*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/938068-In-These-Troubled-Times
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #938068
Two belong to rival Orders - yet fighting side by side, they can't hate each other
The day they reached the capital city was the happiest moment of Liriel’s career. The journey had been dangerous and chances of survival had been slim – but the fate of the country depended on their arrival. So it was a happy day indeed, when Liriel and her companion Korr finally reached the capital.

They had won this small battle. Perhaps they could win the war.

Weary and travel-stained, they rode into the city just as the sun had all but completed its descent from the warm and bronzed late-afternoon sky. They were two of the best Woodsmen in the country, but even they had found that journey difficult. Liriel thought wistfully of the time she had poked fun at Korr’s barely perceptible potbelly – back when they had first set out. The memory stung her now as she noted how thin he had become.

“You’re a mess Liriel,” remarked Korr suddenly.

“You’re one to talk, mister,” she replied glibly. She wondered, uneasily, if he could have read her thoughts.

“Ouch! You lie!” said Korr affably. He ran a hand over his long, unkept mane of hair. “I’m still a handsome devil. No questions.”

“Oh of course, what was I thinking?”

Korr sighed gustily. “The sarcasm of ‘er!” He told his horse.

It wasn’t long before an inn came into sight. It was the inn that signaled the end of their long journey for it was here that they had been sent. Liriel’s heart lightened. They would only be able to rest for one night, but she was not all that tired anyway. She could hardly wait to find out where they would be headed next. Instinctively her hand went to her glaive. It was never far from reach.

They stopped in front of the inn and Korr jumped down from his saddle and landed with a heavy thud. He was not a small man. He was a good head taller than Liriel, who was already considered a long-legged woman.

“Me and my ass are going to celebrate,” he declared, rubbing the ass in question with a pained look.

“My ass and I.”

“Stickler,” responded Korr. He offered his hand to the experienced horsewoman. “Shall I assist you in your dismount, Mistress Stickler?”

Liriel laughed heartily and leapt from her saddle. Only when she was safely on the ground, did she deign to take his hand. Korr chuckled and looked down at the smirking girl. She could see a sarcastic reply rise to his lips. Then it died. His warm grip tightened on her hand.

“You look so worn out,” he said softly. “Your hair’s a mess and you’re all bent out of shape.”

She was so used to their hard, unsympathetic banter, that for a moment Liriel was caught off guard by Korr’s unexpected gentility. She - who had something to say to everything - found that all of a sudden she had no reply to offer. She was left staring up into his concerned face.

Instantly they both looked away. Liriel swore viciously at herself, under her breath. There was no time or place for this. Particularly not in troubled times like these.

* * * * * * * * * *

“Korr you are a credit to the Order of Talunel.” The elderly man shook the tall young Woodsman’s hand vigorously. They were gathered around a large round table in the smoky inn. They had spent the entire evening discussing the journey. The Talunel Elders were thirsty for every detail of it. “And you…are welcome too.” The elderly man’s tone dropped to a frosty note as he turned to Liriel.

She nodded briefly. Liriel was far from welcome at this table. She and Korr sat, surrounded by Elders and fellow Woodsmen from the Order he had been trained in. The only thing that held back the open hostility of these men was their grudging respect for her part in this journey. Aside from this, she was a Woodsman trained in the Order of Sylvaneth – that was condemnation enough in their eyes.

“The Queen felt it was necessary to send for a representative from both of our Orders.” From his terse tone, it was clear that the Elder felt that two Talunel representatives would have served her better. “Our situation is growing worse, daily.”

“Any raids lately?” asked Korr gravely.

“Unfortunately yes. There have been three this month. We held off the first two, but on the third they broke through our defenses and into the city. They managed to capture several people before we could drive them out.”

Korr sighed gustily again. “Poor bastards. What a war…”

“What a war indeed, Korr,” the Elder shook his head sadly. “The Pedrinar think they are entirely within their rights to collect our people as slaves. They are convinced that we are lesser beings.”

“So what does Queen Velezir need us for?”

“She needs the finest Woodsmen for her body guards and she insists on having one from our Order of Talunel and one from … that other Order.” He clenched his jaw.

“Well what are our instructions now that we’re here?” asked Korr.

“You’re to report to her immediately in the morning.”

“Fine. Guess that concludes our business tonight then?”

“Absolutely. Good luck Korr.”

Chairs scraped back as Woodsmen and Elders got to their feet, saluted Korr and tramped from the inn. Not once did they even glance at Liriel.

Left to themselves, they sat in silence. Now it was time to meet with the Elders of the Order of Sylvaneth. They exchanged helpless glances. Liriel knew that he was thinking the same thing as she and they smiled wearily across the table at each other.

“Next?” she said.

Her people would give them the same instructions, but courtesy dictated that they should meet with both Orders. Courtesy was very important when friendships were reluctant.

“Lead on Miss. Stickler. Lead on.” It was his turn to be unwelcome.

* * * * * * * * * *

“What a day…” Korr threw himself across Liriel’s bed.

“Don’t you have your own room?” She pointed out.

“Are you throwing me out??” Despite the incredulity in his voice, Korr seemed perfectly comfortable and showed no signs of moving.

“I’ll think about it.”

“As I was saying…. What a day…” The words were muffled by the yawn that Korr could not resist satisfying before finishing his sentence. He sat up and yawned once more.

“What a day indeed.” Liriel shook her head. She never did anything by halves and there was not a more dedicated Woodsman in the whole Order of Sylvaneth than she - but this was one of those rare days when she questioned her choice. Liriel nervously gathered the courage to ask a question. It was a subject she had never dared broach with Korr before – yet one that she knew was always on both their minds.

“What... what do you think of this whole rivalry between the two Orders?” she asked quietly.

Korr’s back stiffened perceptibly and he turned away from her. “Wasn’t it the Sylvaneths that slaughtered the Talunels centuries ago, so they could control both Orders?”

“Wasn’t it the Talunels that attacked the Sylvaneths because they were afraid we were more skilled and held more favour with the King?”

There was silence for a minute.

“Do you believe what you were taught?” askd Korr at last.

“Do you?”

Again there was silence. This time longer. Liriel stubbornly avowed that she would not answer first. She had a terrible feeling that she did not know her own mind so well as she thought she did. The Talunels were a rival and brutal Order of Woodsmen and she hated them fiercely – but she could not hate Korr. They had been thrown together by the Queen’s strange request and had decided, from the start of the journey, to make the best of their situation by being friendly. They may as well accept the situation and get used to each other. Yet strangely enough, they did not even have to try. It was as if they had always known each other, and whether they wanted to or not – they enjoyed each other’s company immensely. The journey had been disturbingly pleasant, full of laughter and chummy exchanges of confidences.

At last Korr stood up and came to sit across from her, where Liriel was calmly reclined in a chair with her feet up on a table.

“Well I don’t want to talk about the Orders,” he said. “You’re pretty decent for a Sylvaneth and I for one am glad… or that would have been one awkward trip wouldn’t you say?” Korr was unwilling as always to put himself in a bad humour over anything.

Liriel put her feet down and looked at him. How could he be so easy about this whole affair when she was so anxious? She replied as quickly as she could. “Of course! I suppose you are a tolerable Talunel.”

“Ouch! As always!” responded Korr, guffawing happily.

He hit her.

She hit him back.

Both grinned.

“Well,” said Liriel swiftly changing the dangerous topic, “Whether or not I have to be saddled with your cumbersome presence, I wouldn’t pass up the compliment of this job for the whole world!”

“Compliment?” Korr was perplexed.

“That we’ve been chosen to protect the Queen!” She had tried to feign a professional indifference, but she was simply too pleased. “That we’re considered the finest Woodsmen of both Orders! Isn’t that the greatest reward you’ve ever been offered for service?”

“Nah we’re not the finest.”

“Well we were chosen weren’t we?”

“I don’t really think we’re the finest, girl.” Korr yawned again and scratched his head. “We’re probably just the most loyal.”

“Are you serious?”

“Well I don’t know about you, but I can certainly think of at least a dozen Woodsmen in my Order that are better than me – Can’t you?”

Liriel thought about it and Korr continued.

“I’ve seen you in battle. You love this Woodsman business. This may have been one long journey, but I think you would do it all again if you could. You’re utterly and completely passionate about it.”

“I suppose I can think of quite a few Sylvaneths that are more qualified for this job than I…” admitted Liriel grudgingly. It cost her something to say it, for the privilege of this assignment had fairly filled her cup of happiness. It hurt her to diminish the excitement or the glory of it in any way. But there was one consolation. “But I’m passionate… am I?” She grinned. She rather liked the idea.

“Yes.” Korr, lazily stretched out and placed his feet up on the table across from hers. He closed his eyes sleepily. “And so am I. So that’s why we were chosen.”

“You! Passionate!” hooted Liriel.

Korr opened one eye. “Are you laughing at me young lady?”

“Passionate… ha ha.” It was absolutely hilarious.

“I’m not passionate?!” Korr was indignant now.

“You are anything but passionate!” Liriel laughed. Korr could never be serious.

She was startled as his feet suddenly dropped back down on the ground with a resonating thump. Korr stood up and walked over to her side of the table.

“Are you heading off to bed then?” she asked, stifling a yawn. She stretched out one long leg on the table and pried the boot loose from her foot, preparing for her long-awaited sleep.

“Not passionate….” Repeated Korr, still indignantly. The tall young man came closer and knelt before her. His face was less than two inches from hers. Liriel looked up, transfixed. His merry brown eyes burned into hers and his voice was suddenly low and thick. “And what would you know of that, Liriel? If circumstances were different I’d…I’d…”

Liriel gasped. She could not tear her eyes from his face. She had never seen this Korr before. His casual good-natured smile was gone and some powerful emotion gripped his features. She had never seen passion in him before but in this split second it almost seemed like -

Liriel dropped her boot. She must be mad.

The spell was broken. Korr stood up suddenly and began to stumble back towards the door.

“It’s late,” he said.

“We have to get up early,” agreed Liriel eagerly.

“The Elders are probably wondering where I am,” added Korr equally eagerly, backing out the door.

“I think the Sylvaneths are waiting for me actually,” added Liriel, even more eagerly.

“See you in the morning then!” he said rapidly.

“Yes goodnight then!”

Korr stepped out of her room and closed the door behind him quickly.

The tension in the air, rose another degree. It had been rising throughout the entire journey. Liriel scowled at nothing in particular.


* * * * * * * * * *
Queen Velezir was a scholar, a sorceress and a warrior. In short she was everything a Queen should be. She was a Goddess among men, and she had been Liriel’s inspiration ever since she could remember. In some secret corner of her heart, Liriel knew that part of her reason for training with the Order of Sylvaneth was to foster the hope that some day she would have the opportunity to serve at the side of this legendary Queen.

With barely suppressed excitement, Liriel rode alongside Korr the next morning, chatting happily. Poor Korr was finally driven to cut in.

“What the devil did you eat this morning? Can’t a poor man ride in peace?”

“No,” she replied cheerfully.

“I thought not.”

Liriel continued to prattle on blithely and Korr was finally saved when they reached the gates of the fortress. From deep inside, Queen Velezir ruled the Orders of Talunel and Sylvaneth. Liriel trailed off in the middle of a sentence and simply gazed ahead, dreamily. Korr watched her in amusement. She was, after all, a very young Sylvaneth.

When the smile drained from her face and her head swung about sharply, Korr sat up in surprise.

“What’s that?” she said.

“What’s what?” Korr was confused.

“That sound! Something is not right in that fortress.”

“I don’t hear anything!”

“Oh come on, where are your fine Woodsman senses, Korr?” She said agitatedly. “Listen! Oh what’s happening?”

“Honestly girl, there’s nothing…”

The massive dark oak doors of the fortress stood wide open. A faint and regular rhythm could be heard approaching steadily, growing louder and louder. It was the chilling sound of several marching heavy feet.

Liriel looked at Korr in alarm and drew her glaive swiftly.

“Pedrinar!”

A handful of broad-shouldered blue skinned men spilled out into the courtyard before them. Their blank, glittering diamond eyes sent a familiar shiver down Liriel’s spine. They had fought off many of these beings on their long journey. Sometimes only just escaping with their lives. They were a powerful race and there were many reasons they felt humans to be their inferiors. The eerie, wailing, Pedrinar war cry filled the air. The warriors banged their shields and charged towards the two Woodsmen with their weapons drawn.

Korr swore and drew his sword. “They must’ve taken the castle. Get ready!”

“Oh I’m ready.”

Liriel and Korr rode forward and met the Pedrinar with clash upon clash of sonorous metal. They had a slight advantage being mounted, but the Pedrinar were not foolish and while two of the warriors parried Korr’s sword and fended off Liriel’s glaive, two of them slew their horses. Liriel had seen the technique before and was fully prepared. She rolled off her horse and was on her feet and fighting before the Pedrinar could land another blow. For what seemed an eternity, she fought madly and within an inch of her life. Korr’s furious cries, as he fought beside her, betrayed the same desperation.

At last, Liriel skewered one warrior on her glaive and wrenched it free. Korr swept in with his sword and killed another. The remaining two Pedrinar faltered momentarily in surprise. Seizing that moment of opportunity, the two Woodsmen charged forward in a sudden frenzy and soon enough, they were the only two left standing.

Liriel panted as she beheld the dead Pedrinar littered about the courtyard.

“You ok?” asked Korr, also breathing heavily.

“Not a scratch.”

“Me neither.”

Though they were still struggling to catch their breaths, they grinned at one another.

“See we’re the finest Woodsmen.”

“Damn straight,” replied Korr.

Looking down, Liriel shivered as she looked into the empty diamond eyes of the dead Pedrinar. No matter how many she saw it, she could not get used to watching the glitter fade when they died. It was almost as if the diamonds turned to stone.


* * * * * * * * * *

Though they had expected the worse, it seemed they had interrupted the raid early enough to avoid too much casualty. The denizens of the fortress were shaken, but unharmed. It seemed the Pedrinar had been in the process of selecting which captives they would take with them when Liriel and Korr and interrupted. Generally raiding parties were small as the Pedrinar were formidable warriors, so there were no remaining enemies within the castle.

They found Queen Velezir in the council room. Her face betrayed signs of having been badly beaten. She stood at the window, facing away from everyone, her back rigid and her arms crossed tightly in front of her. Liriel was finally standing within a feet few feet of the woman she had admired from afar, her whole life. It was a curious feeling. She was elated and light-headed, yet they had just entered a raided fortress. Needless to say, Liriel was at a loss for words.

“Are you all right, Your Majesty?” Korr asked uneasily.

The Queen turned around and examined both of them intently. She was a tall woman. Taller even than the giant Korr. A silver hair net secured a wealth of rich auburn waves. She stood proud and straight, and a dark red velvet gown clung to her thin form. Her eyes were wide, clear and grey. She had a fine aristocratic nose and a small red mouth with an appealing dip on her upper lip. She bore the farseeing expression of one who had to look at life from miles away in order to gain the perspective she needed.

The Queen’s face was a surprise to Liriel for it was almost like looking in a mirror. Except for her amazonian height and her refined appearance, she could have passed as her sister.

“Ah you would be the Rangers I sent for?” said the Queen at last.

“Yes your Majesty.” Both Korr and Liriel knelt down.

“No need for that. It would seem that you have come to our rescue and have accomplished it most skillfully. I will not forget this service.”

“It was our pleasure your Majesty.” Korr continued to the answer for both of them as Liriel remained speechless. “What happened here?”

“We were surprised by an attack,” answered the Queen shortly. Her lips were compressed in a thin line and clearly stated that she had said all she would say.

Liriel and Korr were taken aback. Then again, perhaps the Queen just needed some time to recover from the raid. From the bruises and cuts on her face it seemed that she had suffered more than any of her subjects. There was something odd about the state of this fortress but Liriel could not put her finger on it yet.

“You are Sylvaneth are you not?” said the Queen abruptly turning to Liriel.

“Yes your Majesty.”

“Ah yes. The glaive has always been a favourite of the Sylvaneths. Then that would make you the Talunel, young man?”

“Yes your Majesty,” responded Korr.

“Your Orders of Sylvaneth and Talunel protect my country. I don’t know the source of this ancient rivalry between you - nor do I care. That is precisely why I have sent for both of you. I am aware that one Woodsman would be enough to serve as my bodyguard but it is my hope that with the two of you in my close service, it will be an example for the rest of your Orders. I am sick and tired of my own armies fighting each other instead of the enemy.”

Liriel felt anger flare in her chest. Work with the Talunels! She would sooner take an order to kill them. Yet she grudgingly admitted that the Queen’s goal for the greater good. Oh but how was she to reconcile herself to this mission? Liriel’s dreams of glory crumbled unhappily about her. Korr had been right after all. They had been chosen for their loyalty and they were little more than diplomats now.

“What are our instructions then, your Majesty?” asked Korr gravely.

“Take me to your Elders, now.”

“Yes your Majesty.”

“Oh and him too.”

Liriel looked over in surprise. She had not known there was anyone else in the room. A slim gentleman in brown robes sitting in the corner got to his feet and ambled over. His hair was thin and rather long and his face was hollow with a jutting chin.

“We will leave immediately,” said the Queen firmly.


* * * * * * * * * * *


Liriel stared moodily into her drink. Beside her, Korr was absorbed in conversation with the quiet gentleman they had brought back to the inn with the Queen. Only now he was not so quiet. His eyes had lit up at the sight of ale. After one glass he had become amiable. Now after two, he was decidedly chatty. He rambled on and on about this morning’s attack. It turned out, he was the Queen’s chief Advisor.

Suddenly Liriel realized what hadn’t seemed right.

“Korr!”

“Hmm?!” Korr looked up startled at the sudden interruption. The Advisor didn’t notice and continued to ramble on.

“How did the Pedrinar get in the castle?”

“Are you nuts girl?” Korr stared at her.

“How did they get in? I didn’t see any guards or any of their bodies!”

Korr opened his mouth to object and then closed it again. It was true. There had been no bodies.

“Eh what’s this?” The long-haired gentleman took another gulp of his third glass.

“Sir, how did the Pedrinar get into the fortress?”

“Pfft! Nothing so easy when you’re rolling around with the Queen ‘erself eh?” He winked and cackled salaciously.

“WHAT?” Liriel gazed at the Advisor in horror.

“Everyone knows! The Queen has been dallying with the General of the Pedrinar armies for months! Everyone saw it coming too. She couldn’t hide it. The two of ‘em were nuts about each other and I guess she just gave into temptation. Who wouldn’t? We all need a little fun in these miserable times. He he!” The Advisor dissolved in another crude cackle.

“You’re lying!” Liriel was livid. “The Queen is a good woman!”

“Wrong Missy. You saw no bodies. There were none. The Pedrinaran General has visited the fortress many times for ‘negotiations’ with the Queen. He knows all the guards and he knows our weaknesses! Guess ‘e didn’t like the Queen so much as she thought he did, eh! He he! Especially seeing as he managed to lure all the guards into the cellar to lock ‘em up before the raid.”

Liriel sprang to her feet and dashed from the room. The last of her visions of glory were dust.

* * * * * * * * * * *

“We came all this way,” said Korr bitterly to Liriel. He was sitting at the little table in her room. He was too angry to put his feet up this time.

“How many of our friends died less than a month into the journey?” added Liriel, standing by the window and scowling out into the streets.

“We risked out lives to get here…”

“…Only to find that the Queen was weak enough to expose us to the enemy.”

“Didn’t even put up a fight!”

They both fell silent.

“Think,” said Korr, “Of all that we sacrificed.”

Liriel sighed. “We didn’t really sacrifice that much. It’s our job anyways. More importantly – What are we going to do now? Should we tell anyone?”

“We sacrificed a lot, girl. No I don’t think we should tell anyone. We’d do best to just go on being her bodyguards, like she asked us to. That would help this war the most, wouldn’t you say?”

He was right and Liriel seethed inwardly. She was bitter that they had been betrayed and furious that she could do nothing about it but go on taking orders from the traitor. She had to pick a fight over something - she had decidedly found her ‘something’.

What sacrifice. Stop talking about sacrifice. We sacrificed nothing. This is our job. We work for the country, not for her,” she said peevishly.

“You said it yourself. Think of all the friends we lost in the beginning, trying to get here.”

“At least they never had to find out about this.”

“And think of all these months we could have been fighting on the frontlines.”

“I’ll take a special mission any day.” Still she was unwilling to budge.

“And think of us.”

“What about us?” Liriel turned around and frowned.

“Why have we been so good, when she gave in to temptation and fooled around with people she shouldn’t?”

Korr was hitting dangerously close to the mark. In one simple statement he had gotten to the root of everything that stung Liriel about the Queen’s betrayal. He had just said - out loud - something that she had never dared to admit except in her deepest, darkest most secret thoughts. It was something she had tried for months, to quench. It was something that had been increasingly difficult to ignore.

“How have we been ‘good’, Korr? Stop being so mysterious. Spit it out,” she said angrily.

Korr got to his feet, swept the table aside with one blow of his hand and sent it clattering across the room. It was the passionate Korr again with the burning eyes and clenched jaw. Liriel’s heart turned momentarily in fear, but she had seen it once and it could not unsettle her again. She lifted her chin defiantly and waited for an answer.

“Well?” she demanded.

“I don’t know about you my dear Liriel but I’ve been oh so good,” responded Korr in that strange thick and low voice. He took three steps towards her.

“I said spit it out Korr. How have you been ‘good’ these months?” She was not afraid of him. If there had been tension these past months, it was certainly nothing compared to the electricity in the air now.

“I’ve been better than a damn saint.” Korr began advancing and his voice continued to deepen. “I’ve watched you cry when your friends were killed, and kept my arms to myself. I’ve watched you stick that little chin of yours in the air even when we knew there were too many for two of us to fight.” He was closing the distance between them and his voice dropped even lower. “I’ve listened to that pretty laugh of yours so many times when I was tired and it was all I wanted to hear. I’ve watched you smile in your sleep, even when we camped on a bed of rocks. I’ve had to ride beside you and watch a million little things about you that made me want to give you my soul – and never once say a word about it! Why it’s enough to drive an honest man crazy!”

Korr was now less than three paces away from her. Liriel was breathing heavily.

“I’ll be damned if I’m going to be good any more,” said Korr hotly.

They could be killed for what Liriel wanted to do to him at this moment – but she was going to do it anyways. So many times she had fought the urge to grab this giant friendly man and kiss him. So many times she had told herself that this was the last thing her people needed – for her to fall in love with a Talunel and start yet another bitter battle in a war-torn land.

But she had been betrayed by everything she worshipped. She hated her Queen and she hated every last bickering Talunel and Sylvaneth. They had all let her down. Why should she deny herself the one man who had never let her down?

“Well my dear friend, what do you intend to do about it…?” she breathed quietly.

“I’ll show you, dear friend. Oh I’ll show you. What are you doing so far away?”

She deliberately strode towards him but Korr had already crossed the distance. He snatched her up in his big arms, lifted her chin with one hand and kissed her long and fiercely. Liriel drowned and drowned and drowned again in the moment. The tension in the air, dissolved in that eternal moment. It was what they had yearned for all along.


* * * * * * * * * * *

Queen Velezir opened Liriel’s door and stood stock still when she beheld what was in the room. Royalty had never been taught the wisdom of knocking first – but it was clear to her that it would have made no difference if she had. The big Talunel Ranger stood shamelessly kissing the tall auburn-haired Sylvaneth girl.

The Queen smiled softly for the first time since the attack. Quietly she closed the door, leaving Liriel and Korr to themselves.

With the war, and her squabbling Rangers, there was precious little for Queen Velezir to be thankful for in these dismal times. What she had just witnessed gave her an unexpected ray of hope. Calling a Sylvaneth and a Talunel to work together in her service had been a dubious experiment. She had not expected it to work.

But this example would be the beginning of the reconciliation between the two Orders. She would see to it. Perhaps the country would even be united again, some day, before the end of her reign.
© Copyright 2005 Sephronel Mae (sephronel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/938068-In-These-Troubled-Times