*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/912518-Anico
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #912518
a new line of animal food is shipped, and it turns animals to crazy beasts
Chapter 1
The gun was my dad’s from when he was with the force. But he’s dead now. Spot had mangled him to pieces. That had been the first day, when all the animals in town started going crazy. Now me, my mom, and Dean were in our old Ford mini-van from ’97. The gun was now in my control. I had used it to kill our 5 year old dog Spot, after he had gone loony. Most of the pets in town had turned on there loved ones. Dean’s however was still sane. Regis, his hamster, was now in the comfort of my best friend’s lap sleeping. Dean had lived next door since we had moved in 8 years ago. That was when we were both 6. We hadn’t talked much this summer, probably because he was never around. Usually out with his “Girlfriend”. But I guess were still o.k. friends.

“okay boys,we are traveling To Wilmington. Your parents are meeting us there Dean. Will figure out what were going to do then.”
“You think the whole United States is like this,”asked Dean
“ Boy, I sure hope not.”

Chapter 2
We finally got out of town and onto the highway. Traffic was terrible and the crazies were all over the road. Most of the animals were not capable of breaking into our van. Ahead of us was a corvette with its roof down, the animals were mauling the two adults inside. A St. Bernard was chewing off the man in the front seats hands that were holding on to the steering wheel. His terrible screams echoed through the darkness of the night. The man in the passenger seat’s face was being tore apart by a small Kitten, its claws ripped into his neck where blood was gushing out. I felt sick to my stomach. I looked away from the bloody mess. Mom turned towards us, me sitting all the way in back and Dean in the middle seat.
“ Its going to be o.k. boys everything will be fine,” she said as all of a sudden a animal crashed on-top of the windshield. My mom hit the gas, the car went a few feet before hitting the corvette. The bodies inside it flopped over. It was the St. Bernard from before, now trying to tear us apart. Dean with Regis in his grasp, fell to the floor. Me without thinking, I held up the revolver, and pointed at the dog. “ mom duck,” I yelled, she ducked as my finger squeezed the trigger. The window crashed open, and the bullet hit the dog in the chest. More animals came towards the car now that there was an easy way in. “ start the car mom, go!.”
“It wont start damn it!”
“now what!” dean said getting back into his seat.
“ we get out, come on hurry. Nick give me that gun.”
I handed it to her and we all got out.
“ we have to find someone to let us into there car,” mom said.
“ then lets hurry up!” dean said.
We ran towards the cars ahead. A rabbit hopped towards us in search of some blood. Behind it was the small kitten, and a few little lizards. Nothing that was to dangerous although that’s what i thought. we reached a small car. Inside there was no room. The next car we found was full of dead bodies and a few crazies still feasting on the humans. we went on. A van, there was a small skinny man about 50 or so. He saw us staring through at him. He just turned away and ignored us. Mom banged on the side window but he shook his head at us. She kept tapping anyway. Finally he rolled down the window as the animals got closer.
“ what do you want?” he asked.
“ please let us in, the animals are coming,” my mom said.
“sorry lady but I don’t want those animals getting me. you’ve already attracted a bunch. Now leave.” the window started to rise. Mom held the gun up. He saw it , and the doors clicked. She opened it and turned, motioning us to get in, when out of nowhere a gun went off. The bullet hit my mom in the side of the head, instantly killing her. The man had his own gun, he closed the door and locked it. Behind us the animals crept closer. Dean took the gun from my moms lifeless body, he ran off in the distance.
“ come on Nick,” he yelled. I still stood there not able to budge. Dean turned and ran back to where I stood. “ come on hurry” then he aimed the gun at the approaching rabbit and shot off a round. The rabbit stumbled to the ground. He shot again killing a kitten. Finally I looked up at him.
“ is…she dead?”

“I’m sorry man, come on lets go.”
“ is she dead?” I said again.
“ yeah, she’s dead. Now come on lets go. Well find the way to Wilmington on our own.”


Chapter 3

Dean held Regis, singing into the hamsters ear. We were held up in a large van, we had found it empty and planned to stay there the night. It was in a prairie off the road, a place where nothing would bother us. Tomorrow we would set off to Wilmington and find Deans parents.
“ you think well make it, alone, without any parents?” asked Dean letting go of Regis.
“ hand me the gun,” I said sticking my hand out. He handed it to me and I checked the barrel.five bullets. “ it’ll be tough but we can take care of ourselves.”
Dean started to cry.
“ were not going to make it. This is th…. The end of the world. Everyone will die.” I turned and looked out the rear window, I had nothing to say, “ well be o.k,”i responded. Dean picked Regis up and laid down. I did the same and fell asleep minutes later.


Chapter 4

I woke up in the middle of the night, something was scratching at the van. I sat up, Dean was sleeping peacefully with Regis next to his head. I looked out the window only to find three small cats. They saw me looking down at them. One jumped at the window leaving a small crack down the middle. I sat back and stayed there, keeping guard.
I woke up against the door of the van. It was 9:54 by my watch. Dean was still sleeping, Regis was up and about. The window was still in one piece, and when I checked outside the cats were gone. I opened the door and went outside. It was cool, and the sky was gray. We would have rain today. I saw Dean sit up in the van.
“ hey, good morning,” I said approaching him.
“ what happen last night, I heard some scratching outside,” he said.
“ you heard something and you didn’t get up to examine.”
“ like you would have.”
“ actually I did. There were a few hungry cats,” I said turning away. Miles in the distance I saw a dog and a woman playing. No they weren’t play, the dog was chasing her. “ give me the gun Dean, someone’s in trouble,” I said as he handed the magnum to me. “ damn,” I said as the dog leaped on top of her, she screamed over and over. Then the screaming stopped, she was dead. “ its to late for her,” Dean said. The dog turned and must have heard us because it came running . Dean shut the door and locked it.
“ what are you doing you ass!?” I yelled banging on the window.
“ no kill it first.”
I knew he wouldn’t open, so I turned, held up the gun and waiting for it to get close. The dog jumped a wooden fence and exploded towards me. I pulled the trigger and the bullet missed as the dog kept coming. The next shot hit it, in the neck knocking it to the ground. I shot again to make sure I killed it. Behind me the door slid open. I looked at Dean, cocked my fist back and I punched him in the face. He fell back hitting his head against the cracked window, almost shattering it.
“ oh shoot, are you o.k.,” I asked. He turned and threw a punch at me, his fist missed and he fell out of the van. He started bawling and I crouched down and held him. “ I’ll give you a free punch ,” I said. He looked up at me, his face , bloodied and bruised. I felt terrible of what I had done, until I remembered him closing the door and putting my life on the line. I could have been mangled to pieces. Then what would he do, I’m sure he couldn’t take care of himself. He lifted himself up off the ground where I still sat. he kicked me in the ribs, hard, then he took Regis and the gun and started walking off into the distance. I lay there on the ground, waiting for a terrible animal to come along and tear me to shreds. I got up off the ground. Dean was walking towards the woman’s dead body. He turned and saw me walking towards him, then started running. He leaped over the body and kept going. “ Dean wait!” I screamed, but he didn’t stop. “ Damn you, you can burn in hell for all I care!” I looked over to the right and saw an oncoming animal heading towards Dean. It was a large dog, a bulldog. He saw it and started shooting, missing each time. The gun ran out of ammo and he tossed it at the crazy. The canine lunged at him and missed by inches, the dog hit the ground hard on the way back down. I started towards them. “ hey dog, hey!” it quit chasing Dean and started towards me, I rushed back to the van, the dog following. I went into the van and closed the door. The dog smashed into the side door and fell over. I heard a loud crack, and I think it had broken it’s neck. Out the window I could see its lifeless body lying on the grass. Dean was walking back towards me, I opened the van door and stepped out. The dog was not breathing.
“ I thought that was the end of me,” he said.
“ well why the hell did you run off like that?” I replied.
“ why? because of you bullying me."




" what are you gonna do, cry?"
“ I have a reason to cry, for gods sake it’s the end of the world. You always try to hold everything in.”
I was also ready to cry. To let it all out. But I held it in and looked away, the sky had gotten dark and the rain was ready to pour out. Dean started walking, and I followed. It was the only option I had. To follow him.



PLEASE REVIEW AND GIVE TIPS!!!!!!!
SHOULD I CONTINUE IT?????
























© Copyright 2004 ironman (ironman70 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/912518-Anico