*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/937138-Howd-They-Do-That-Elcano-Makeover
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Family · #937138
How'd they do an entire farm for the Elcano family of Bakersfield?
How’d They Do That?
for The Elcano Family of Bakersfield (reference season 2 Ep. 8 of Extreme Makeover Home Edition)
Recap By J.G. Bird
February 7, 2005

This episode gives more of the feel of being behind-the-scenes than say, the last two episodes. That is to say, not much new is added. You see much of the same footage, but from a crew perspective. We see the shots being set up for the bus arrival at the Elcano family alfalfa farm. Ty and the other designers speak a lot of the subdued family reception being due to the very recent grief over the loss of the husband-father Glen Elcano.

It’s not surprising that the grief is so current that the movers on the EMHE crew find and are careful to respectfully pack away all of Glen’s clothes just as they were hanging, still in the closet. Even the family’s own roadside memorial to Glen still sits at the front of the house. The wife confides to Ty that they still can’t bear up to set it up at the accident site.

Preston and Paige go to a local antique store and move on a small addition to Glen’s memorial – personal notes written by some crew and all the designers, encased in a tin box to bury at the site of Glen’s passing.

More about the merchants, neighbors and heart of Bakersfield, includes a look at “Life on the Farm.” Grandma Diane is Jennifer Elcano’s mom, who if you recall is a certified welder. She also lives on a farm and has several horses. So, to refurbish the pens for the Elcano’s livestock: cows, sheep, goats, geese, chickens, rabbits, they first call on “Grandma Diane” to transfer the animals to her farm for the week, then use her expertise to build the metal pens. Paul helps in the welding, but questions a few times why he can’t use the big arc welder she’s using. More welding experience for Paulie! Also, more injuries for Paul – this time, an infected spider bite; but he didn’t have much to complain over – he got a pretty, local doctor tending to him everyday.

I suppose I shouldn’t pass up the chance to mention that this episode is Ty-heavy. It’s strangely satisfying knowing that my Grandmother probably could beat Ty at chasing down farm animals. There’s plenty of that foolishness. Finally, we are given a segment to plug the “reveal holes” from the edited EMHE show. All the extras show up in the segment about the fun added to the areas around the farm for the kids - a playhouse from Daniels Wood Land, Inc., doesn’t say enough. This ultimate castle playhouse is carved with chainsaws out of huge chunks of fallen trees; carved, painted, and installed on-site. Plus, there’s a model train you can ride from Riding Railkits. The rideable scale train is installed with a huge circle of track and landscaping. A fenced pool and spa is installed with a shaded area mirroring the barn outlines and red/white color scheme.

Next the headquarters for GlenJen Farms was Ty’s secret room. Included hung curtains, shelf space, a cash register, a counter and the lovely tin ceiling. Ty stressed over how little time he had to complete his room. But it got done. It was labor intensive, yeah – I’m sure you’ve noticed he “locks himself away” with a crew at his command! Todd Sweaney is the contractor and a Bakersfield resident, but except for introducing him at the beginning to the family, we don’t see him again, so it could mean everything went smoothly for him. Even the local utility company understood how much the community was behind the Elcano family and moved a telephone pole to the design team’s specifications.

During the EMHE show that aired on the Elcano’s home makeover, the benefit that raised a scholarship fund for the Elcano children featuring Randy Travis was enormously emotional. What else was overwhelming? Watching all the footage of the backyard reveal that is new to this How’d They Do That? episode. Why do I say overwhelming? I can admit to crying through this part. Seeing first, individual smiles on each of the kid’s faces, and then, as the kids actually begin playing, there is laughter for mom and kids, that you can tell is so needed. The designers make explanations often on what motivates each to push through the temporary discomfort of seven labor-intensive days. This time, it’s so clear what the rewards are, no further comment is needed.
© Copyright 2005 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/937138-Howd-They-Do-That-Elcano-Makeover