*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/934063-Zoes-Story-Chapter-II
Rated: · Fiction · Romance/Love · #934063
read and see.
"I...um...really love babies." Good save Nich, he thought to himself.
She started crying. Darn hormones, she thought to herself. "Nich, that's the kindest, most beautiful thing you've ever said and meant. I couldn't do that to you. Yes, I know you mean what you say but still, what if you meet someone someday and you fall in love with her? You'd begin to resent me, I know that you would and then you’d want a divorce. When I marry, I want it to be until death do us part. Thank you!" She turned and ran back to her room with tears streaming down her face. Nicholas longed to run after her, hold her and to tell her that he'd already fallen in love- with her.
At seven months Zoe felt like the Goodyear blimp. "Argh you guys, I feel so stinkin big and ugly. I just was this thing out already." She confided in Anne and Nicholas.
"Your still beautiful, no matter what your size" Her friends comforted her, knowing how sensitive she was.
"Aw you guys are sweet." She began to cry, again, and went to prepare for her doctor's appointment.
On the way home Nicholas held Zoe's hand "I can't believe it. Twins! There are two, what will the lawyer say to that. What will James and Anne say? Oh, this is wonderful and so exciting but yet it complicates things even more.”
Nicholas stopped and gave her a much needed hug, "I know you don’t know," he said. "You just need to let go and let God. God is always here for you babe, He'll help you; all you need to do is ask, remember?!" He smile, took her hand and continued walking.
"I don't know if I believe in a god anymore. If he is really there, then why did he allow this to happen to me? Why?"
"Zoe, we went to the same church for the past 18 years. You learned the same exact things I did. I can't tell you why, I'm not God and only He can tell you. But I can tell you this- He does have a reason. Remember Jeremiah 'Be still and know the plans I have for you... Plans not to harm you but to prosper you....' yada yada yada. I know you know it. He's waiting for your return babe." He hugged her to him.
Zoe shrugged "I don't know anything anymore." They kept walking until they got to the beach. "I have to go there Nicholas, I have to try to remember. Please take me.” She had asked him this morning, on the way to her appointment, to bring her here this now.
"Are you sure you're ready to do this?” Nicholas questioned.
She looked up at him "What does it matter if I do this now or later. As long as you’re with me I can handle this." She smiled at him and pulled on his arm for him to follow. "Besides, the doctor said it's doubtful that I'll remember what. So I need you to tell me, maybe then I'll be able to get this all behind me."
"Well, okay. I still don’t this is a good idea but I'll tell you what I know." So they sit side by side on the beach under the old abandoned pier while Nicholas told her what he knew about her 'special day'. Holding onto her while she cried, he comforted Zoe in her time of need. "Right there is where I found you. It was one of the hardest things we’ve ever been through. You and I have been through so much in our short time. We've been through so many firsts, first words, first days of school, first dates and so on."
"You're right Nicholas, we have been through a lot over the years and there's so much more we're gonna go through in the future. You're one of my best and longest friends- that's why you're here with me.
"Well, I think we should be heading back home before things get too mushy, I mean dark." Nicholas winked at her, got up and helped Zoe to her feet.
"Thank you so much Nicholas." She kissed his cheek and started in the direction of the car. Nicholas paused, what was that all about, he thought to himself before following Zoe.
One day, while Anne was at work, Zoe realized she had Lamaze Class that day. Zoe quickly dialed the numbers to Nicholas’ apartment down the street “Nich, buddy, ole’ pal, friend…” she sucked up.
”What do you want Zoe?”
“Well, um… Anne is at work and I need a partner for Lamaze Class today. Do you think you could fill in for her? PLEASE!”
“Oh okay. Go get ready and I’ll be over in a few minutes to pick you up.”
After the class was over, they stopped to get an ice cream before heading home.
“Whoa, I didn’t realize what all you girls have to go through. Thank you for taking me; I’ve learned a new appreciation for you.”
“You’re welcome,” She smiled at him, “You weren’t that bad either.” She took Nicholas to other classes, all basically the same, with an ice cream treat afterwards.
The months drifted by, during the passing weeks, she saw less and less of her brother and Anne, and saw more and more of Nicholas. Many times while they were watching movies, Zoe would fall asleep on the couch; so it would be Nicholas carrying the seventh month pregnant Zoe into her room.
One night Zoe managed to stay up through an entire movie. “Nicholas?" she asked.
"Yeah?"
"Why did all this have to happen to me? Why must I be the one to make all the decisions about my babies and about life? I know I already asked you all this, but it's so hard, I just feel so alone.” She finished with tears streaming down her face. Nicholas hugged the bulging Zoe to his side.
"I know how you feel. I can't answer your questions, only God can answer your questions. But know this, you're not alone- you have your brother, Anne, me and especially God, all here to help you."
"I know you're all here, but still... I feel alone... Nicholas... I think I have to get to the hospital.” She started worrying.
"Why? What's wrong Zoe?" Nicholas was about to panic; if anything were to happen to Zoe, her brother was bound to blame or hurt him.
"I think I just had a contraction. I can't handle this too. ARGH I'm only seven months, this is not the time!"
"We'll worry AFTER you're at the hospital. LET’S GO!" He stood up and got Zoe down into the waiting taxi. A few minutes later, they arrived at the hospital. Zoe was admitted quickly and was wheeled into a private examination room. Doctor Jacobs arrived at Zoe's room shortly after to begin her examination. During the doctor's examination, Nicholas went to use the payphone down the hall to call James and Anne. James and Anne got to the hospital twenty minutes later.
Zoe had begun contractions early; both mother and babies were fine, for now but would have to be on complete bed rest until the actual delivery date.
For the next two months, the three catered to their friend as much as possible. Zoe was irritable, cranky and in the worst of moods. "I'm sorry guys. I just feel so useless and helpless; I don't like this feeling at all!" She would apologize to them constantly. The others took it upon themselves to gather everything needed for the babies, when they would come home. They got cribs, to put in Zoe’s room and other things the twins would need.
"Oh you guys. The baby kicked!" She cried out to Anne, James and Nicholas. "Come here and feel them kicking!" They came over and shared in her elation.
During her period of prison-like bed rest, she made plans for the adoption of her babies.
The real day came soon enough; only Nicholas was home with her. He helped Zoe, once again, into another waiting taxi and got them to the hospital.
Nicholas used the same payphones as last time while Zoe was being examined. Nicholas was unable to get a hold of either of them, anywhere, again. So he left a message for them and headed back to Zoe's room. "What do you think to Ilisabeth Nicole or Jamie Anne and Matthew James or Michael Nicolas, depends on what these little guys are.” Another contraction hit, causing Nicholas to pause in his reply. He sat beside her bed, holding her hand, helping her through her breathing techniques.
“I love them. They’re perfect, just like you."
© Copyright 2005 omegano (omegano249 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/934063-Zoes-Story-Chapter-II