*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/903162-Nobodys-Place-Behind-The-Mask
by Mitch
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #903162
Another night at Nobody's Place and a mystery woman makes a move on Joe.
         It was just another night at Nobody's Place but nobody looked familiar. Joe was running his annual Halloween costume contest and all the regulars were hiding behind masks. Joe, himself, was behind the bar in his yellow hair and stuffed tiger, dressed up to be "Calvin and Hobbes" from the comic strip. Bo, at the door, was dressed as "Terminator" and Crystal, who was off that night, came as an angel, halo and all.

         Joe sipped his Heineken as he watched the revelers enjoying the party. So many different costumes filled the bar. Joe was sure the award for funniest costume would go to Bill who came as a hula dancer, complete with coconut bra. The sexiest costume award would have to go to Catwoman and it was to her that Joe's eyes kept wandering.

         The woman's mask was a hood that covered her hair, and went over her eyes, with two diamond shaped eye holes that centered over glowing blue orbs. The leather costume was as tight as Halle Berry's in the movie and looked as good, if not better.

         After 1:00 A.M. the waitresses were let off so they could enjoy the party and Joe got so busy behind the bar he stopped thinking about Catwoman or any other costumes. Eventually Catwoman approached the bar and when she got Joe's attention she pointed to her empty Miller Lite bottle. Joe got her a new one and he tried to start a conversation.

"What's your name, pretty kitty?"

         She put a finger to her lips and gave a "sshhh" sound that Joe barely heard over the music.

"Is it a secret?"

         The beauty nodded her head affirmatively.

"Okay, but will you stick around when the night's over and have a beer with me."

         She nodded again and walked away after helping herself to the stuffed tiger. Joe smiled to himself and went about tending bar. He wasn't very good at the flirting game, despite all of his years behind a bar, but somehow what had just occurred seemed natural to him. "Maybe it was the mystery of it," He thought.

         Shortly before last call Joe got the judges to tell him who the winners were and made the announcements. Bill and Catwoman won, just as Joe thought they would. Tom, another regular, won for most tasteless costume as he came as a bloody tampon. Most original went to a couple that came as siamese twins and Bo won an award too. He won for least original and got the booby prize of a glass of water.

         Soon it was closing time and after cleaning up Joe sat down with the Mystery girl as well as Bo and Crystal. Bo was drinking scotch on the rocks, Johnnie Walker Black, and Crystal, having had enough, took Bo's booby prize from him. Joe had his usual Heineken and he gave a Miller Lite to Catwoman. He tried to make conversation but all she would do is smile and hold Joe's stuffed tiger. She didn't seem to want to leave but wouldn't take off her mask nor even speak. Every time it seemed she would laugh she took a deep breath and stifled it.

         Joe refreshed the drinks and when he came back she was gone. He spotted her by the jukebox and when she walked away Madonna's "Crazy For You" sounded throughout the bar. She came over and grabbed Joe's hand pulling him toward the dance floor. They began to dance and she held him close. Joe could feel every curve of her body through the tight leather as they swayed to the music. She stared right into his eyes and then kissed him, lightly on the lips before placing her head on his shoulders.

         Joe had spent many years in this environment and unless he was really drunk, he just wasn't very interested in one night stands. Tonight he decided if that's what was going to happen he was okay with it. Something about this woman, and the mystery of it all, really excited him.

         They danced through two more slow songs and when they looked up Bo and Crystal were gone. Joe's mystery date grabbed their beers and pointed up which Joe took to mean they should go up to his apartment. He had no clue how she knew he lived up there but at this point didn't really care.

         When they got upstairs she pulled him toward the bedroom and Joe went willingly. There they sat on the bed and she started kissing him again only this time it was with a fierce passion that took Joe by surprise. After only a moment's hesitation he kissed her back and they laid down on the bed where she began undressing him. Joe helped her with that and began to remove her costume. She stopped him when he tried to remove the mask. Joe thought for a short moment and decided it didn't matter. If she wanted to remain a mystery it was fine with him. They spent the rest of the morning making love and fell asleep in each other's arms.

         Joe awoke to the sound of the front door closing. Immediately he knew she was gone and he was saddened, realizing he never found out who she was. Looking at the clock he saw it was almost 2:00 PM and he also saw a note. He glanced at it and smiled.

"All my love,
         Chrissy"
"PS-Thanks for the tiger"

         Chrissy was married with kids and was a bright, burning flame from Joe's past. When they reunited they had decided to keep their distance and avoid temptation. Apparently, she had found a way around their self imposed restrictions and all Joe could do was keep smiling.

         It was another night at Nobody's Place and most of the regulars were complimenting Joe for his Halloween party the night before. Bo and Crystal had both asked Joe about his mystery woman and Joe just smiled and walked away. In fact he spent the night sipping his Heinekens and smiling. Some things were never meant to be, but a small taste could be a tease or a treasure. Joe opted for the treasure.
© Copyright 2004 Mitch (maposner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/903162-Nobodys-Place-Behind-The-Mask