*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/927844-Beside-Yourself
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Teen · #927844
A book I've begun to write on teenage individuality.

Author's warning: I have nothing, I repeat, NOTHING against most teens. No flames will be read twice or even thought about. So if you think you'll offend me through flames, please think again. It won't work.

This is a sarcastic book, and it does not all necessarily state my beliefs. If you cannot take a joke or cannot detect sarcasm, please steer clear of this.

Forward

What you are about to read is spoken through the mouth of a teenager. Fourteen years old and counting, to be exact. I had the idea to write this after I had made my own website- a website dedicated to teens by teens. It was an online haven that expressed individuality. That’s where I got the fuel to do this book; teens e-mailing me congratulating me on my essays and rants on what you’re about to read. Sadly, that website became too much of a hassle to rise up to the overwhelming demand of daily updates.

So why not read an entire book on it, going into full detail about today’s youth? A book written by a teenager for other teenagers. Let’s face it, teenagers would rather a book written by a teen than an adult, right, one that‘s aimed at them? A teen understands the psychology and sociology of their peers more than adults at a given time.

What you’re going to read, keep in mind, is a highly opinionated, sarcastic book from a fed up teenager. Something that a lot of people can relate to. This piece of literature is intended for those who can laugh at themselves- because I’m going to be taking hits at all kinds of people.

I’ve only been on this earth for fourteen years, but I’m an observant person and take things to the next level. This book is my report- what I see and my bold thoughts on it. Love it or hate it, take it or leave it.

I believe that everyone needs to express themselves. If you have something inside you, let it out. Don’t worry about the reaction of people; as long as you aren’t discrimination- hesitation will only stop your progress.


Explaining Today’s Youth

Going to a high school can be very, very pressuring. In my case, when there’s a school filled with rich kids, mostly snobby and rude, you’re bound to be pressured into someone you’re not or don’t want to be. During my teen years, it seemed that everyone just had to be like everyone else. Everyone had to have a Louis Vuitton purse. Everyone had to watch all the new reality shows; “The Real World“, “Road Rules” and “Laguna Beach“. It was just in.

That’s all there is to it. If you don’t follow what’s in, then you’re simply not good enough for anyone. As sad as it sounds, it’s true- about today’s youth. And what’s even worse; some people don’t want to follow in with this crowd- but of course, their reputation is at stake.

It seems like there are three stereotypes amongst teenagers nowadays; the “preps,” the “thugs,” and the “Goths.” Then there are what you call “sub-categories” in each stereotype.

The “preps” shop at Louis Vuitton, Abercrombie & Fitch and Pacific Sun. The girls are blond bimbos who get their nails done, hair dyed, and smother themselves in make up each day before they can do so much as leave their three-story Victorian-style house. They are incredibly thin, obsess over reality shows and MTV. They dress like they’re trying to attract a crowd of guys. Also, another fact about them, they all just love pop music. Most are rich and they despise those who are individuals, “thugs,” and “Goths.”

The “thugs,” dress in Sean John, Shady Limited, Ecko Unlimited and South Pole, just to name a few. They go around in cars packed with loud speakers and hydraulics. They always listen to rap music, and want to go around and shoot people for no reason. If they dress in velour suits and listen to rap music, they are “gangsters.” And of course, white people are not allowed to be “thugs.” The rest of them smoke weed and do all other sorts of drugs. The majority are pimps and drug dealers and even if they live in an alley, they will say they’re rich.

Then we move on to the “Goths,” the “Gothic people,” and the “punks.” Some people go as far as to call them “freaks.” Their favorite place to shop is Hot Topic; where they can “express themselves” with dressing in all black (maybe a little red). They are into blood, Satanism, self-mutilation, gore and depression. They always go to the mall, specifically the arcade and play “Dance Dance Revolution.” The better you get at that game, the more popular you are. Of course, all they listen to is heavy metal and other forms of rock. They despise the “preps” above all. And although they promote individuality, they fail to realize that they are just falling into yet another group.

You cannot call yourself a teenager in America without knowing about the three major stereotypes. As soon as you walk through the mall, or anywhere where other teens wander, and you see someone dressing in one of the classifications mentioned above, you know all about their personality, don’t you? If they dress in all black, they’re depressed. If they dress like a “thug” then they are violent, weed-smoking people. If they dress like “preps” then they are stupid wannabees.

Of course, you may have not stereotyped people like this, and for that you are making a difference. So many people stereotype, when it usually isn’t true. It’s not just the teens either, adults do it. Many (not all) adults are intimidated by a lot of teens; specifically the “gothic” ones.

I can’t wait to have kids, to be able to raise some of my own flesh and blood. I can’t wait to tell them that back in my day, ninety out of every hundred kids followed some kind of trend. Yes, beautiful age, eh?

Let’s make this clear- I do not label people. I’m simply pointing out the common stereotypes among American teens. I’m not making fun of each “classification,” (or whatever you want to call it), I’m making fun of how people classify people like this. It’s getting to the point where I just want to say “screw it.” If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. That’s how it goes right?

Wrong. Today’s society is making slaves of teenagers. The media can be blamed for most of this- the diets, the celebrities, music, television… I could go on and on.

There’s a difference between being an individual and following a group whom you think is individualistic. A lot of people fail to realize that. And because of that, many teens fall into groups and are stereotyped against.
© Copyright 2005 Aislynne (aislynne at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/927844-Beside-Yourself