*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/924547-The-Simple-Things
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #924547
Taking your partner's love for granted and only realising it now.
         I recalled earlier today when you asked me why I love you. I remembered being speechless at your question. I remembered the many thoughts that swirled inside my head, like a tornado kept in a box, trying to find the right words to say. But I couldn't then. Because I had never asked myself that question before. I had been so foolish to believe phrases like the most common one being, "Love at first sight". I had been so foolish in wanting to know why you love me yet I couldn't answer my question back to you.

         I recalled when you turned away from me, obviously saddened by my inability to answer a simple question. But to you, this wasn't just any simple question. To you, it matters. To you, it matters to me. To you, it matters because it involves you and me.

         Watching you slowly walk away from me, I realised that you were giving me more time. More time to answer your question. More time to think through it. More time for you to be proven wrong. Proven that I do indeed know the answer. Know the answer to your simple question. But again, I couldn't. And so you left me there, stranded. Still dumbfounded and a sudden sense of loneliness came upon me. Lonely as you had left me there alone. Lonely as the sudden realisation that one day, I might lose you. Just thinking about it made me realise how important you are to me. And so with a hesitation in my steps, I walked slowly home.

         Taking the route which we had always used during our long walks together, walking through it alone then felt different. I knew something was missing and I also knew what was it. You. Simple as that. As simple as your question which I still couldn't answer.

         I continued walking along the route, taking in the surroundings around me. I had never really taken notice of the flora along the way. Flowering bushes had been planted along the sides of the path, which let out a fragrant scent into the air, while trees were placed at strategic locations to show off its beauty. I stopped when I came upon a pavilion. It was there that you and I always went to during our so called dates.

         I went towards it and sat on the bench, recalling the times we were together there. It was then that the answers came to me. Answers to your question. I cursed myself for not knowing it earlier. So that you wouldn't have gone home feeling dejected. Dejected by my lack of appreciation to you. I knew then what I had to do.

         So here I am, writing this to you. I predicted that you wouldn't pick up my call. I thought that maybe you didn't want to listen to me after earlier today. And I'm going to write the answer that you had wanted here. The answer that will mend our relationship again. The answer that will allow me to see you again, and let nothing deter our relationship again. So, here it goes :

         Why do I love you, you asked. I know now why I had been unable to answer it earlier. Because it can't just be summed up in some chosen words. Our love for each other has been developed through trust and friendship. To know why I love you so much, you must first notice the simple things that you do when we are together.

         Whenever we exchanged greetings or farewells, there will be a sparkle in your eyes or a sense of longing. The way you laugh to express out your words. The gleam in your eyes when you are surprised or see something beautiful. And your smile that can take my heart away whenever I see it.

         These are simple things which the both of us take for granted. But as simple as it is, it matters. It matters to you. It matters to me. And I should not have taken your love for granted. And for as long as I live, I promise you that my love will never waiver. For as long as you do the simple things you do.
© Copyright 2005 walshammer (walshammer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/924547-The-Simple-Things