*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/903668-Never-Dever
Rated: E · Short Story · Holiday · #903668
you have to read it to find out...it's somewhat sad also...
He walked around his house searching for his costume. Dever, a young boy of thirteen, was about to experience his first halloween alone with his friends. He smiled as he searched his closet and found his costume. Dever slipped it on quickly and ran to the dining room table. His mother was fixing his little sisters costume.

"I have to go mom, or i'll be late meeting my friends.I love you mom, bye..." He hugged his mother and turned around facing his little sister.
"Now Lillia, be a good girl, your're four years old now and you can eat more candy than last year, but beware of the sour kind." He laughed a scary laugh and sped off toward the door, his pillow case in his hands.
"Bye now! Be careful!" Yelled patty, Dever's mom.

Dever walked slowly with his friends down each street and got candy from each house. One house they went to had a nice choice of sweets and sours but no good chocolates. Another had only skittlez and M'n'M's. The three boys walked to the park for a little quietness, Wich i might add Dever hadn't usually had when trick or treating with his mom and sister. The three young teens were growing weary and decided to stop at a bench.

"Hey Dever, it's getting late, we have one more house, and it's the new guy's." His friend chad pointed toward an old cracked up house...all the lights were still lit.

"Okay...this'll be our last trick or treat house." Dever walked slowly and knocked on the old wooden oak door. The door creeked open slowly and a man peered out of the crack.

"Yes?" The man said, his eye's looked like they were going to pounce on them and eat them. Dever swallowed his breath and in a sequence all three of the boys said a slim "Trick Or Treat" The man opened the door and held out a bowl.

"You pick." He looked at Dever and shoved the bowl at his chest. Dever slowly chose a large candy bar. His friends chose both a bag of skittles.

"hey, you," The man pointed to Dever. "Whats your name?" Dever gulped and stated his name. "Dever sir..."Dever walked away. He stopped and looked back at the man who was still staring at him wide eye'd.

"Happy halloween, son." The man shut the door slightly...tears in his eye's.

Dever walked back to the door and pushed it open. "Dad?" He looked at him with teary eye's. "happy halloween, dad."Dever wiped his tears and walked out of the porch way. His back facing the door. He inhaled slowly and exhaled quickly.

"oh, and son," His father commented,"You never saw me, do not tell anyone. Especially your mother." He looked at Dever and rubbed his eye's.

"Never Dever..." Said the man with a froggy voice, "Never,"

© Copyright 2004 Missy, the short one (missymain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/903668-Never-Dever