*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/920975-Poetry-Newsletter---December-29
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Editorial · Educational · #920975
newsletter for December 29,2004, quest editor on emotion in poetry
Emotion is a necessary component of poetry. Without the emotion evoked by poetic language and devices, poetry becomes just bland words.

sig by Pass It On


Next week's editor: John~Ashen


          I came across an item written by pcombs which caused me to think about the emotion found and needed in poetry. With his permission, I am presenting it here, making Dom my guest editor.

         Emotions play an incredibly large part in almost any form of writing, but nowhere is this more true than when writing poetry.

         Poetry is the ultimate form of emotional expression, for without emotion, poetry is nothing. Emotion is so important in poetry because readers need something they can grasp, something they can relate to, and anyone can relate to emotion. Short stories, and things of that nature, have characters whom the reader can relate to, but, most of the time, in poetry we don't have characters. Only the emotion of the words is left.

         Poetry is also a good way to release emotions. If you're having problems at home, having trouble with friends, or family, you can release all your emotional troubles using poetry. An example would be
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#776695 by Not Available.


         In this piece, I am explaining how not having a father made me feel. Doing this really helped me heal, for in it, I was able to convey certain emotions I was not able speak.

         Though, poetry doesn't have to always be about the sad though. It can be a way to celebrate good emotions as well.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#854723 by Not Available.


         In this piece, I am celebrating the fact that I was able to overcome depression, and yet again, it was able to convey certain emotions I could not speak.

         There are many good ways to express emotions throughout poetry. One good example is allusion, which is a brief reference to a person, event, or place, real or ficticious, or to a work of art. A very good example of allusion would be how a dove is considered synonomous with peace or peacefulness or how an eagle is a symbol of freedom.




Emotional Poetry for You


         The following are just a few of the poems I found when looking for emotion under poetry:

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#920921 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#920460 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#919800 by Not Available.

 The Scar  (E)
It is never insignificant to hurt someone.
#919607 by Norksquad

 A Better Day Tomorrow ( 9.11.01 Tribute)  (E)
a poem that i wrote after the WTC and Pentagon attacks
#225855 by *love2NaNoWriMo*

I Etched His Name  (E)
For my uncle who died in war. Thanks to Melissa for the awardicon!
#514708 by Lady Stars

What I Want Most  (E)
A poem about wishing for a child.
#657264 by ~*sHaYnE*~

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#714572 by Not Available.

As Time Passes Me By  (E)
For anyone who has lost someone dear and wondered why
#421600 by Lexi





Wonderful Feedback


         I love getting feedback. Thanks everyone who lets me know my successes and, yes, even my failings.

Submitted By: princess

Great newsletter ...... keep up the good work

Thanks, I'll try.


Submitted By: pendragon

Hi Viv! Great newsletter..as always. You are such a great teacher and inspiration to the poetry writing people here at W.com..

To answer your question, I like free verse out of the three choices you listed is my favorite. It always, at least for me, allows the emotions to flow easier from the heart without having to worry about a pre-determined structure of a certain type. Here is one of my free flow poems...

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#913558 by Not Available.


Thanks again for a great read!

~OM


Thank you, OM. I hope everyone reads and reviews your poem.


Submitted By: red_wolf

I think this survey was rather good.
I enjoyed it a lot. PLease write more like
it.

I would use more surveys if they weren't so hard to compile. I'm glad you liked the information I received.


Submitted By: mstreet

You are so informative! I tinkered with Pantoum a few years back, but I haven't the patience for writing poetry, so I mainly just write fiction, which comes more easily for me. Still, I love to read poetry, so I really enjoy this newsletter! Keep it up!

Thank you very much.


Submitted By: bwilcox

Just a fabulous NL, Viv. You are such an educator

That teacher will not stay locked in the closet. *Laugh*


Submitted By: regained

Well, Viv I tried both of them... Here is my attempt at virelay
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#905782 by Not Available.
Larry

Thanks, Larry. Hey, readers, check out Larry's virelay, please.


Submitted By: groovygrapes

can you please put in a poem about a storm, although you do pick well!

If you go to the search system at the top of the page, you can write "Storm" in the blank, then under "Type," scroll down to poetry and click. Then click on "Go." You'll find any poetry written or including storms.


Submitted By: Puditat

Great edition on the Pantoum and Virelay. The first I've done (and it is one of my favourites) and the Virelay I have never tried. I shall have to give it a go.


Good. Let us have the link to your virelay when you finish, please.



Submitted By: Steve Savage

My favorite style is one that I don't even know if it has a name. It is the style that has a rhyme within each first & third lines of each stanza. As in Robert Service's "The Cremation of Sam McGee"
First two stanzas:
There were strange things done 'neath the midnight sun,
by the men who toiled for gold.
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
that would make your blood run cold.

The Northern lights have seen strange sights
but the queerest they ever did see
was the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
I cremated Sam mcgee.
& so on & so forth.......

So what do you call this style?
Steve

It doesn't have a name as far as I know. It is simply following a rhyme scheme. I love this poem, too.


Submitted By: Mitch

My favorite poetry form is the Shakespearean Sonnet. Mostly because it's a challange while remaining simple. Other forms can be challenging but star to grow more complicated. The attraction for me is in the naturalness and simplicity of the finished form.

Thanks for sharing your favorite. Yes, the Shakespearean Sonnet is indeed a challenge.


Submitted By: LateForTheSky

free verse

I agree with you. Free verse is my favorite, but I like many other forms, too.


Submitted By: Gerrard

I like poetery that rhymes exactly and the rhythm correct to the syllable. I know that this is restrictive in some ways but I find that is the challenge to one's ability.
Those who write, educate---Gerrard

I'm glad we all can enjoy different types of poetry. There are many excellent ones in the poetry world.


Submitted By: creativepen8

Hello Viv,
I just wanted to tell you how interesting and informative your descriptions of the two forms of poetry: Pantoum & Virelay were. I hadn't heard of Virelay before, so it was something new.
Thanks for sharing this info.
a creative pen

I'm glad to add something new and interesting to those who read the newsletter. Thanks for letting me know that I did.



Submitted By: {usuer:regained}

Viv, thank you for instructions for the pantoum.
Here is my attempt. The red letter are prompts for Andorian Ice Princess contest. Here is the poem and the contest forum:
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#905449 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#890614 by Not Available.


Thank you for sharing your poetry with us. I hope you liked the form.


Submitted By: TaintedFemale

Hey Viv!!

As always, you’ve done a fantastic job with this weeks paper! It’s always a pleasure to read! Thanks!

Anood


Thanks, Anood.


Submitted By: hobbit

I just wanted to drop you an email and let you know that I find your poetry newsletter the most objective and well worth the time to read. You always come up with a way to help the writer and the reader understand what poetry is all about. Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write your column. I would be interested in knowing what you think of my poetry but wouldn’t bother asking you to read any of it unless I have piqued your curiosity. Keep up the good work.

Will everyone read at least one of hobbit's poems this week? I'll be visiting your port, too.



Until next time, read and write beautiful poetry.

Viv

© Copyright 2004 Vivian (vzabel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/920975-Poetry-Newsletter---December-29