*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/929167-Mi-Casa-and-Su-Casa
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Community · #929167
How'd They Do That? - more details on the Anderson home makeover
How’d They Do That?
Mi Casa and Su Casa: The Anderson Family
January 17, 2005
Recap by J.G. Bird

How do you start a show that proclaims, “How’d They Do That?” when Murphy’s Law has robbed you of the usual achievement – renovating a deserving family’s home in 7 days? You go over again how it is that happened. The seven day deadline for the home makeover challenge is blown when a number of factors create a stretch of delays. The removal of debris from the lot results in a gas line break on Day 2. There’s a day of rain – yes, it happens occasionally in California. That rain makes it necessary for framers to continue their work into the night. Open roofs over slurry concrete foundations create an immediate need to secure cover. A sewer line break on Day 4 and a missing shift of plumbers are a bad combination. And, essentially, each of the design team members agree, never having attempted a two-house build in seven days is the biggest contributing factor. A lot of credit goes to the small contractor firm, Ahern Construction for keeping it going so that the family’s return is only delayed an extra day.

A nice bit of bonding is shown between Preston Sharp and newcomer, Ed Sanders as they collaborate on a courtyard bench. Preston assigns Ed the task of building some sturdy outdoor furniture out of a massive piece of lumber. Although Ed sketches out something, Preston reworks it to his liking, creating a geometric design which pieces together from various size blocks of the rough-hewn beam. Eighteen straight hours later for Ed, a solid, impressive bench emerges in its finished state. It takes seven men to carry it to the space between the Anderson homes. At this point, Ed hoists Preston part of the way in a piggy-back ride, and this is particularly goofy as Ed jokes that they are bonding like father and son.

A segment on the realities of gang culture in the neighborhood is brought up mid-show. Ed goes on a ride-along with Sheriffs Deputies in the South Central LA area. He is told about the epidemic of generational gang membership. By bringing an extreme level of caring to the Anderson family, it is suggested that it helps the neighborhood. Carl Washington, a local assemblyman agrees that when caring at this level is displayed, it changes things. It’s hard, but motivating for the designers to realize the way dreams are so easily extinguished in this neighborhood daily; Paige takes extra care building a special shadowbox for Rodney’s basketball jersey, and tears up pondering how his life is changed forever.

Ty is also a firm believer in changing this family’s outlook by giving Martha and Joseph a beautiful retreat. He purposefully provides that Zen-look to his project, both to bring a look of comfort and balance, but also to call upon a look that they may remember in furnishings for the late 50’s and early 60’s. There’s a pebbled tile finish on the bathroom floor with jade-colored accents that’s a nice detail to see. He builds a long credenza and box shelves with lighting and includes sliding doors that are translucent. He gets help with the curtains and wall hanging décor from muralist, Nancy Hadley, who has helped on quite a few of the makeovers. Ty even demonstrates the technique for making the uniformly painted circles (various size bottle lids dipped in paint to create outlines, and then filled-in). The still pictures of the senior Andersons taking in all the elements of their suite, show the awe on both of their faces. I’m sure this makes Ty’s day.

Paige is enthusiastic for Ty’s proclamation that the design team try to pull off a wedding for Monique and Rodney upon their return. Paige states she’s been a wedding coordinator for 5 years. She takes charge and assigns each one of them a task to get the preparations underway. Ed samples cakes at a Sherman Oaks bakery called Layers. Tracy picks out a dress for Monique. Paige tackles flowers, and all the accents, which includes building a custom trellis from which hanging candles, fabric and flowers become the focal point over the couple during the ceremony. Preston rambles on about how nervous he is, being assigned the task of picking out rings. Steve Robbins of Robbins Bros. helps him find a set that goes along with the channel-set diamond engagement ring already provided to Rodney for his on-air proposal to Monique.

At reveal time, we again are shown the routine for setting up the shot in which Ty stands with the returning family and reveals the home, while the rest of the design team peek out from inside. Tim the contractor is allowed to come out and congratulate the family too at this moment. He reveals that his company has pledged to pay utilities for the family’s home for a year. Ty notes that the jubilation (hysterical screaming, ohhing and ahhing) among the family just over a laundry area tells him the level of their sincere appreciation. The last segment shot per Makeover episode Ty reveals, is the shot in which Ty closes for the How’d They Do That? show; in this case, walking around the completed kitchen of Rodney Anderson’s home. This time, he shares a little comedy and orange juice with the camera operator.
© Copyright 2005 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/929167-Mi-Casa-and-Su-Casa