*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/925849-A-Dragons-Heart-in-Hand
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #925849
Darcania is on the run, and runs in to a stranger that may or may not be her savior.
A dragons heart in hand.

Over the years it has come to my attention that those people that contain a dragons heart make the best mates and best lovers, as I had the opportunity to find out. For those of you out there that are a true dragons outside and in know what I am talking about. And I need say no more… for those of you that don’t … please read on…

It was a cold winters day as she stood upon the hilltop overlooking the small town that was tucked away in the valley below. Trees outlined the edges making the village look even more quaint as snowdrifts covered the houses, and with only two roads leading in and out of the valley made it all that more unaccommodating for any army’s that wished to take over the village. But what she had learned from the last place she stayed from the bar keep was that the town was peaceful and welcomed most travelers as long as they had the money to stay. The place looked quiet enough and a better place to hide than her last choice. She expected the same cold welcome here as she had everywhere else. She wasn’t really welcome any where these days. Tugging lightly on her horse’s reins the large gentle beast followed willingly, perhaps it knew that she would get out of the cold for a while. A half wolf walked beside her, his ears listening to every noise following every silent command. She set out again making the first prints in the new snow.

She had made good time the last few days by keeping ahead of a snowstorm that caught her followers until it eventually caught her too but she was ready when it did, tucked away in a cave that she had found by accident. She hoped that the snow had whipped out her tracks and that she could find some safety in this small village for a while.

*~*~*

Warily she opened the door to the rustic tavern that had an emblem of a scarlet dragon engraved on to a swinging board above the door. The dragon’s eyes almost looked lifelike as it swung back and forth with a squeak. Inside was dark and reeked of bodies full of ale, having nothing better to do than drink and tell tall tales of wars gone by to pass the long winters. The dingy atmosphere held a hint of animosity that grew as she stepped inside the door. Most of the people in there looked up scowling at her. Her wolf was still at her side standing protectively.

“Get out… your kinds not welcome here.” Barked the barkeep. He was a stout plump man that was starting to bald. Most of the men, of the faces she could see agreed with him. Her wolf at her side lowered his head and his ears growling menacingly yet so soft only she could hear it.

“Come now Barlo… You would throw such a beautiful lady out in the snow? She looks half frozen.” Said a deep voice from the shadows of the room. She could not see his face, but could tell he was a rather large man. The barkeep looked nervously at that man in the shadows then back at the girl with the wolf. He nodded slowly apparently afraid of the man sitting in the shadows. He was not a man to mess with.

The girl walked in the rest of the way letting the door close behind her as she walked up to the bar. She tossed down a few gold coins on the table. “I need a room for the night and a place to put my horse.”

“No rooms, you will have to sleep with the horses.” Said the barkeep.

“Barlo…” said the man in the shadows with an edge to his voice. The barkeep glared in to the shadows before a look of fear crossed his face. The girl’s wolf gave a small whimper as it moved closer to her. When she turned to look she saw nothing out of the ordinary and wondered what had just happened.

“Right this way ma’am.” The barkeep said as he pocketed the coins and headed toward a staircase in the back of the room. He took her to a room near the end of the short hall way and opened the door for her, sliding past her with as much space as he could put between them and quickly walked back down stairs. It looked as though her stay here would be only the night. She set her bag down on the small one-person bed that was covered in shabby blankets that didn’t look like they could keep anyone warm in the cold room. Looking around the room she took in all the possessions, a dresser on its last legs, table and chair that looked no better off and a small mirror that was cracked strait down the center. A window the same size of the mirror was frozen over and mostly covered in snow making it the only source of light in the room. A small fireplace sat cold and empty without a flame. First thing she did was take down the cracked mirror, not wanting to see the mark on her forehead that branded her.

Checking to make sure she had her money still and her dagger she left the room followed closely by her wolf. As she closed the door she drew a rune on the door that locked it to all but herself, the mark glowed for a moment before disappearing completely leaving no sign that it was there. Satisfied that her stuff was safe from hands that craved new valuable possessions she went downstairs to check on her horse to make sure it had made it to the barn. To her surprise when she entered the barn her horse was content eating its fill of hay and being well cared for by the stable boy who greeted her with the only respect she had since seen. To show her thanks she gave him a coin telling the boy to take good care of her horse. She figured the man in the shadows had something to do with the fact that her horse was already in the stables. She stayed with her horse a moment longer, a beautiful gray filly with white spots all over her. The girl had named her snow fury because she ran as fast as the storm that had chased them. She had bought the filly from a farmer just before the storm and for a few extra coins had persuaded the farmer to say nothing about her. She hoped he had kept his word.

*~*~*

The girl made her way up the stairs carefully holding a tray filled with food and hot tea. She was planning to spend the day tucked away in the room to get some much needed sleep as well as to hide from the glares of the men below. As she opened her door she saw a large man sitting on her bed looking threw her bag. His hair was long and seemed to change color as he sat there.

“What the hell do you think you are doing?” She burst out.

“Well hello beautiful” he said calmly looking at her with completely deep blue eyes. She blushed slightly for it was rare that she ever received a compliment. He closed the spell book in his hands with a snap still looking at her. It took a second for the girl to recover from the shock.

“What the hell are you doing in my room? And with my book?” she said glaring at him angrily. “And how did you get past my spell?”

“Ah yes the spell… very impressive, weak but impressive for someone of your talent.” He said setting down the book on the bed.

“It was intended to keep out the normal’s something you apparently are not, now what are you doing in my room?” The man only grinned at her. He waved his hand and her tray of food was now on the table. “How did you do that?” The girl asked curiously.

“What’s your name beautiful?” He asked ignoring her question.

“Why should I tell you?”

“Because I asked.”

“If I tell you will you get out?”

“Perhaps…” The large man said folding his arms over his chest.

“My names Darcania, what’s yours? And how did you do that tray moving thing?” She asked her curiosity getting a hold of her.

“That was real magic and they call me Scar.”

“Scar? What kind of name is that?”

“It’s the name given to me by the villagers, it suits me well enough.”

“So then what’s your real name?”

“Ah ah ah my dear… I never give my true name away to those who have not gained my trust. What brings you to this small town?”

“What business is it of yours?”

“I make anything that interests me, my business, and you my dear Darcania, interest me a great deal.”

She frowned watching him. “I’m not one you should be interested in. I bring trouble and death to those who know too much.”

“Heh is that so?”

“Yeah, now get out, and leave me in peace. I’ll be out of here soon enough and out of your hair.”

“Suit yourself.” He said getting to his feet, his head almost touching the ceiling. Out of impulse Darcania took a step back. He chuckled to himself as he walked toward the door, leaning down to whisper in to her ear. “If I were you I would show a little more gratitude towards those that have made it possible for you can stay here. And stay as long as you like… there is another storm coming this way.” With that he opened the door and was gone, not even his footsteps echoed down the hall. Darcania shivered before looking over the room again. She hadn’t noticed the room was a bit warmer. The fireplace was lit and burning nicely. As well as a new blanket on the bed this one in good shape. She walked over and reached down to touch it. It was full of down feathers and would be extremely warm. Looking back at the door she wondered just who or what that man was.
© Copyright 2005 TheDragonKeeper (lanya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/925849-A-Dragons-Heart-in-Hand