*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/918971-high-tide
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Death · #918971
husband leaves for war leaving his wife with a promise to return.
the sun peeked over the water, spreading thin rays of light in every direction against the dark sky. she felt the air getting warmer as night slipped into morning. for all she knew, the world was completely motionless and silent aside from the gentle lapping of the water against her toes. the ocean was cold, but, still, unseasonably warm.

she looked across the sea to a spot that frequented her mind. thoughts of her husband pushed their way back in. he had been gone for a long time, but his memory was not lost. he was still the same as he had always been, or atleast, how she remembered him. she had lost all recollection of anytime he had pained her. any memory of fights or grievances was gone. all that she had left, or let herself hold onto, was the comfort he brought her. she loved him more than anything else in the world, and the feeling had been mutual, but the choice for him to leave hadn't been his own. he would be back, though. he had promised her that he would be back.

birds began salting the beach. they flew up and down the shore, calling to eachother in beautiful melody. she felt the rising of the water underneath her and shivered a bit, but didnt move. this was the very spot he'd promised to return to. everyday she had come down to wait for him and everyday she left, sad, but not disapointed. there was no uncertainty in her mind as to his arival but only to the time she must go on without him. although their small cottage had windows that overlooked the beach, she was persistant in her regular walks down the sand. he loved her and he would be back for her, just like he said he would.

she looked at the trees across the ocean as they swayed and thought of all the men that still remained there. a letter of a different nature had replaced the one that she'd been hoping for that month. love was substituded with a slight anger and morbid disbelief. but, he might has well been dead the whole time anyway, and as time went on, everything stayed the same. he was still gone, one way or another. she was still in pain, but she didn't seem to notice much of a difference other than the letters that ceased to come. still, she trusted him more than ever. he would be back. she knew he would be back

she watched the sky grow lighter and begin to lose its vibrant colors to a brighter blue. her legs became cold as water began drenching her pants. it had been two years since he had left, but three weeks since he was gone. even still, her hope progressed. he would be coming back. he told her the very day he had left that he would return for her. the footprints from their last meeting had since vanished from the sand, but he would be back. she never doubted his obvious love for her. she knew that any promise he gave her, would be fulfilled.

she felt herself growing consistantly colder despite the heat that the sky had reached with the day. the water, besides the evergrowing comfort it maintained, was frigid and wrapped around her stomach a little higher with each rising swell. he would come back for her. he promised that he would come back for her. she took a deep breath. this would be the last walk down the sand she would take. this time he would come for sure. when high tide came, she would be there. awaiting the return of her husband.
© Copyright 2004 heather flores (derface2k at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/918971-high-tide