*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/910236-Jet-Lag
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Other · #910236
Nancy discovers a surprising story she almost forgot.
Just a little story I wrote, it may be a little confusing at first, but trust me it all comes together in the end :)

         Looking at her watch, Nancy began to worry. Erik didn't pick her up last night when the plane arrived at the airport, and he hadn't called all day. Picking up the remote she turned on the TV to catch the last few minutes of the six o'clock news. "That's funny," she said o herself. Instead of the news, some weekend documenary was on. "I thought it was Friday" she mumbled.
         Turning off the TV she decided to call around to see if she could find Erik somewhere. Maybe there had been some emergency and he had to leave at the last minute. She called her best friend first, hoopefuly she would know something.
         "Hello Meg? have you heard from Erik? He didn't meet me at the airport last night when my plane got in."
         "Uh, didn't you get in on Thursday night?" Megan asked.
         "Yeah, yesterday was Thursday right? Any way I can't go for that drink with you and the girls tonight, I don't know where Erik is, so I'm going to stay home tonight in case he calls or something", Nancy said.
         "Hon, you missed the drink last night, it's not Friday, it's Saturday. And I haven't heard from Erik" laughing she added,"or you for that matter, since before you left."
         "Oh, I guess I just got a little confused" replied Nancy.
         "Wow, looks like jet lag is catching up with ya."
         "Yeah I guess it is, um, I'm gonna try John, maybe he and Erik forgot and are in bed recovering from a killer hangover."
         "Okay",Megan said, "I'll check around a bit for ya too, bye." Nancy sat for a minute before haning up;the sound of the operator brought her back to her senses.
          "Please hang up and..."
          "Saturday? What did I do yesterday? Maybe I slept the whole day",Nancy said to herself,"I must have been tired, jet lag is really having an effect on me."
         Dialling John and Erik's apartment for the fourth time, she really began to get worried. On the third ring John's voice sounded on the other line,"What do you want?!?!", he shouted. A gril's voice in the background explained why he seemed to be a little busy.
         "Oh, hey Sarah baby, no he's not. Wow was that you with Erik on Wednesday night?Man I think you guys kept the neighbours up!" He said.
         "John", she said after getting over a wave of cofusion,"This is Nancy, and I was calling to find out where Erik was, but I guess I know now."
         "Damn it! Nancy wait, I was kidding. Uh...Hello?" Slamming the phone onto the reciever Nancy broke down.
         "I knew it, he's been running around with that slut all along. God I should have known!" She cried.
         The shrill of the phone ringing sliced through her cries, and she stopped. Letting the machine pick up the call she waited to see who it was. Regaining composure she listened.
         "Nancy, I know you're there", Megan's voice floated into the room on a cloud of worry. "C'mon, pick up, John just called me, I'm sorry Hon."
         Picking up Nancy talked fast and angrily, "Megs? I think I know where he is; he's witht that tramp again. Rememeber Sarah? I wonder if she even knows about me, I should have known!"
         "Well fuck him, you were too good for him anyway, do me a favour and go for a hot bath and try to forget him for a while."
         A tear squeezed through her closed eyes, "Okay, I'll try, I'm just so messed up right now, I was so worried. I'm sorry I don't really feel like talking right now",Nancy said calming down.
         "Okay well I'll call to check up on you in a bit, maybe we can get together tomorrow to talk."
         "Fine, talk to ya later, bye." Hanging up Nancy walked toward the bathroom.
         Sitting on the edge of the tub she started a hot bath and mixed in some epsom salts. She got up and looked at herself in the mirror. "What a mess, water-proof mascara my a..." a hand towel on the counter caught her eye. "What's this doing here?" She wondered out loud. It was one of the towels she had bought for Erik's washroom at work. "What the..." As she picked the towel up it unfolded revealing dark crimson stains. "Blood?" Was all the confusion would allow her to say. Suddenly the lights in the bathroom gave off a blinding flash and then she could see Erik, sitting in his office. Terror was writen across his face as an axe was dropped down swiftly onto his neck. Blood, it was everywhere, what did she do? Nancy looked up and saw Sarah slowly walk toward her and Erik...
         Seeing the towel in her hands again she dropped it into the sink as a wave of nausea came over here. Does that mean she killed him? And Sarah too!! She was so mad at them a second ago, she must have done them both! She turned off the bath and pulled the plug, she would never be clean again. Her hands and soul were stained with blood and no bath or shower could ever wash it away. She jumped as the phone rang. Visions of the police calling to tell her they found the bodies crossed her mind. But she rushed out to get the phone anyway; she really needed to talk to Meg right now.
         "Hello, Meg?" Nancy said, panic tracing her voice.
         "Whoa girl, what's the matter with you? You sound like you've just seen a ghost or somethin'", the woman's voice joked on the other line.
         "Oh, sorry, who is this?" Nancy didn't expect it to be anyone to be Megan.
         "C'mon, you couldn't have forgotten me that fast, it's Sarah."
         Suddenly memories of Thursday night came flooding back. Erik didn't meet her at the ariport, and he wasn't home,so she decided to surprise him at work; he often got carried away at work and stayed late. Upon arriving she saw them, Sarah and Erik together in his office. Something snapped inside, he had said it would never happen again! Nany grabbed the fire axe off the wall and stormed into his office shouting. Sarah was just as upset to see Nancy, as Nancy was to see her.
         Who the hell is that Erik? You've been cheating on me again haven't you?" Sarah yelled.
         "It seems we have the same problem with him, he just can't stay true to one of us", Nancy hissed in Erik's direction.
         Walking toward Erik, axe in hand, the rage inside her boiled. She couldn't go through it anymore. All the nights staying up wondering why he didn't call. Backing up Erik fell into a chair, and sitting her tried to calm Nancy down.
         Nancy, honey, I can explain, this is the last time, I swear to God".
         "So waht about me, huh? Three years down the drain! Do it Nancy, we both know it will never be the last time, he'll keep doing it to every woman. Don't let him get away with it again!" Sarah yelled.
         "She's right you know", Nancy said in a calmer voice, "You'll just keep doing it."
         "Hello? Nancy, Nancy", The sound of Sarah's voice brought her out of the flash back. "I just called to say that I went by the office today, you must have spent all of yesterday cleaning that mess up, it looks good. Oh and I got rid of him, no on will ever trace the body to us."
         "Good, thanks. So, uh, I guess I have one last thing to do, I'll call you tomorrow okay? Bye."
         "Alright, talk to ya then, bye".
         Putting the phone down on the reciever she took a couple of deep breaths then picked the phone back up and dialled a number.
         "Hello, my name is Nancy Davis, I'd like to report a missing person..."
THE END
© Copyright 2004 Goddess~Athena (lil_ruby at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/910236-Jet-Lag