*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/910665-A-Special-Place
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #910665
The love of her life, lost in death, is reunited
A Special Place

         Michelle went to her special place, where, in times of need, she could be alone with nature and one within herself. It is a short trip through the woods past the circle end of her suburban street. Beyond the green field laced delicately with pink and purple flowers dancing in the summer breeze. A cluster of trees line the horizon and mark the way to her destination. She is lost in thought at the foot of the large maple tree. Here, she feels Jimmy’s presence and the love they share. Her heart feels free and light like a dove escaping its cage.
         In this quiet nature she feels whole. She can sort fact from opinion, and separate reality from illusion, here in the beauty of her special place. A soft breeze caresses her smile as she looks down on the rolling hillside, into the valley where a silver stream opens into a shimmering pond. Jimmy, her first and only true love, beckons. A deep breath releases the bonds that prevent her from fulfilling her dreams. The lovely aroma of fresh flowers lingered until the dark clouds, and the thick fog overtook her senses.
_____________________________


         Bare knuckles rap rhythmically on the wooden door. Jim’s fingers grope with his collar, then nervously tug on his sleeve. Ruby forced a smile attempting to calm her husband, then maneuvered his tie knot into place.
         “This will be difficult... painful," she said. “You look... proper.”
         “You look good," he responded with the same lack of confidence in his voice that she had in hers.
Great, he thought to himself, good and proper. I am certain that Michelle’s parents have a very different opinion of us. We are the cause of their nightmare. The toxicology report specified drugs and alcohol, and the blame shifted to their lack of proper parental guidance.
         Jim and Ruby’s son died instantly at the foot of a large maple tree on a curve that overlooks the pond in the valley. Ruby, to this day, cannot speak a complete sentence without hesitating to search for a word she thought was missing. Jim’s anger manifested into a raging temper that placed him in the unemployment line twice.
         It was a short trip from home to their driveway at the circle end of the suburban street.
         “Been a long time”, Jim blurted out as if someone inside answered the door, but the door was still shut. Ruby stared at Jim as if he had missed a word. They have not seen Michelle’s parents since Jimmy’s funeral three days after the car was pried away from the maple tree. Michelle clung to life with the same intensity that her family clung to hope. She was still blind and paralyzed after painful months of hospitalization. A recent coma had her relying on a machine to breathe, and last week she was finally released home, when hope surrendered.
         The wooden door opened to a pale face, smeared eye make-up streamed down to the corners of her lips. Her mouth formed a weak smile acknowledging their presence, but her eyes hold animosity.
         “It has been a long time. Thank you for coming," Michelle’s mom spoke in a shaky voice as she leaned forward to touch cheeks. Jim, upset by the sadness on her face, cannot speak.
         Ruby, touching her arm, said "Thank you for inviting us."
         "Come in, but excuse the mess; I haven't had time to..."
         "Mom!" a voice from across the room interrupted.
Her younger sister shares a stunning resemblance to both Michelle and her mother.
         "Her time has come. Please come in," she said turning to lead the way.
         Contrary to her small talk, the living room was immaculate and filled with flowers, candles and sympathy cards.Her bedroom was full of sadness, and tearful sobs from family and friends. Time seemed to pause. The memory of the night they tried so hard to forget, now consumed them. The machine that once supported life, rested motionless, unplugged. Ruby placed the fresh flowers on a table near her head. The pink and purple pedals seem to dance as if touched by a breath of fresh air.
Stephen Becker 11/17/2004
© Copyright 2004 str8shooter (str8shooter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/910665-A-Special-Place