*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/933997-Desolate-Mountain
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #933997
This will be my first published piece!..just an intro!
The mist stung my face as I rode through the night, and the wood were dark...very dark. One could not see a tree six paces ahead of him, for example. But I rode on, despite the signs. My instincts were telling me to find a place to set up camp, but I just didn't feel comfortable in this particular area of the Malice Wood. It was likely due to the feeling that came over me, telling me someone or something was near, and it didn't want me there. But my horse was getting weary, so I needed to find a spot, and with haste.
The place I finally made camp at was a small clearing just beside the Deenia River. At least there was enough moonlight there to see a little more clearly. A noise from just outside the clearing startled me just as I began to let my gaurd down a little (ever reminding me that a hunter never lets his gaurd down), but as I moved closer for inspection of the noise a small rabbit hopped in fromt of me. So I laughed it away, and had a decent rabbit soup that night for dinner.
The next morning I awoke to the sound of a viscious scream from somewhere near by. Was there a bear out of hibernating already? Surely not, I told myself. But there was. An enormous black bear was tearing away at a doe. Not wanting to be next in line, I quickly but quietly made my way away from there.
As the hours passed, I started silently weaping over the love I didn't have. This was a routine event for me. I wanted nothing more than to find loe with someone I could trust, but it seemed impossible. I rode along the overgrown path with all these strange things happening around me, but my mind was somewhere else. Big mistake for a warrior. My instincts were telling me something was wrong, but I think I had passed the point of caring about what happened to me.
But after a few more moments, my senses came back to me, and I realized what was happening. I was being followed. But not by a human...this creature was far too silent. Had I not been the warrior that I was, I wouldn't have been able to detect the intruder. "Who's there?" I asked, feeling foolish immediately afterwards. Surely this imposter wouldn't answer. Moments went by of complete silence. Feeling extremely cautious, I placed my hand on my sword. But before I could even get a firm grip, this stalker answered my question.
© Copyright 2005 thediabolic (bitterbucolic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/933997-Desolate-Mountain