*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/926798-Depression-and-Progression
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #926798
Story of a struggle with one's self and death.
Depression & Progression



It all started one day at school. I was being my normal self when I thought “Man everyone hates me, I’m all alone, and nobody cares about me.” From that point on I just got worse. I became more and more depressed each day, hiding it by smiling and trying to act like my normal self. I smiled, I laughed, and I joked around, but people started asking me questions I didn’t want to answer. So I left to be by myself. I started walking, just wishing I were dead. I continued to walk until I reached the edge of Kendall Woods. As I entered, the sun started to set. The woods then became very dark. It seemed like I walked forever; then I came to a stump. I sat down and began to think of a way to kill myself. Would I do it with a gun or with my car? And just at that time I heard a branch break behind me, I turned to look. There was nothing. Then I heard this hideous laugh of a mad man. I started to get scared.

I began running frantically through the woods, when I encountered something frightful wearing a black hood and robe. I could not see the man’s face, only his blood red eyes staring down at me. He started to laugh the laugh of Hades. He held out his hand of bone and said, in a demonic voice, “Come, come with me, I’ll show you the way.”

I thought for a minute. Then I looked straight into his blood red eyes, with no fear in my heart, and said, “I can’t go with you, there are people that love me here.”

The man was very angered by my decision and grabbed his weapon of death. Then he bent over, got in my face, and said; “You’ll come with me one way or the other”!

With these words he stood and swung his giant sickle nearly severing my head from my shoulders. If it weren’t for the log behind me, which I fell over, I would have no head. Once I realized what had happened, the man was already coming after me again. Before he could take another swing, I quickly got to my feet and took off running as fast as I could, trying to evade my pursuer. It seemed that no matter where I went, he was already there waiting for me. When I got to my car; he was in the driver’s seat. So I ran to my house and when I got to my room; he was sighting in my gun and sharpening my knives. There was no getting away from him. I started to run through town. Finally, to no avail, I turned down an alley. It was a dead end and I was trapped. The man turned the corner and slowly walked towards me, stopping about five feet away and said, “There’s no escaping me.”
I began to frantically search for something to help me anything to help me, but there was nothing. All of a sudden, he looked to his right; then back at me, with those eyes, and said calmly, “I’ll be back for you, but right now I have another job to do.”

With that, he turned and walked away. I let out a sigh of relief as I cautiously walked out of the alley. After I knew it was safe, I went to talk to my two sisters. They were both deeply concerned, loving, and caring towards me and about what I had told them.

Then, he came again. Not wanting to involve my sisters I ran to him taunting him so he would chase me and not my sisters. Once he started to chase me, I ran; and just as I looked back to see if I had lost him, he was nowhere to be found. When I looked forwards again there he was; his blood red eyes were burning with anger. “Ha, ha, ha! You’re mine now; there’s no one to help you this time”! he said as he crept closer and closer towards me.

I froze. I couldn’t move anywhere. The only thing I could ... could do was watch him getting closer and closer and closer, knowing what his intentions for me were. I didn’t know what to do; my mind went blank, I couldn’t think, couldn’t find a way out.

Just then a car came speeding around the corner, driving through the man and bringing me back to my senses. I used that opportunity to escape one more time, wondering how I would get away from him. “Who is this man? Why is he after me”? I thought. Just then I realized this man wasn’t a man at all. It was death, and he wanted to take my life. I found and confronted him, and said,“ I know who you are and what you want.”
“Then come with me,” he said.
“I’m not ready to go with you; I’ve changed my mind,” I firmly told him.
“Then I’ll come back when it’s your time.”
“That won’t be for a while; I plan to be around for a long time.” I uttered, as I turned away and went back to my family and friends.
© Copyright 2005 Archon Pantos (kendall at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/926798-Depression-and-Progression