*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/889498-TWB-Homework-Assign-1
Rated: E · Other · Experience · #889498
Brief character sketch.
         Stacey stares blankly at the traffic crawling in front of her. She is used to the 104-mile round trip now with the constant stop-go for the first half, then the pleasure of the wind whipping through the car and the stereo blaring what her schizophrenic taste feels like that morning as zips past the airport at 80 miles an hour.
         She has been making this trip every day for the past nine months. She knows what billboards have changed, which toll booth attendants wave, the right spots to slow down and zip under the radar gun of state troopers trying to meet their monthly ticket quota. She knows that if traffic is heavy from 22nd street to the Ogden toll, it will be a long trip home. She knows when to ease up on the gas to avoid getting clipped by an overzealous driver, or how to catch the drag of a semi as it hurries to deliver its cargo.
         Despite all the confidence such driving-know how instills, she still feels inadequate. She set the bar rather high early on in her first job, and finds herself playing the role of CEO rather than new employee, always trying to make things more efficient. Hidden talents have blossomed; areas of her mind that were left untapped have delivered a wealth of knowledge and business know-how she feels she has sold herself short in the job market.
         She has invested so much time and energy into performing well and meeting the ridiculously high standard she has set for herself that she has neglected to enjoy anything. She feels she has to make up for the rocky start that she has ignored the few hobbies she wants to develop. All her time and energy is spent on her job, leaving little left to devote to her, and her mind is starting to reject the work intensity and her body is starting to crumble.
© Copyright 2004 G Money (econwriter5 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/889498-TWB-Homework-Assign-1