*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/892867-Poetry-Newsletter--October-9
Rated: ASR · Editorial · Writing · #892867
What poetry is to others. October 9, 2004
         Since I have been an editor of the W.Com Poetry Newletter, I have received some static and argument as to what poetry is or should be. Therefore I decided to devote the next two issues to what others consider poetry to be.



editor next week: John~Ashen


What Poetry Is to Others


         I opened a survey to members of Writing.Com. Here are some of the results, and the remaining responses will be next month:


1. What components or aspects are necessary for good poetry?


Lady Stars : "Does it make sense, have flow, rhythmn."

Aradne : "Um, thought and a focus. You can't say 'a dog in the window, Three snippets of glue on the floor' unless they somehow connect.

Elisa the Bunny Stik : "Rhythm, punctuation, word choice."

Holly Jahangiri : "Fresh, descriptive language; images that appeal to all the senses, expressed in concrete, concise terms."

kittiara: "The emotions are the most important to me, and the imagery. After that I look at the rhythm and flow. I also need to see the author cares about the poem, so I don't like seeing lots of typos."


2. How would you define "poetry"?


Lady Stars : "words from the heart."

Aradne : "Hmmm. Hard question, will ya? ok, maybe graceful thoughts put into words."

Elisa the Bunny Stik : "Poetry- quasi-spontaneous emotional outbursts lacking strict grammatical conventions."

Holly Jahangiri : "A snapshot in words; a frozen moment in time; the crystallization of emotions and ideas."

kittiara: "Poetry is a form of self expression. Of feelings and thoughts and inspiration flowing from or through the author into words. I say through because often my poems seem to want to be written."


3. If a poem doesn't have punctuation and/or capitalization, how do you understand where thoughts begin or end?


Lady Stars : "Most of the time I won't read it if there is no punctuation."

Aradne : "Well, read it through without pauses, unless one is hinted at by a line break."

Elisa the Bunny Stik : "I play around with with the words, trying to find an ending combination that fits with the rhythm."

Holly Jahangiri : "Through the deliberate use of line breaks or other careful formatting. Too often, though, the lack of punctuation/capitalization is affected in an attempt to be 'more poetical.'"

kittiara: "I tend to prefer punctuation, but the absence of it can work as well, if there is an obvious rhythm. I tend to read poetry aloud, and it tends to come to me then naturally, as I am sure it does to others. The only thing I dislike is when people do not cap the word i. For some reason that just seems ..off?"


4. What do you not like to see in poetry?


Lady Stars : "Little i's drives me crazy."

Aradne : "Um, obviousisms. (is that a word?) If you come straight out and say it, it's not really poetry."

Elisa the Bunny Stik : "Overabundance of imagery; I feel that if there's too much imagery, the message of the poem is muddled or lost."

Holly Jahangiri : "Trite, sappy expressions; overused words and phrases; overexplanation requiring overuse of 'to be' and 'to have'; too many conjunctions."

kittiara: "As above, the word I not capitalised. It just seems incorrect. Also if the poet seems to use "posh" words just to impress, it tends to put me off a bit. Poetry in my opinion shouldn't be to impress, but to express."


5. If poetry is obscure or unclear, do you like it or dislike it? Why?


Lady Stars : No-I need to be able to understand the message whatever it may be.

Aradne : "Yes. Um, I spend a while thinking about it to figure out what it meant."

Elisa the Bunny Stik : "It depends on the poet. If I am used to reading vague poetry from a poet, I like it. However, if someone goes from coherent to obscure, it's uneasing."

Holly Jahangiri : "If it tastes good on my tongue when I read it, yes. If it's just obscure for obscurity's sake, no."

kittiara: "It depends on the poem really. Sometimes a vague poem, or a poem that is simply very different, can still have its own beauty. If I see the author cared, that aids it a lot."


6. What is your favorite type of poetry to read? To write? Why?


Lady Stars : "Emotional from the heart to read/write-it makes for the best poetry."

Aradne : "The most obscure gossamer and rambliest of poems. see #5."

Elisa the Bunny Stik : "Dark, violent poetry (for reading and writing); it also for sporadic but potent imagery use."

Holly Jahangiri : "I enjoy reading formal verse, and free verse when it's done very well. I like writing sonnets. I've begun to enjoy writing free verse - but I've noticed it's usually either very good or very bad."

kittiara: "You know, I am not sure what type of poetry I write. I just write as it comes to me. I don't know that much yet about the different forms, and enjoy reading all sorts of poems."


7. What is your favorite poem on the site? (Those who entered this information were asked to give a bitem link, but some didn't give the link.)


Aradne : "um. no favorite. How about my new one? 'Bestowed'?"

Elisa the Bunny Stik :
Turning Point  (ASR)
Who would have guessed this would happen?
#877046 by Elisa the Bunny Stik


Holly Jahangiri :
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#316504 by Not Available.


kittiara: "That is a difficult one as I have read many different ones. But one of my favorites is
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#887561 by Not Available.
"



8. Other comments:


Aradne : "Poetry shouldn't be too long."

Elisa the Bunny Stik : "I get really irked when people request that I use more imagery. I use imagery sparingly to create a bigger impact on the reader."

Holly Jahangiri : "I have a real love/hate relationship with poetry; I appreciate it, when it's well-written, but I cringe when it's badly done. And I've read enough good poetry to be picky about it. That said, I'm not thrilled with 90% of the poetry I've written, and I don't expect to be crowned Poet Laureate in this lifetime."

kittiara: "I am by no means an expert when it comes to poetry. So I just go by my own opinion and how a piece makes me feel. I hope therefore that my comments make sense."




Highlighted Items


         This week, please visit the ports of those who responded to the survey.

         Next month, another six answers for each question will be given.





Your Feedback and a Question for Month after Next


         Some of the comments from the issue on free verse didn't make their way into last month's issue, so here they are:


brita

Just wanted to say thanks for doing a great job! I always look forward to reading the helpful pointers you provide. It inspires me to be a more excellent writer!


Jale DeCrittare

Thank-you for the informative letter on free verse. I have always loved this form and, in my mind, the 'rebellousness' of the style. Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to your next newsletter.


Kendra

I just have to say that this was an excellent newsletter! You've given a clear view of what free verse poetry is and what it isn't. I think your points are very valid and am glad you brought up the bit on punctuation and capitalization, both of which are so often ignored. Great job on this!
-Kendra


Thank you so much. Comments like yours inspire me to keep working.


         Now a few comments about last month's issue:

mrsjoshwalker

Thank you for this newsletter. My husband is a soldier and a poet. he is awaiting orders to ship out overseas, and we have only been married for 2 and 1/2 months. This gives me a bond point for reference. Thank you so much.


I hope he is also a W.Com member. We would enjoy reading some of his poetry, and this site makes a great meeting spot online for couples.


billwilcox

Hey Viv,
Loved the newsletter, as usual. I also love the Terza Rima Sonnet form. I like all poetry forms really, because they provide a challenge to find just the right words to fit the exact amount of syllables allowed. Sometimes it can be a real brain teaser, which I find stimulating and fun.
Thanks for sharing,
W.D.


Thanks, Bill. I enjoyed working with the Terza Rima Sonnet, even though I don't always enjoy all poetry forms.


TaintedFemale

Hey there, Viv!

Did you notice that in this Sonnet by Robert Frost, the rhyming of the couplet at the end (you’ve dubbed, [ee]) also rhymes with the (aba) pattern at the beginning, with it actually being (aa). It seems to bring the whole poem into a full circle.

Thanks for always bringing these new types of poetry for us to try out! You’re doing a wonderful job, so please keep it up!

Cheers,
Anood


No, I hadn't noticed that rhyme scheme going back to aa. Wow! That's interesting.



          Here's a question for you to answer for month after next: What form {sonnet, free verse, blank verse, etc.} do you prefer and why? Please give a bitem link to a poem (yours or someone else's) that is a good example of that form of poetry.


Until next time, keep reading and writing beautiful poetry.

sig by Pass It On
© Copyright 2004 Vivian (vzabel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/892867-Poetry-Newsletter--October-9