*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/886899-Deceit-and-Betrayal
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #886899
A short story in dialogue only
Deceit and Betrayal
by Vivian Gilbert Zabel


          Why doesn’t this stupid computer work? "Grrrr!"

          “Uh, ma'am? Beating the computer screen doesn't help."

          “Aaaah! You scared me. Hey! Wait a minute. Who are you, and what are you doing in here? This is a restricted area.”

          “Yes, ma'am, I know, but I’m supposed to fix the computers around here. Some guy at the desk caught me as I was leaving, said you needed some work done on your computer. But, if you don’t. . .”

          “Wait, don’t leave. Yes, my computer needs work big time. Whew! Sorry, but it’s been a zoo around here. I'm supposed to keep up with all the other dispatchers and be able to dispatch with computers that don't work. Crazy!"

          “A pretty lady like you shouldn’t have to worry about anything. You find a smile, and let me see what I can do to help you.”

          Oh, my, he’s some sweet talker, but if he can fix the computer, well, that’s all that matters. Hmmm . . . wonder if he really thinks I’m pretty? He’s good-looking, but he's so young.

          “How long have you been on the police force?”

          “Hummm? Oh, nearly ten years.”

          “That long? You must have started mighty young. Uh, I think I’ve found the problem. I’ll have it fixed in a few minutes. Want an explanation?”

          “Ohhh? No, no, I probably wouldn't understand anyway.” Of course in a few minutes you’ll be gone. Oh, well, such is life, at least my life.

          “Let me introduce myself; my name is Norman Fields. I wonder, if, um, would you join me for dinner? I'm rather new around here and could use some friends.” I need you to join me and want me. Yes, I do need you.

          “I . . . I would . . . yes, if you don’t mind a late dinner. I won’t get off duty until six tonight. Oh, silly me. My name is Denise Woods.” A friend is better than nothing.

          “Then why don’t I pick you up here and . . .”

          “Oh, no! Uh, well, please, I need to change. I, uh, why don’t we meet somewhere?”

          “Sure. What about Outback Steakhouse on Northwest Expressway? Maybe seven thirty?”

          “That, that would be fine. At seven thirty, okay.”

* * *


         I’m late. Drat, I forgot the traffic. I wonder if he’s still here.

          “Hi, lovely lady. I was afraid you changed your mind, thought that some computer geek wasn’t worth meeting.” But I knew you would be here. Silly cow.

          “Oh, my, you startled me again. You do have a habit of popping up out of nowhere, don't you? I just didn't give myself enough time.” How can I be so lucky? 'Lovely lady,' oh, my.

          “I never meant to scare you. You do look gorgeous tonight. Shall we go in?” But if I didn’t need you, I wouldn’t be here. 'Lovely lady' - not.

* * *


          “Denise, are you daydreaming again?”

          “Hi, Marcia. I guess I was.”

          “Going out with that handsome man again? I noticed he left the break room about the time you did.”

          “He stops by and visits when he needs to check on any of the computers here. I guess homicide had some problems with some of theirs.”

          “How long have you been dating now?”

          “Nearly three months. Oh, I think maybe he’s going to ask me to marry him. We’re supposed to leave Friday, and he said it would be a week that will set the stage for the rest of our lives.”

          “I’m so glad, Denise. You needed someone so badly. I know how lonely you’ve been.”

          “I guess so, as many times as I’ve cried on your shoulder. Oh, Marcia, Norman makes me feel pretty and desirable. I look in the mirror, but I can’t see what he says he does. Yet, he loves me.”

          “You do look prettier. I guess happiness can do that, or love can.”

* * *


          “Detective Rogers, we found a TSR, a program, a kind of spyware, in your computer that allowed someone off site to access and use it. I’m sorry, but that’s how you’ve been getting threatening emails from your work computer sent to your home computer. Also how your files have been accessed.”

          “Hell, call me Martin. But, how did someone get to this computer? This is a police department.”

          “I’m sorry, but we just discovered it.”

          “Okay, Johnson, it’s not your fault, but how in the world did he get in here?”

          “Wish I had an answer for you. I’d better check out all the other computers here. See ya later.”

          “Hey, Martin, did you hear about Denise in dispatch?”

          “No, Kyle, what about her?”

          “She’s on a sudden vacation, and she had a boyfriend who ‘worked on computers’ who came around here a lot.”

          “Don’t tell me, people accepted him and let him have access to our computers. Damn, Kyle. Anyone know where she might be?”

          “One of the other dispatchers said she went on a trip with this 'Norman' about a week ago.”

          "And what is this Norman's last name? As if I can't guess?"

          "Yeah, you got it, Fields."

          "It's him! Anyone know where they were going. Did she tell anyone?" The man haunts me like an evil spirit. Huh, he is an evil spirit.

          "Nope. Sorry, Martin, I already asked."

          “He can’t win again. Why can’t we ever catch him?" I've come so close. Huh, guess that's why he hates me so much: I came close.

* * *


          “Oh, darling, this week has been wonderful. I’ve enjoyed every minute. But I dread going back to the mess at the office.”

          “Sweet, being with you like this has been like a dream.” Yeah, a nightmare, but just two more days before . . . “Huh? What mess?”

          “Some stupid computer virus or something. The experts are supposed to check everything out today.”

          “When did this happen? Everything was okay the last time I worked on anything.” No way they could have found . . .

          “I called Marcia on my cell phone early this morning. She told me that . . . Norman, what’s wrong? You look furious.”

          “I didn’t want to end our relationship like this, but I can’t have you around to give a description. Nope, guess we’ll say goodbye, permanently, right here.”

          “Norman, I don’t understand. You, uh, you said you loved me, you needed me.”

          “Yes, my darling, I needed you, and you fulfilled my needs beautifully. You passed me information that I couldn’t get any other way. You escorted me into areas of the police department that I couldn’t access. Your presence allowed me to 'work' on the computers. Yes, my dear, I needed you very much.”

          “I don’t understand. Norman, please . . .”

          “Don’t touch me! You make my skin crawl.”

          “But you love . . . You don’t love me?”

          “You mean you finally get the idea?”

          “What . . . what . . . What are you doing?”

          “Making sure you never talk again.”

          “Please, I won’t tell anyone anything. I promise. Please put that away.”

          “I know you won’t, my pet. You’ll be out here under the trees, communing with nature, creating fertilizer for the grass and plants. I’ll just ventilate you a bit. Trying to get away won't help.”

          “I don’t . . . I don't understand. Why? Why?”

          “Because, you stupid cow, I needed access to the police computers without anyone questioning me. You were the perfect cover. Plus the information you provided was so helpful. I could get to that damn cop. But you’re no good any more, and I can’t go back there again.”

          “No, no! Don’t! Don’t! Aiiii”

          “Uhh! There, no more witness, no one to identify me. So, I win again. What a shame. I’ll have to find another way to torment Detective Rogers. Very funny, he thought he could catch me.”



Entry for
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#631396 by Not Available.

Word count: 1,220

© Copyright 2004 Vivian (vzabel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/886899-Deceit-and-Betrayal