*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/925763-Wings
Rated: E · Poetry · Emotional · #925763
This is a piece that I wrote for a co-worker who was retiring
Wings
By: Black Pheonix
A woman had been walking down a seemingly endless road. She grew beside herself as she came upon yet another fork in the middle of the road. As she collapsed and sobbed in frustration, an angel heard her tears falling and came to her aid.

"Can you help me?" she cried. "I believe I have lost my way. I've been walking on this road for miles and I havve no idea where to go next." The angel smiled warmly at the woman. "You have no reason to cry. The journey of life itself is endless. It's not about the final destination at which you arrive. It's about the lessons learned and given along the way," it said.

The woman looked up through her tears and noticed the angel's wings. They were soft, fluffy alabaster pillows with gold on their tips. She marveled, "If I had a pair of wings like those, they would help me get to where I'm going." The angel sat down beside her. "Have you thought about where you have been? Have you thought about all of the lives you have changed and all of the tears you've dried? Have you thought of the hearts you have mended and the souls you have comforted? Life is a wondrous circle of giving. For all that you have lost in your own life, you still continue to give, selflessly. For all of the tears you have cried, you have given your own shoulder to others to lean on."

The woman grew silent, never realizing the impact she had on the lives of others untill she heard the angel's words. "Look at the road ahead of you," the angel commanded. "Just because you reach the end of it does not mean that your journey is over. Just because you don't have wings does not mean that you cannot fly. You will be guided by the very good you possess." The woman rose from the ground and turned to face the unending road. "How will I know where to go now? How will I know what to do?"

The angel hovered above her and placed its hands on her shoulders. "Let your heart be your guide. Its wings will take you to wherever you may be needed." In a soft whisper, the angel was gone. With a new found confidence, the woman began to walk along the road again. On her shoulders, rested a pair of fluffy, alabaster wings with golden tips
© Copyright 2005 Black Phoenix (wonderlove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/925763-Wings