*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/937077-A-Tribute-to-Karen-Ann
by Dottie
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Family · #937077
She's with God in Heaven. Please read her Eulogy.
A TRIBUTE TO KAREN


         Within two months from diagnosis, my niece, Karen Ann, passed away from cancer on January 27, 2005. Prior to its sudden onset, she was unaware of what was happening inside her body. Although, she sought medical help for various ills, no one checked for this insidious condition that took her life.

         Her long time friend and neighbor, Kathy, prepared and read the eulogy at her funeral Mass. You can hear the emotion in her voice as she paid loving tribute to Karen Ann. Later on, I received permission from Kathy to post the reading into my portfolio on Writing.Com. In this way, family, dear friends, and other readers could have the opportunity to view this tribute. But first, I would like to say a few words about my beloved niece.

         My sister, Lorraine and her husband, Jim had three daughters, and Karen was the oldest. I was given the honor of being her Godmother when she was baptized in 1951 as an infant. Karen was the first of seven of my godchildren. Ever since, Karen has had a special place in my heart. It’s not that I loved her sisters or my other godchildren any less; it’s just that Karen was just that, special.

         As a baby, Karen walked at 9 months old. Before our marriage, my husband and I took her everywhere with us. She was a pleasure to be with. Karen knew that she was the center of attention. She was a beautiful child. In 1960, she upstaged everyone in the bridal party when she walked down the aisle as a flower girl at my brother Edward and Terry’s wedding. She was not yet 9 years old then. I still remember the little things that she did whether they were her accomplishments or comical misadventures.

         In particular, I still have the wooden carving board that she fashioned for me with her very own hands many years ago. It has lasted all these years, because she made it in one piece.

         I remember the time when my husband and I had little Karen for the day. We reminded our children and Karen to be on their best behavior when we took them to a fancy restaurant. We were seated at a beautifully set table. We had just finished eating when Karen bounded from her seat for some reason. A section of the tablecloth got caught on her person, and she whisked the tablecloth and everything that was atop the table onto the floor in one sweep. We still laugh about that incident.

         Karen grew up to be a loving and caring person, who was full of life. She brought up a son and daughter, and when they were old enough to take care of themselves, she went to work in the Post Office. She was so happy to pass the civil service examination, and then was elated when she was called to report to work soon after. That’s where she met her current husband, Bob, of eight years.

         Over the years, she was the instigator to fun loving family reunions whether it was a picnic at a State Park or a barbeque in the backyard at her home. We will all miss those get-togethers. We will miss Karen, too, but we should not grieve too long. She’s with God in Heaven now.



EULOGY FOR KAREN ANN ROBERTS BRAUN-GERLACH

By Kathleen Durish Oliver



         I am honored to speak on behalf of Karen’s dear husband, Bob, cherished children, Bobby and Tina, her beloved sisters, Lynn and Belle, and their families-as well as myself and my husband, Ed, when I thank you for being a part of the celebration of the life of Karen Roberts Braun-Gerlach.

         Karen and I became best friends on the day her family moved in across the street from my family in 1963. From then on, we enjoyed a true friendship of caring and the sharing of everything for 42 years. Our families are so enmeshed that it is hard to tell sometimes where one begins and the other ends, especially these last two months.

         Although our hearts are heavy with sorrow, Karen is the one link each of us here has to the other. She has touched the lives of everyone here in some way, and we in turn try now to comfort each other.

         As I listened to the many visitors over the last two days, through the joyous sounds of laughter, storytelling, and yes, many tears, there were many recurring sentiments. Karen was a free spirit, and she shared that spirit generously. Karen believed in having a good time and in sharing those good times with everyone. You were welcomed to the Gerlach home. Anywhere Karen went she made an entrance. You knew Karen was in the room. And after her marriage to our good friend, Bob eight years ago, she found a peace and contentment that brought joy to those of us who loved her so.

         But the softer side of Karen was her spirit of Christianity; her big compassionate heart. Karen loved God and her family as well as her friends, and gave of herself with innocence and grace.

For all that Karen has given to us, I hope today you will leave with a smile in your heart when you think of her. I pray that the love she gave will continue to give you strength and bring you closer together. And I know you will all remember Karen as the Angel of Free Spirit personified.


Footnote:

I would like to believe that my niece, Karen would share words such as these as her spirit makes its way into the kingdom of God.



I did not ask to leave;
I did not choose to go.
As my eyes closed forever,
I did not even know.

Take comfort in knowing,
I am, like that cocoon,
Seemingly gone, but awaiting,
Anticipating, and soon

My spirit will emerge
like that beautiful butterfly,
Rejuvenated, rejoicing,
and Heaven-bound, I’ll fly.

Poem by Annalynne


My favorite








© Copyright 2005 Dottie (dillyd32 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/937077-A-Tribute-to-Karen-Ann