*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/903651-The-October-Fields
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #903651
A true account or take it as folklore. I believe it to be real.
Years ago, there were stories of people within the fields in a place called Gumneck, NC. It is a real place. I believe the happenings that were talked about are true as well.

Childhood years found me working; in our fields. There were many crops my dad planted. There were cotton, soybeans, peanuts, corn and many other things. Harvest time came along. We had the family members doing the work within our crops. There were a few neighbors that halped along the way.

The stories surrounded other fields; in Gumneck. There were once a field of cotton that had to be harvested. There were very few workers one day. Yet bails and bails of cotton were left in the fields. Bails all along the many rows were gathered and in plain view. The number of workers were not able to accumulate that many bails. The workers saw others out in the fileds. They knew not where they came from. But they were there. It is a mystery to this day as to how this happened.

Another occurrance was with the peanut fields. It took time to harvest a peanut field. It wasn't with the machinery of today. All the harvesting had to be done by hand. The ones who worked the field took their wares to the mill. They were all in agreement that the others who worked were coming behind them. The mill owner looked and anticipated for these other workers coming with their wares to find that the wares were left in the field. The ones who had done the work were no where to be found.

There were many occurrances like tokens of people dying I experienced. Some you'd not believe but they were factual. They happened. The ones I have mentioned about the fields were done harvest time. It is uncertain how many incidences like this occurred that I know nothing about.

Strange things happen in any area. This rural area is no exception. Have you experienced something strange? Have you seen people you know were there but when you looked again they were gone? Then, you'd know I am telling the truth about the fields--The October Fields.0
© Copyright 2004 Silverindian (silverindian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/903651-The-October-Fields