mammalian creatures to hide in, ample cover for them to continually retreat to.

Sadly for the barely sentient inhabitant of Tolarin; there was no escape from what was coming for them. The creatures known to them only as Sky Demons were relentless, searching every moment for another trace of resistance on the large open world.

There was a lone Sky Daemon stalking the confined jungles of the open world of Tolarin, the massive hulking gray creature broke twigs and vines as it stepped amongst the mass of foliage that was all around. The monster had one goal; to find any resistance and end it. To this end, the indigenous inhabitants of Tolarin were a threat.

Scanning the mass of green with its dark maroon visor, the Sky Demon eventually found something and it reacted in turn. Raising one of its hulking arms, the gray metallic monster let loose a blast of blue light, tearing down the nearest trees in its path.

In return the now exposed humanoids turned around confused for moments before they turned and fled all in different directions. The massive hulk of living metal turned its attention to the nearest creature and followed it, the undergrowth beneath him giving way like thin ice.

Keeping up a brisk stride, the Sky Demon watched as the humanoid continued to run turning his head back for only a few moments before he realized the Demon was closing fast on him. Before the humanoid could even react to the continued chase the Demon raised the same arm it had before and let loose another stray bolt of blue, this time striking the humanoid in the back.

Taking only a few more steps the humanoid fell to his knees before buckling under weights he could no longer support. As he collapsed, the humanoid looked back at the Demon who had already turned its attention to the other escapees.

Two of the other humanoids had banded together as they watched their comrade gunned down by the hulking beast of living metal. Retreating into the forest the two Tolarin humanoids continued to run; undeterred by the approaching beast behind them.

Eventually one of the two stumbled on a vine in front of him, toppling over face first into the dry mud in front of him. The other Tolarin looked back long enough to see his companion reach up in a plea for help, only to be shot in the back by another blast from the Sky Demon.

Perhaps from some hidden internal instinct the remaining humanoid removed the crude weapon off his back as the Sky Demon readjusted itself. The small dagger fashioned out of bone gave off a dim reflection as the sunlight broke through the canopy of the forest.

Charging forward the humanoid stabbed the massive demon in the chest with his implement of death, the small dagger embedding itself in the silver flesh of the creature. Instinctively the humanoid raised the dagger forming a cut line along the Sky Demon’s chest.

In response the Sky Demon swatted the humanoid off to the side where he landed with his dagger at his side by a nearby trunk. Taking a few moments to raise his arm cannon up on level with the humanoid the Sky Demon gazed down at the comparatively small creature.

With only that moment of what was seemingly hesitation the humanoid grabbed the dagger and slashed his own throat, red blood gushing out of it like a river. The Sky Demon stood puzzled for only a few moments before he lowered his cannon and continued on to find further traces of resistance.

Other Demons would come soon for the two who were dead but not dead, they would put the survivors into their great cities that were already filled with the life forms of Tolarin. Today however there would be one Tolarin who would die by his blade.
© Copyright 2004 Ratboy (t_ratboy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/885863-Sky-Demons