*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/934061-untitled
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #934061
some random thoughts running through my head.
Prologue

I don't know how long I've been staring outside the car window, counting the little droplets of rain as they hit the ground. Traces of winter is nowhere to be found. The rain has erased every evidence of winter. I hate it when it rains. It makes everything look messy and sad. I wish it would snow everyday. Maybe not everyday, now that I think about it.
So much has changed this year. People in my hometown look at me with shame and disgrace on their faces. Whenever I say hi to them, it's like I'm talking to bricks. I guess the resemblance between my father and I were too hard for them. I remember people coming up to me and asking why my father and mother murdered Mr. Jones. How should I know? I'm only a kid, was the answer i would always give them. They would just stare at me like they couldn't comprehend my answer.

Chapter 1

"We're going to be stopping soon to get something to eat" Nancy Said.
I ignored her. Nancy is my social worker. she's kinda pretty but I think she doesn't get asked out much. She wears these thick cat woman glasses, long gray dresses that covers her entire legs and her hair is always in a bun on top of her head. She doesn't wear any make-up. When I first met Nacny she was distant and had a professional manner. At the beggining of the trip, she tried to get me to talk. She soon realizes trhat I'm not much of a talker especially to government workers. It's been 4 and a half hours since we've left Pittsburg. This is going to be a long trip. Nancy said I was going to a place called Safe Harbor.
She won't tell me the state it's in until she gets there. She says it's standard procedure. I think she didn't want me to tell my friendss and parents. What kind of a name is Safe Harbor? The name intrigues me, now I want to know more about this place.
"Do they have any children my age in Safe Harbor?" I ask Nancy.
"I believe they do.
You would like this place" she said.
"What else is there for me to know?" I asked.
"I'll leave that up to you to figure out" she replied.
With that statement she pulled up into Arby's parking lot. I looked at the clock in the car and it read 2:15pm. My tummy sarted rumbling. I wish I could tummy talk then I'll understand what it was saying to me.
"Come on, Let's eat" Nancy said, holding the car door open for me.
I unbuckle my seat belt and got out. Nancy closed the door and locked the car. I took a deep breath,put my hands in my sweatshirt's pocket and followed Nancy in. She founds a booth by the window and we sat down. A pretty blonde waitress came by to give us a menu. She was bery bubbly. I guess she woke up on the right side of the bed this morning. Her name tag read Kellie. I don't see her as a Kellie. Maybe as a Lucy or Martha.
"What can I get you gals to drink?" she asked.
She had this high pitch southern accent. I guess I must have been paying too much attention to Kellie's southern accent for I didn't hear Nancy calling my name until she touched my left hand.
"What?" I snapped.
"What will you be having?" Kellie asked.
"Oh... hmm... sprite please" I said.
"Coming right up" she replied.
"So, what are you going to get?" asked Nancy.
"I don't know yet" I retorted.
I looked outside and it stopped raining.
© Copyright 2005 Gentlebird (gentlebird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/934061-untitled