*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/899588-The-Garay-Family
Rated: E · Article · Family · #899588
Episode 2 of Season 2, Extreme Makeover: Home Ed.
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
Season 2, Episode 2
The Garay Family
Recap By J.G. Bird
October 14, 2004
The Extreme Makeover team traveled to South Los Angeles in the second episode of EMHE Season 2. The Garay family became a clan under one roof after the homeowner’s mother was killed in her sleep by stray gunfire. Veronica and Johnny Garay made what they called ‘an easy choice’ and took in the young children of Johnny’s mother. Mr. Garay added all five of his dependent siblings to his own family of four children. (You wouldn’t have learned this from the episode, but South LA is now what locals, or at least local officials, call what used to be South Central LA. This was altered earlier this year.) Ty mentioned South Central’s infamous gang problems. It was relevant, I guess, since the bullet that killed their mother was believed to be from gang gunfire. Plus Johnny Garay works as a counselor for at-risk youth.

The most home the Garay’s could afford when their household size more than doubled was in the form of a two-story turn of the century home. But even in providing space, the old home was lacking in some basics, like adequate heating. Holes on upstairs windows and some interior walls are evident during the walk-through. Yet there is a great family dynamic and the children are encouraged by their guardians to study their culture. Aztec and Mexican heritage items decorate the front room of the home.

Again, we have a strong presence by the male head-of household, who is clear about making a better life for all the children in his house on the application tape. The Garays are sent to Walt Disney World. There is one unusual contact with the family while they are across the country: Mr. Garay is asked to read a book to his brother, David, about what will go into that one child’s room. A couple of the designers have consulted with a specialist and make the book as a comfort factor in designing a new room for the pre-teen boy who is Autistic. The condition of autism has a main component of social detachment, and difficulty expressing or processing social cues or changes to environment.

Anyone having difficulty adapting to change would have a hard time with the whole house being torn down and coming back to a new house in the same spot one week later. Tearing it completely down is absolutely the decision here. Ty broadcasts the demolition to the family via cell phone. Luckily, the house in its last standing moment did not squish our too intrepid host – but it seemed close!

Ty and the rest of the design team make a quick trip to downtown LA and Olvera Street to pick up a multitude of Mexican culture design elements.

Miss America 2004, Ericka Dunlap, is a guest on-site. It wasn’t mentioned on the show, but this statement from the Miss America website gives some relevance to her appearing in this particular episode: “Through her platform, Ericka hopes to educate people of all ages to celebrate diversity and eliminate generational ignorance and intolerance of predisposed notions about other cultures, backgrounds and lifestyles.” Plus, Constance and Tracy wanted one of the girls to have a “Miss America room.” Some of the younger girls receive more of a general “girly” room, but this particular room gets outfitted with a small platform and official Miss America tiara. Miss America gives a “wave tutorial” via cell phone to the Garays in Florida (Just in case they want to act like royalty!)?!

Paul goes all-out building a massive fixture for the shared boys’ bedroom: a bunk bed adorned with a large T-rex. A realistic dino head also gets mounted on the wall in that room.

The main reveals upon the Garays’ return are the Community room festooned with touchable art and artifacts, brightly painted murals depicting the family’s heritage - They are quite pleased. On the other end of the spectrum is the less-is-more room for David. The Autistic son’s room brought such a smile to his face. There were things to be quietly engaged in – he had music headphones he could wear hanging in a comfortable position from a hammock-like therapy chair (There’s a similar style of hanging chair from Ikea, if anyone’s interested). It was remarkable for Johnny and Veronica Garay to see such a smile from him.

The parents walk through a now cavernous suite with walk in closets and Steam shower and large Roman-style spa tub. The mom is overwhelmed with each reveal and seems so happy sharing these moments with each of the children.

This building received a remarkable third floor room. Ty took his cues from the drum set he nearly falls over in the entry on the first day and expands on this family’s togetherness. A music jam room with a ton of percussion instruments and some soundproofing that adjoins a large study area on this same top floor is the cherry on top. He provides a chalkboard wall and the study area is filled with multiple computer stations.

The design outside really stays with the flavor of the Craftsman bungalows prevalent in the area. The third floor is a back section more than anything and doesn’t overpower the neighboring buildings. The scope of the interior is more like a facility, but this is a large family. Certainly the overpowering reason this home was possible was the above-the-bar help that was recruited. HomeAid is a non-profit with a branch involved overall for the Los Angeles/Ventura County region. Their people generally build homeless shelters. The builds are achieved through donations from all the member home-building companies, so it’s like having the Army Corp of Engineers of house construction. See if they are active in your area if you want to learn more, or donate to the organization.
© Copyright 2004 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/899588-The-Garay-Family