*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/904456-Hidden-Not-Sought
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #904456
For story contest - Prompt: "Don't thank me"
Complete relief was the only way to describe the feeling trickling over me. I was finally found. Being the idiot I am, I had been lost, wandering around the forest for nearly a day to avoid being caught in an elaborate camping hide and seek game. I‘d lose fifty bucks if caught, or gain twenty if not. We started right after breakfast… three hour time limit to stay hidden and hiders had a fifteen minute head start. I was a hider, and a good one… NOBODY could find me. I went far… I stayed away from landmarks… boulders… rocks. And none of my friends could find me (IDIOT!)... until now... eight LONG hours later. But here was a familiar face, sighing with relief and breaking into a trotting pace when he saw me, headed right in my direction. He was smiling widely. I could have hugged him. I was hungry and it way past time for lunch AND dinner.

"Oh, THANK you!" I cried. "I'm finally saved! Where‘s the campsite?"

The smile crumbled.

"Don't thank ME," he lamented. "I'm probably just as lost as you are... I was hoping YOU were here to find ME."
© Copyright 2004 The Unscripted (lchodge at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/904456-Hidden-Not-Sought