*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/894026-THE-SIN-EATERS
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Tragedy · #894026
An abusive man controls his wife while she tries to free herself from his madness.
Shattered glass broke the silence. Shelly gurgled as she screamed. Blood trickled from the corner of her mouth clashing with the burgundy lipstick that enhanced her feminine qualities.

Gary's fists battered Shelly about the face and he kicked her to the ground! Shards of broken glass fell within her light purple blouse when she fell against the window. The glass gouged into the flesh of her back when she fell to the floor and for a moment her eyes rolled up.

Every time she struggled to get up her skin shredded like cheese against the teeth of a grater. Writhing in terrible pain Shelly wretched with gruesome misery. Her shirt ruined. And now her once beautiful face would pock of new scars.

In one quick movement Shelly blocked his stomping foot and knocked him off balance. This was her chance to try and get up and fight back.

Deflated from the heavy boot that had landed on her stomach like an anvil, she gasped for air. The fat fucking steak eating pig was drunk again. Shelly rolled left to her side to get on her knees and more pieces of glass jabbed into her arm. With her heart pounding the blood was quick to let out, and now her long dirty blond hair looked like a scene from a horror movie.

Gary was stunned for a moment. He shook off the fall and his rage focused. Embarassed that she bested him, Gary ripped at Shelly's hair and got to his feet before she was able to. She should have stayed down! Now he helped her to her feet only to swing her across the kitchen and into the refridgerator. Its contents fell to the floor and the old metal sauce pan landed within her reach. Soaked hair strands stuck to his thick fingers. Coagulants made it sticky.

Again he kicked Shelly. This time in her slender thighs. He kicked her repeatedly like a dog that pissed on the carpet. She grimaced in pain and he leaned over to reach for her. It was now or never. Shelly grabbed the black heavy pan as he bent down, and she smashed him hard. Blood flowed from his skull in an instant. Now he lay stretched out cold. Shelly put distance between them and cried with out end.

I know this, because I was there. Peaking through the window in the dark of night. I'm her neighbor and I've heard these random beatings for some time now. This time I got up the courage to see for myself. I'm ashamed to admit that I was too scared to intervene. Gary is alot bigger than me. I sneaked back home, like a coward.

Random beatings were Gary's hallmark. He showed his love by demeaning her and owning her, for he was the God and she his servant. Why she tolerated this I will never know.

He usually only got violent on Fridays after stopping at the bar on his way home from working at the construction site. And sometimes on the weekend. Most of the time it was just him screaming. Lately from what I could tell, he has become violent.

There is nothing I can do, I'm 145 lbs. And this janitor at a school has no desire to have his brains scrambled. He is twice as big as me. Regardless; This has got to stop.

I have spoken to both of them several times over the past couple of years. The picket fence separates our properties and I stay on my side. They seemed okay I guess but my view of him has quickly changed.

I live alone. Well, me and my two pit bulls. Thats all I got out of my divorce. A couple of dogs that eat me out of house and home. I managed to pick up some used furniture that I discovered in the classified adds of the news paper.

So here we are. Them in their shack and me in mine. The only two houses left standing on this old farm road. The other farm house up the road from us has been reduced to the essence of its structure and the roof caved in long ago.

While this is a shit hole compared to what I am accustomed to. It is the only place I could get my ass in with what little money I managed to scrape up. Yeah, I'm bitter from the divorce. Who wouldn't be? It cost me everything just to lose and now her lover boy enjoys the fruits of my labor. Damn straight I'm pissed!

Some weeks have gone by now and I have heard a few arguments but nothing like what I had recently witnessed. I also had another chance encounter with Shelly. She now seems alot more withdrawn than when I had first met her. At least she said hi to me. Perhaps it's embarrassment or loss of self esteem. Regardless, her demeanor was different.

This was an opportunity to try and see if she was in need of a friend to talk to. So I asked her about Gary being loud sometimes. I just wanted to let her know that I here him and am subtly aware of what is going on. Her reluctance to talk was evident as she merely explained that sometimes when he drinks he is an asshole. A soft broken smile followed. The kind that only a beaten, battered and broken hearted women could muster.

It's nearly mid October and the nights are getting cooler here in north west New Jersey. I enjoy the windows open just a bit this time of year. That's why I heard the three cars pull into the driveway next door. I noticed the guys carrying a few cases of beer and one guy had a plain brown bag.

The pugnacious bunch needed no introduction as they arrived. Yelling and hollering as they clunked up the steps to the front door. It sounded like they were attending a super bowl party. A moment later they shuffled inside and even with the door closed I could hear the muffled rantings of old friends.

My time was spent on the computer searching the various dating sites. After the divorce all I wanted was to be alone. Now I confess, I'm lonely and wish I had someone to go on a date with or maybe watch a movie. The dogs keep me company but it is obviously not the same as the company of a women. I've been searching various sites for hours now and darkness has fallen.

It had been surprisingly quiet next door for quite a while. I figured they must have settled down to some food and a movie. This wasn't really noticeable at first but then I started hereing them ranting and raving. Perhaps I was wrong.

My stomach turned when I heard the first shrieks from Shelly. There is a good amount of distance between our houses and when I heard those awful cries I knew right then that evil would prevail. The muffled screams seemed to plead for something. I couldn't imagine that Gary would beat her with these guys around and that they would do nothing.

I closed my windows. I don't need to here this shit! I'm not even in the mood to look for a cyber date now. I could still here sounds from next door when I made my way across the room to turn on the TV. Maybe a couple of guys got into a fight in a drunken rage. That could be why I heard Shelly screaming.

About fifteen minutes passed when I could not resist opening the back door to here if anything was going on. It was Shelly! All I could really here was Shelly screaming, fighting, pleading and the sounds of drunken men!

I could stand it no more. For the second time I would cross the fence to see for myself. In the blackness I crept to a window and peered inside. Oh no! Tears welled up in my eyes. They were raping her! The fucking scumbag Gary stood naked with his feet on her hair. Shelly was unable to escape and just writhed and struggled as the other naked men raped her in turn.

My own tears streamed from my face and I want to vomit. It is my disgrace that I stand here watching and did nothing. I feel so sick; And I'm ashamed that fear prevents me from trying to stop this brutal assault. In court they should be fileyed like fish and eaten like hamburgers!. Yet I know, the day for justice would never come to these criminal, animal like hyenas.

Shelly did her best to fight but the men restrained her tightly. Now they rolled her on to her stomach and again Gary stepped on her hair pinning her head down. The next guy proceeded to take her from behind and all the while Shelly cried. She was too well restrained to be able to fight and was defeated completely.

In shock I crept back home. I wish I never looked! I'm so sick to my stomach! The bathroom waited for me and and I started puking over and over again until nothing but dry heaves were left. Worst of all is that I know Shelly is still being raped! How could they do this horrible thing? Why? Why would they do this to her? I sit on the floor and lean against the bathroom wall and my tears wont stop.

I would call the State Police but they are far from here. I also know that the only person that could be aware of this hideous crime was me. The last thing I need is retaliation for my involvement. Now I'm left with the guilt of knowing what I wish I had never known. I wish that I didn't see what I saw, and tears continue to run down my face.

Still, I dry heave and wretch. My stomach is inside out and as I sit here helpless waiting to puke again, I know she is still being raped!

I plead, God help! Help her! Help me to help her! Oh God! ... Slinking to my side on the floor of the bathroom I moan and pray and cry. I hate myself! I hate them! And that God damn scumbag Gary! I hate him! She doesn't deserve this!

An hour or so later I heard the cars leave the scene of the crime. I wonder how Shelly is and how that worthless shit can stand his own presence. Something has to be done...And I'm gonna do it!

Sleeping is useless; I can't. Instead my thoughts are horrible. Defensive monsters roam my mind demanding justice. My life has changed in an instant of madness. A vigilante has awoken. With silent secrecy I swear this will never happen to her again!

A new day has dawned. Disgusted and furious, anger fills my heart and I am consumed with hate! I now know what I must do.

First thing is to go to a hardware store and buy several large tarps and a bunch of duct tape. I guess all the crime drama shows have helped to educate me. I will purchase from a store very far from here. Needless to say, my tracks will be covered. It is Gary and his evil ways that have poisoned me and move me to the unthinkable.

I decided to head into Pennsylvania on the weekend to make my purchase. Instead of a hardware store that has cameras I went to the big flea market and found what I needed. I also picked up additional door locks for the outside of the doors. On the way home I replay my plan over and over again.

On Friday night I will be at the bar that Gary frequents. I will wait in my car and follow him home after I dump a huge amount of sugar in his gas tank. His truck will soon stop running down the road and I will conveniently stop and give him a lift home.

The weekend was spent with my preparing the walls of my room with the tarp. After emptying the room of everything I lay the over sized tarp on the floor and up the walls. The next tarp will be tacked to the ceiling and come down the walls. Additional tarp will overlap the tarp that is already in place and duct tape will complete the seal. The two door ways will soon be cut out so they can open yet still provide a barrier. It is this combination of doors that best serves my purpose which is why I chose this particular room. With the external locks installed this room is now a death chamber.

The small room that goes into the chamber has now been completed in tarp and duct tape as well. This is where I will store the pit bulls, Chomper and Shelby. I will starve them for about four days giving them just enough food to keep them alive.

My plan is to lure Gary into the death chamber to get an estimate for the fictional leaky roof. I will have a gallon of beef juice with smoked ham juice mixed in. When he enters the room the bucket of chum will be in place to dump on him. In an instant I will release the mad starved dogs. The doors will be locked from outside when I exit and Gary shall meet his fate.

Friday has arrived and the dogs are crazy with hunger and locked in their room. The ham and beef chum has been prepared and awaits in a bucket in the corner of the chamber. With nervous anticipation I'm driving to the bar where Gary frequents with predictability. Darkness has fallen. The first step of my plan begins.

Like a shadow in the dark I slink from my car with a five pound bag of sugar and a funnel in hand. A minute later I return to my car and wait. Will the truck go even a mile before it gums up and shuts down or maybe just a half mile? I wonder.

Show time! Gary climbs into his pick-up and fires it up unsuspecting. His tires spin in the loose gravel as he enters the back country road. Red tail lights disappear around the bend and I start my engine. A couple of cars go by before I enter the roadway. Flashing lights ahead indicate that the sugar is working.

Slowly I pull up to offer assistance and I hear Greg cursing. He seemed a little bit relieved to see that it was his good neighbor that has come to his aid. I play dumb and ask what the problem is. Gary explained that the fucking piece of shit just started acting up and then died. I was quick to offer him a ride home and a way back in the morning. With his confidence won Gary climbed in my car and thanked me.

Small talk followed and I mentioned my leaky roof. Told him if he stopped in real quick for a look I could find a cold beer to offer. His compliance came easy as my hospitality should not be ignored not to mention a free beer.

Everything was coming together like clock work and my anxiety was well concealed. Butterflies trembled in my stomach as we pulled into my driveway. We walked straight to the back of the house and could here the dogs barking before we even entered the chamber.

The door closed behind us and Gary observed the blue room. In one quick move I introduced the chum when his back was to me. I dumped it all over his head! The pit bulls were released at nearly the same time and before he even knew what was happening the dogs were on him. I screamed at him "My dogs are gonna send you to hell for what you did to Shelly!". I was outside locking him in as the dogs began to tear him apart. You should have seen the look on his face. It was incredible. Like he knew he was going to be eaten alive. He couldn't even speak! Just groans of pain and the muffled whimpering could hardly be heard as his throat was in my dogs mouth being crushed. The mauling was quick and more vicious than I could have imagined.

As fast as I could I made my way in the house to lock the other door. His fate was sealed. I grimaced at the sounds I heard. Never have I seen such a ferocious attack. My head pounded with anxiety as the attack seemed endless and my stomach churned. I wouldn't open the door though. I would just leave it shut for days. I knew that the dogs would consume him and that I would have to get rid of his teeth and jaw and whatever else remains. I didn't care.

A few days later I heard of his disappearance on the radio. They had no leads to follow. The remains of Gary defied description when I peaked in several days later. He did not go softly nor did he deserve to. I would leave him in there with the sin eaters for another week before I clean up everything with meticulous care.

I know that Shelly will never experience his horror and betrayal again. I also know that I am a murderer; or at least have conducted a mercy killing. I can live with it. My actions were justified. And the sin eaters will never tell!






© Copyright 2004 AXE GRINDER (metalgod80 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/894026-THE-SIN-EATERS