*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/891523-Short-Stories-Vol1
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Other · #891523
A set of short stories. Everything from Sci-fi to realistic fiction, short to long.
This first volume of short stories is comprised of some of my best peices. At the start of every peice I have also included details about the story. This means you can choose which stories you want to read based on the genre or content. The volume is currently under construction as i will be updating the page with any new items written by me that I think deserve to be shown. Thank you, from Ella.

1.Story: The Last Days
Genre: Sci-Fi
Rating: 13+
Synopsis: Apocalyptic Tale about end of the world.

The Last Days


Silence. Even the air was still. Silence and darkness yawned out over a cold barren plane. Then, as if from nowhere, a light, so blinding I could hardly see. Was it another attack? Or just some prank played by the Tundra kids? Who knew? You could never be sure these days, but people were always alert, always on edge. It could come any day now.

A far distant crackle of charged thunder. The ominous rumble of the earth as the shockwave passed beneath our feet. Eno crouched in the corner of our bunker, desperately clutching at her shoulders. The place had an air of distinct terror, like some overcrowded mental asylum. Lighting blinked, on, off, on, off. The dark hulk of Nenet, our resident mutant was slumped motionless in the corner.

We had been stuck here for a desperate four days. The maurauding Klan Fighter, who had once occupied the bunker, now lay in a decaying heap by the doorway. The stench was awful, but we had gotten used to it. A wrecked bunker wasn’t the choicest of homes, but anything was better than the open dead lands.

“Wish this would all end,” growled Nenet, “It would be good to not worry about living every day”.
“Don’t say that. Better not to talk about it,” muttered Eno.
I kept silent. Whatever happened, It would arrive.

The end was near; you could feel it in the air. The stale reek of destiny, the dark, cold cloud of fate.

Ever since the first Klan invasion, the sky had been grey. It would never brighten, the alien Klan had made sure of that. Earth was now just a rotting slab of humanity, drifting through a devastated solar system. The Klan would move out now, leaving behind their old game. Go on, slowly and surely, to play havoc on another plant, another race, another people. We were but one pawn, in an endless game of intergalactic chess.

In the dull sky, lights flashed incessantly. Eno whimpered and I walked over to comfort her. I could feel her thin body, shaking under the threadbare cloak.

“What will happen after all this?” Her quiet voice drifted up to me, trembling slightly.
“I don’t know. I really don’t know.” I sighed, “There might be hope.”
Nenet chuckled, a deep throaty laugh.
“Are you kidding? There’ll be nothing left. Just chunks of rubble, floating around in the endless expanse of space. There is no hope. Not now.”

At a noise from outside, I drew my flash pistol and shifted to a secure place by the window. Cautiously looking out, I moved my firearm for a clearer shot at the intruder. Something scurried past the window ledge. I relaxed. Only a raccoon.

For another hour, I stood alert by the window. I was not going to let my guard down again. The dying sun was sinking over the barren wasteland like a defeated battleship. Crows swooped over the scarce scrub. They fought desperately for even the smallest morsel. I was like the birds, lost and hungry, but unable to do anything about it. These were the last days. The final throes of a once strong people. Who could say what had gone wrong? The world had slowly been tearing itself apart for centuries; this was just the last cut. Humanity, holding on by the thinnest strand, was about to fall.

It was a shame. We had once done great things. Invented the television, created the nuclear bomb and formed the first ‘Evolved Human’. These same things had destroyed us and left us with nothing. They had lain open the way to our final death and destruction.

In the open air, a white bird fluttered past. It seemed to be the only thing not touched by the darkness. I smiled to myself.

Eno struggled up from her corner and stumbled over next to me. She stared thoughtfully out of the window.
“You know, I’m not scared anymore,” she whispered.
I held her close.

Outside, the wind whipped up and in the coldness of the night, the sky bore down in a heart-stopping silence. Then, a blast, so loud it deafened the ears. One huge wave of noise, rippling across the land. Blinding light, Eno’s face staring up at me and…clouds.

* * *


2.Story: Elsa
Genre: Emotional
Rating: 13+
Synopsis: Young Girl in Glasgow living with family issues.

Elsa


It was a very rainy day. Water poured down drenching the people on the pavements, saturating the ground. The main street was crowded with a heaving mass of dripping umbrellas. People moving, going places, in spite of the rain.

From the window of a top floor flat, Elsa sat, staring at the world beyond. She watched as millions of tiny droplets hit the window and trickled to the sill. It was as if the whole world was crying, sobbing out all its pains. But she knew this would all be over soon. Her feelings remained bottled up until the next downpour.

Carelessly, she wound a lock of hair around her finger, pressing her forehead to the glass. In the background, the sound of her parents fighting. Loud shouts and yelling disturbed the uneasy silence of the rooms. Pitched voices rose and fell in anger. Those constant undulating tones, never-ending, like a distant siren.

It was always like this. A row or upset every other moment, a major fight each hour. This had been life for the past five years. Ever since Uncle Mick had died, Dad had been devastated. He was forever going out to the pub and getting drunk out of his mind. Mum just couldn’t cope any longer.

Outside, the people glided past, going about their daily lives. Unaware of the shouting of abuses going on behind locked doors.

Elsa glanced away from the window, letting her gaze roam around her room. Her bookshelf void of books; her bed with its worn mattress; her cupboard now empty. Was this all she had left? Through the door she could glimpse shadows stamping about and gesticulating wildly. Her gaze slipped to the suitcase by her feet.

Slowly she stood. Lifting her case, she moved quietly to her bedroom door. Creeping past the kitchen, into the hall, opening the latch, she slipped out. Down the flights of stairs, out into the rain.

The first few minutes of freedom, she pushed through the umbrella-wielding crowd, running between the passers-by. All the time, focused on escape.

When Elsa stopped, she was out of breath, clothes drenched. She stationed herself in a dingy doorway on a back lane. Now that she was away from it all, she could let everything out. Warm tears came to her eyes. She sobbed to the cold, quiet street. Wave upon wave.

A wind whipped up and threw cool rain in her face. She looked upwards.

“The whole world’s tears?” she smiled to herself. “Ha, too true.”

The torrents had lashed down on Easterhouses, turning roofs to waterfalls, swelling gutters. Grey clouds now drifted through a darkening sky. The evening was cold and night was drawing in. The last rays of the dying sun gleamed like jewels off the raindrops.

Elsa sat, listening to the stillness. Her breathing calmed. The rain was slowing to a sigh.

* * *


3.Story: A Place to Call Home
Genre: Fan-Fiction
Rating: 13+
Synopsis: Based loosly around school life of Chester Bennington ('Seth'). Story is fictional and does not, relate to actual events.

A Place to Call Home


Sunlight danced off the walls of Chrissie’s bedroom, playing over the unpacked boxes by her dresser. She lay in the bed staring at her reflection in the dusty mirror. Her family had only moved to Phoenix six days ago, her stuff was still in boxes and it was already the first day of term. Having not even moved from her bed, she already knew the day ahead would suck.

It was always the same. The one thing Chrissie hated most of all was the first day at a new school. Even before she moved to a place, she knew she wouldn’t fit in. she couldn’t work out what it was that made people pick on her, avoid her, or simply just ignore her. Maybe other kids just couldn’t accept that she was smarter than them. Chrissie liked to think that, but knew it was probably the strange haircut, geeky glasses and unusual clothes that let her down the most. The fact that she declined to dress slutty and plaster make-up on her face had constantly singled her out from all the wannabe Homecoming Queens in her previous schools. Why would Greenway High be any different?

“Chrissie! Wake up, wake up!”

“Oh man, not again,” she tried to hide her head under the bedcovers.

It was her kid brother, Madden, ready to create havoc as usual. He came bounding unto her bedroom, easily skipping over her barricade of cardboard. Jumping onto her bed with a grin like a mad hyena, he pulled the duvet off, ripping them from her grip.

“Hey, you’re not even dressed yet. Get out of your PJs and get ready!”

“No! Can’t be bothered.”

“Aww come on. It’ll be fun”

“For you maybe…”

Grudgingly she sat up, ran her fingers through her black hair and wiped her glasses on the hem of her pajama top. Placing them on her face, Chrissie stood up and stumbled wearily to the bathroom. As usual it was engaged, most likely with her older brother Jake. She leaned on the wall and sighed, the wait would mean she would be late on her first day… again.

Chrissie dashed down North 41st Avenue, book bag bumping against her back. She noted that wearing black today had maybe been a bad idea. The hot Arizona Sun saturated her skin. God, it felt like she was baking from the inside out! A haze of heat rose from the sidewalk and she glared enviously at an open-top Chevrolet as it breezed past. If only she had passed her driving test.

Exhausted and thoroughly fed up, she passed through the main gates only to hear the bell ring. Chrissie cursed as she crossed the car park and ran into the building. Up a few sets of stairs until finally she reached her classroom. She edged open the door, trying to sneak in to a seat at the back of the class.

“Ah, Miss Christine Richmond. Nice of you to join us, we were wondering when you’d turn up.”

Wishing she could retreat into a shell, Chrissie blushed as a sea of inquisitive faces turned to stare.

As she had predicted, class time went badly. First period in Science she ended up sitting next to a fat blond girl who seemed to glare constantly. The kid vaguely reminded Chrissie of a Chihuahua she had seen trying to gnaw off the tyre on a paperboy’s bike. The bulging eyes were defiantly the same but the sizes didn’t quite match up. Chuckling at the comparison had only brought on another round of glaring. Typical.

Later in Math and then again in English, she noticed that no one really cared she was there. All the popular girls hung around chatting to guys from the football team, whilst the nerdy kids huddled in their scientific frenzy, jotting down notes. Others sat with notebooks open, laughing with their pals. Just like in all the other high schools she’d been to, she was left out because she was different.

The bell went for lunchtime recess and the pupils flocked from the school buildings, scattering like disturbed pigeons. A few chose to eat in the cafeteria but most sat on the benches or lounged round on the lawn in the balmy heat. Avoiding the deep fat fryer and its queue for greasy chips, she picked up a burger from the rack and found a vacant spot on the grass.

Pulling at a strand of her unevenly cropped hair, Chrissie closed her eyes and raised her face skyward. Sunrays played across her eyelids. The chatter of pupils faded away and everything seemed peaceful. A slight breeze blew wisps of hair from her forehead. Chrissie was in heaven; she could have relaxed like that all day.

Twang. The sound of a guitar tuning up broke the silence. Unsure what to make of it, she shielded her eyes from the sun and looked in the direction of the noise. A group of students were gathering in the center of the lawn. Intrigued, Chrissie crept over and sat down at the back of the small crowd. She nudged the kid in front and asked him what was going on.

“Oh, this? Its only Anarchy Factor. They sometimes play out here during extended lunchtimes and stuff.”

“Are they any good?”

“Meh, s’pose so… not really my kinda music. But its fun watching anyway.”

As the kid turned away from her, ignoring her as per usual, Chrissie contemplated asking him more. But, losing her nerve, she turned away. He would only get annoyed with her. She craned her neck to see around him. Through the crowd, the band was preparing their equipment.

At first glance, the members of the band didn’t look like much. There were four of them; two were tuning up their guitars whilst the vocalist fiddled with the height adjustment on the mic. Chrissie remembered the bands in her previous schools; none had been very memorable. She expected this band would be more of the same static pop or cheesy rock she had heard so often.

However, as soon as the lead guitar played the opening chords she knew this was something entirely different. The lyrics were meaningful and evocative, the singer singing the words so captivatingly. Chrissie gazed up at him. It wasn’t like he was amazingly handsome or anything, in fact he looked kinda geeky. Quite thin with round glasses and a mass of brown curly hair, he wore a long brown trench coat and baggy gray pants. It was his eyes that really grabbed her. They were dark brown and so deep that she could have fallen into oblivion. At some moments she was sure he was looking directly at her.

Chrissie sighed, hearing the bell go in the background. People around her got up to leave but she lingered, savoring the moment. The bell stopped and she reluctantly clambered to her feet. She would have happily sat there trough the next lesson but it seemed pointless now the band were gone. Making her way to Theatre Arts class, Chrissie looked at her watch.

“Oh Crap!”

She arrived in the greenroom behind the stage just in time. Letting the book bag slide off her shoulder, she slumped down into a chair. The teacher hadn’t seemed to notice her. Good. The last thing she wanted was to be chucked out for tardiness. As if reading her thoughts, a voice came from beside her.

“Wouldn’t worry about Old Huntley, he’s half blind anyway.”

Chrissie turned ‘round and her breath caught in her throat.

“Hey, didn’t I see you on the lawns at lunch?”

“Um… yeah.” Chrissie said, trying hard not to blush, “You were really good by the way.”

“Thanks.” He grinned.

Self-consciously, Chrissie wound a lock of hair around her finger. She cursed herself for having nearly hacked it all off in angry defiance last weekend. She must look a state!

“Seth Turner! Is that you chatting?” Mr Huntley yelled, “I may be blind but I’m not deaf! Now open your notebook.”

Seth winced and smiled guiltily. Giggling to herself, Chrissie tried to appear like she was working but secretly glanced sideways at him. It seemed his smile was contagious and she had to hide the huge grin spreading across her face.

The rest of the lesson went surprisingly well. Out on the stage, Mr Huntley got the class pairing up to practice readings from ‘See How They Run’. Most of the students, having been at Greenway High long enough to form close relationships, immediately moved towards their best mates. Fearing she would get left out, Chrissie cautiously tugged on the sleeve of Seth’s trench coat. Hesitantly, she asked if it would be all right for her to be his partner. He nodded.

From the start of the exercise, things started getting out of hand. One tall brunette called Mel started a fight with another girl over who got to be Penelope, they started a shoving match and everyone laughed when she nearly fell off the stage. Mr Huntley yelled at a few kids but couldn’t keep it up. Other kids simply rejoiced in going over-the-top with their parts overacting them to the limit. Seth was one of them. Chrissie had to restrain herself from bursting out laughing every time he pulled a funny face.

When the final bell went, she was kind of sad it was all over. She pushed through the crowds to the front doors. Stepping outside, she noticed Seth standing on the steps with his mates from the band. He looked up as she walked down towards them.

“Hey Chrissie,” he smiled, “see ya tomorrow then?”

“Sure thing!” she replied.

Happily, she strolled through the school gates and took a deep breath. The air had the distinct taste of summer: cut grass, cool breeze and comforting warmth. She expected that she would see Seth again tomorrow. Jauntily, she wandered along the sidewalk and thought about how life really wasn’t that bad after all.

* * *


© Copyright 2004 Renocchi (genzb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/891523-Short-Stories-Vol1