*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/900052-Bump-In-The-Light
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Death · #900052
Maybe the light isn't quite as safe as we thought.....
They say that there is nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light. That's how we comfort our children and help them sleep at night when the shadows start to creep. What no one ever tells you, though, is that there ARE things in the light that aren't there in the dark. The light, where one always feels safe; it's truly the most dangerous place.
Have you ever felt those strange breezes that seem to come from nowhere? The windows, the doors, they're all closed, but that wind breezes past sending chills up your spine. You're alone, but yet you hear the whispers, the murmurs... Something prickles, makes the hair on your arm stand on end. No, it's not static, it's them... The Goralai.
They bend the light to their will, hiding their forms behind its rays. No matter how bright the room may be, they cannot be seen. Light gives them their power; only the darkness can make them weak.
They are the daytime equivalent of the monster under the bed. Only the Goralai are real, they hide behind nothing but the light, and they come for all. Day or night, it matters not as long as there is light. Children, adults, they care not. However, an unwary adult gives them the greatest glee: the rush, the power, the arrogance, and the size of the feast. For how much meat can be gotten from a child?
Yes, that's right. They FEED on us. Our flesh, our blood, it sustains them. As we eat eggs, beef, pork, so they consume us. They feast upon our tissue, but unlike us, they cannot simply go the store and buy a pound of young human. For them to live, the food must be fresh, must be living. Thus they consume us as we breathe, as we watch our own limbs disappear into the invisible jaws. We watch as a creature that we cannot see tears our flesh from our bones and listen as it greedily slurps it into it's belly.
Of course the eyes and ears are the last to be eaten; the Goralai like us to watch and listen for as long as we can. Adrenaline and fear filled flesh is always the juiciest. Terror pulses through your blood and gives it an overwhelming flavor, like an intoxicant. The more fear that pumps through you, the drunker they become. It's a drug, a narcotic. They feed and survive by consuming our flesh, but they thrive and flourish on our fear.
The smell of fear alone brings them. One who is afraid, before capture, always catches their attention. A startle, a terror, they smell it in your blood as they stalk you. It focuses them on you, brings them in for the kill. This is why they often come when you are alone, when you are lonely and afraid.
Goralai are even so arrogant as to warn you of their coming. If only you knew the signs to look for, the messages that they send. A sudden light flicker or a light turning on where it once was off. Remember, they must stay in the light... A phone may ring, with no one on the other end, or perhaps a stereo or television will turn on suddenly. More often than not, however, their vile presence causes animals and electricity to go wild. The animals are sensitive and sense their presence, while the electricity may connect you to the outside world and the Goralai want you all to themself.
More common than the other signs is the loss of communication with the outside world. Your television signal will become distorted and nothing will come through. The stereo will play rapidly or only play static. The phone will go dead, or worse, all you will hear when you pick up your receiver will be the squeals and murmurs of your predator coming for you, drooling and laughing at the thought of how delicious your terror filled flesh will taste in its mouth.
They are out there, in the light. What goes bump in the night is nothing compared to what goes bump in the light. Those creatures of the night stay there simply because THEY know what dangers lurk in the light of day. Goralai cannot be seen, cannot be stopped. They come, they hunt, they feast. I would warn you to be afraid, but that wouldn't do much good to you, now would it?
© Copyright 2004 Krista Agustin (mythprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/900052-Bump-In-The-Light