*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/919049-A-Christmas-Suprise
by ME
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Emotional · #919049
A teen is a surrogate mother to her brothers & sister during hard times.
Ceil walked down the street to her tiny apartment in the Bronx. Her eight grade class went on a field trip today to the homeless shelter. It was December 15. There they gave the children stuffed animals, and books, and crayons for Christmas presents. Ceil could not help but wonder if she was going to be in that very shelter with the way things were going at her house. She also wondered if she would be able to afford little more than a coloring book or two for her brothers and sisters. She was in charge of the Christmas shopping, if you could consider it Christmas shopping.

Her mother had abandoned them when she was five, her younger brother Thomas was four, Jake was two, and Lexi was six months old. Her dad was a crack addict, and had his dealers, and "business partners" at the house constantly. Her mother promised to come back, and Ceil wished for nothing more. She however, being the oldest, was responsible for cooking, cleaning, shopping, and all of the responsibilities of both parents.

The apartment they lived in was two bedrooms, one for her dad, and one for all of the children. She did not want to tell the social workers because she did not want to separate the family. Her brothers and sisters were her life, all her hopes and dreams rested with them. Surprisingly she maintained an straight A average at her school.
Her one teacher, Miss. Holmes, was her favorite. Miss. Holmes was the one teacher who actually cared about her students, and she actually cared about Ceil. Miss. Holmes paid for all of Ceil’s lunches, school supplies, and provided her and her siblings with winter coats and boots. Miss. Holmes had even approached her, and asked about her family situation. Ceil had cried and explained about her mother and father, but begged her not to tell. Miss. Holmes said that she would not interfere unless that it endangered the lives of Ceil or her siblings.

When Ciel got home she went into the kitchen to prepare cheese sandwiches for dinner. She could hear her father shouting at someone in his bedroom. This was normal, for he was probably high, and could not control his emotions. She saw a note on the refrigerator from Thomas, and crossed over to read it. As she crossed the cold, cracked floor to the ancient refrigerator, she heard a gunshot. She dropped the note, and ran into the hallway. The note slid under the refrigerator. She saw her dad emerge, and grab a beer out of the refrigerator, then go back into the bedroom. As soon as he had left the room she grabbed her coat and boots, and ran the twenty-six blocks to her brothers and sisters elementary schools. Although Thomas was in middle school, he always went straight to the Elementary school to pick up their brothers, and sister.
Out of breath, her lungs burning from the cold, she grabbed her brothers and sisters, told them not to worry, and went to the middle school to see Miss. Holmes. Miss. Holmes was at her desk when Ciel arrived with her family. Ciel was crying and told her that she had to talk to her alone. Miss. Holmes grabbed her hand, and walked out into the hallway leaving the children in the room with some crayons. Thomas had followed them out as well, wanting to hear the situation. The story told, Thomas looked stricken. He put on his jacket, and ran out of the building.

After they had found someone to look after the children, Miss. Holmes and Ciel got into her car, and went to look for Thomas. As she pulled up to her apartment, she heard once again a gunshot. She raced up the steps but it was too late. Thomas was dead. Her father had shot him. "WHY!" "You bastard!" Her father threw the gun on the floor, and went back to packaging his coke into small baggies. She saw the body of a woman on one side of the bed, and her brothers on the other. Ciel, blinded by hate, picked up the gun, and fired three rounds into the back of his head. Then she laid on the floor, hugging Thomas' body, and cried.

Miss. Holmes, the blood drained from her face, dragged Ciel out of the apartment. She called the police from her cell phone. After the inquiry, Miss. Holmes offered to take the children in. They canceled the lease on the old apartment, and began to move the tattered furniture out. While the mover moved the refrigerator, the note from Thomas, was revealed. Ciel had completely forgotten. " I wonder what he wanted to tell me?" said Ciel. She opened the note and read,

Dear Ciel,
For the entire year, I have been looking for mom. I finally found her! I told her to come and talk to Dad today. Surprise! She should be there when you get home from school today. She says she’s sorry, and wants to start over. Ciel! She wants full custody! We can finally be a family, and you can finally be a kid again! Merry Christmas Ciel!
Love always,
Thomas
Ciel, stricken, realized she had lost not only her father and brother, but also her mother.
© Copyright 2004 ME (pghvipergirl21 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/919049-A-Christmas-Suprise