*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/938661-February-SS-NL
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Diane
Rated: ASR · Other · Other · #938661
Improve your writing by reviewing others.
Welcome to this week's edition of the Short Story newsletter. Each edition of the newsletter highlights issues of concern to short story writers.

~*Flower4*~ Diane ~*Flower4*~


The Importance of Editing


When searching for a story on Writing.Com, I eagerly open those with tantalizing descriptions and titles. At times, I'm disappointed to see that the author hasn't taken the time to correct their spelling or format the story for easy reading. For most readers, encountering either a solid block of text and frequent misspellings are reason enough to skip the story and look for another. I don't skip them, instead I give a detailed review in hopes that the writer will appreciate the time taken to give feedback and incorporate the suggestions into their next story.

This is not to say that I will go line by line and correct the entire story. If I can tell that the author has made an effort to present his best to the reader, I will give detailed feedback on spelling and grammar in addition to the comments on plot and character development. If the spelling and grammatical errors are numerous, I will point out a couple of examples and tell the writer to review their work carefully for more of the same. I'm always willing to read an item over and change a rating if the author takes the time to make corrections.

Writing.Com is a place for readers and writers of all levels. I remind myself of this frequently when reading stories on the site. I'm willing to give feedback on an item if the author is willing to give their best when posting a story for public viewing. If I see that an author has a pattern of posting stories with misspelled words, easily fixed by using spell check either on the site or in a word processing program, I will skip their future stories and focus on the authors that take the time to present their best.

I've seen writers complain that correcting spelling and format drains their creative reserves. This is nonsense. When presenting a story for public consumption, common courtesy dictates that you make the story easy to read. If the reader has to stop every other line to figure out what you are trying to convey, they are likely to close the story without sending a review. Editing your story prior to posting is the best way to increase your reviews. If the reader sees that you care enough about the tale to present the best possible version, they in turn will care enough to take the time to give feedback.

Until next time,
Diane


This month I've selected a few tales of the muses inspiring your fellow writers. Enjoy, and remember to send a review to the author.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#938262 by Not Available.



 The Bear  (13+)
Civilization confronts nature; man meets an ultimate challenge
#905876 by Dylan Ginsberg



 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#758947 by Not Available.



 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#927038 by Not Available.



 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#938030 by Not Available.



Featured Contest:

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#928873 by Not Available.



The editors work hard to make sure the newsletters are informative and enjoyable and appreciate your responses.


*Note1* auterpauvre "Diane: Interesting musings about one's muse. The reason that people personify their muse is because in Greek myth, there actually were nine lesser deities that inspired different types of creative or scientific ventures. Calliope: epic song, Clio: history, Euterpe: lyric song, Thalia: comedy and bucolic poetry, Melpomene: tragedy, Terpsichore: dance, Erato: erotic poetry, Polyhymnia: sacred song, and Urania: astronomy.

Waiting for your muse to appear, or saying it has abandoned you is deadly. Better you chase it, by writing something every day."

Thanks for the history of the muse! *Delight* I'll be sure to take your advice and not give my muse time to stray. *Smile*

*Note1* Renocchi "Diane,
Thanks for the article on muses, it's good to find other people get inspiration from their dreams. I always have been inspired by dreams that i've had ever since i was little (of course, back then i didn't enjoy writing as much as i do now and so didn't note down my ideas - shame really.) I have only rarely based my stories around an actual person as i find it hard to convey their feelings accuratly. Great newsletter by the way..."

*Note1* bazilbob "I'd never thought of a muse as a person or anything you can see in real life or your imagination, but it's an intriguing idea. I don't think of having a muse as such, more just finding inspiration in surroundings and events. Thanx for opening my mind to the fact that a muse can be anything or anyone, as Ive already said, I'd never thought of it like that!"

*Note1*  JustTurtle "I never thought about having a muse before, but I suppose that is because mine is much like yours - faceless inspiration. I only wish it visited more often Thanks for another great newsletter."

*Note1*  beckyjones "Great newsletter, this issue needed to be addressed. I too think of my muse as more of a feeling than a character (though admittedly I do sometimes envisage 'him' as my perfect man), a wave of silent inspiration. However, instead of leaving me with ideas on awaking, my muse tends to inspire me whilst trying to get to sleep - which can get a tad annoying. Post-it notes next to my bed might be the way to go, thanks for the tip! "

*Note1*  demor "My muse must be quite old. He/she seems to get very tired from time to time. During those times I take a short vacation from writing and recharge my imagination. When my muse returns from wherever he/she goes, I find that it is better than ever."

*Note1*  Big Mike 2humble2bragbut... "Although I don't usually think of having a muse, I enjoyed this newsletter. It was one of the best in a while. I r&r'ed some of the picks, and am checking out the featured contests."

I'm glad you enjoyed the Newsletter. Thanks for reading and reviewing the featured stories, I know the authors appreciate you taking the time to do so. *Smile*

© Copyright 2005 Diane (sgambill72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/938661-February-SS-NL