*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/940130-Twenty-Years-Down-the-Road
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #940130
A hopeful look at my own life in 20 years.
Twenty Years Down the Road






A brief forward and dedication


This story was a Valentines day present to the woman I love. Since most of what I write for or about her borders on the erotic, I wanted to do something different. I wanted to show her my hopes and visions of our future together. She (Tina) liked it and even added her own ideas at the end. This story is personal and belongs to the two of us. I hope you enjoy it though, for what good is all the world if you can't share it. This story is dedicated to my wife to be.







Randy swore softly as he pinched his thumb in the folding leg of the display table. “You keep talking like that and I am gonna dump you”, his wife kidded. “You wouldn’t make it a week without me” he replied.

“Hah, try me. “ Hands on her hips, Tina tried her best to look serious.

“Get back to work, woman” Randy said as he slid an arm around her waist. The arm was old and wrinkled. The skin tan but loose. Randy was no spring chicken, but his eyes sparkled when he looked at his wife of twenty years. At sixty-three, he had loved her half his life. Tina laughed as a strong March breeze picked up one of the cloths Randy had just spread, and wrapped it fully around him. Peeling the wind-blown fabric from him, she kissed him.

“I surrender” he muttered. ”Let’s get up early and set-up, she says. Never mind the hurricane force winds, she says”

“OK,” laughed Tina “we can just think of the $200 as the price to camp for the weekend.”

The money she referred to was the vendor fee for the annual Rum Creek Craft show and Country Fair. Randy and Tina had been regular vendors here for years now. Their stand, when finished, would consist of several tables of hand painted, wood and glass creations. Everything from whirly-gigs to paper weights, trains sawn from pine boards to etched glass bottles would be displayed. The spring time fair was a favorite of theirs since they had honeymooned nearby two decades before. The weather was the same nearly every year, and, nearly every year, Randy fussed about the wind that channeled through the eastern Pennsylvania hills.

“For that kind of money, someone should be out here setting this up for us” groused Randy

“And if they did, you would complain that they weren’t doing it right.” Tina responded
“I can’t help it if I have high standards, you done spoiled me, wench”he said, returning her kiss and helping her secure the cloth to the table.

“Get a room, you two” yelled Helen, a friend they had met here in years past, as she and her oldest son drove by in their motor coach to find their assigned spot. “You’re just jealous” Tina called back to her. “Coffee is ready and waiting, go park so you can grab a cup”

Tina and Randy had made friends all across the country. Some they saw several times a year at the various craft shows they regularly attended. Helen and her husband, who had died three years earlier, were always good company when they came to Rum Creek.. Throughout the weekend, they would see dozens of people they knew and loved. Many nights had been spent around campfires in front of someone’s trailer or motor-coach, drinking coffee or beer or wine.

Many of their friends traveled all year long to shows and fairs. Randy and Tina however, went to about half a dozen each year. Most of their time was spent at their antique store/ crafts workshop, in the hills of Tennessee.

Tina’s daughter, by her first marriage, was running the store this weekend. It had become too successful to just close up shop a few times a year. Alyssa , twenty six an auburn haired beauty, had always been a big help at the shop, and since she would inherit the business when her folks retired, it seemed only natural that she should take on a bigger role in running things. Melissa was more than happy to see her parents, step- parent in Randy’s case, take off on their weekend adventures. It seemed to keep them young.

In spite of the wind, they had finished setting up by lunch time. The jackets they had worn to protect themselves from the early morning air were discarded as they stepped into their bus to prepare the midday meal. Tina busied herself with salad fixings as Randy took the chicken breasts that had been marinating in the refrigerator outside to the grill.

This was a beautiful place. Birch trees lined the little meadow. Rum creek ran full and fast from the snow melt in the hills, waking the mountain laurels from their winter sleep. Bobwhites sang in the massive oak in the center of the fairgrounds.

“Got enough for me?” asked Helen as she walked into the private area behind the display tables, empty coffee cup in hand.

“I see how you are,” joked Randy ”leaving that poor son of yours to do all the work as you go mooching food and coffee from your neighbors”

“He needs the exercise and you drank all my coffee last time” said Helen as she stepped into the bus to visit with Tina.

Tina had the coffee-pot in hand as Helen stepped in. “Hey girl” she said, hugging her friend after filling the empty cup.

“When are you gonna dump that old fart?” Helen kidded. “Never, but don’t tell him that. It’s the only threat I can keep him in line with “ laughed Tina.”Besides, You are just looking for an opportunity to steal him from me” “No way woman, he wouldn’t ever leave you and you would kick my butt if he did.”

“I read Randy’s last book” Helen said, looking over her shoulder to be sure Randy was not within earshot. “It was really good, but if you tell him I said so, I will deny it”

Tina laughed “Oh be nice, he lives for compliments. Some times I think he would rather have someone tell him they liked his work than give him money for it”

“So you are telling me he would trade a handful of compliments for this nice bus you two drive around the country? If that is the case, I will trade” Helen teased. “I’ll take the bus and praise him til he turns red with embarrassment”

“To late” countered Tina “Once his work turns into money, you have to deal with me”

“Not fair” Helen mock pouted “ You have this nice bus, a husband who treats you as if you were his personal angel, just flown in from heaven, and successful kids who live in the most beautiful parts of the country. What have I got?”

“Oh, let’s see. Thirty years with a great man, a son who is an accomplished artist, not to mention a seven figure bank account. You could sell that old bread-box on wheels and buy a nice coach. You are just too cheap”

“No” Helen laughed “Just too old and fat to find a new man to buy it for me.”

‘Your hopeless” Tina said to her friend as she leaned out of the bus to see if Randy wanted coffee.

“Is Tom coming over to eat?” Randy asked in reference to Helen’s twenty- five year old son.

“No,” Helen replied “he has a date tonight”

“A date? “asked Tina. “I thought you guys just got into town?”

“Tom met her here last year. She is a local. They went out once and have been talking online ever since” Tina smiled at this, thinking back to how she and Randy had met in a chat room over twenty years before.

“Make sure you tell him to watch out for those online women” Randy said as he entered the coach with a platter overflowing with grilled chicken breasts and zucchini. “We can’t all be as lucky as I was” he continued, stopping to kiss Tina’s cheek.

“That’s right, you stalked Tina online before you blackmailed her into marrying you” Helen said with a smirk.

“The stalking was mutual” Tina said, setting a large bowl of salad on the table.

Outside, the fair workers were busy running the temporary power lines and lights for the vendors. The weekend officially kicked off on the last Friday in March. Other vendors were busy finishing up their displays.

Randy and Tina walked, hand in hand through the myriad booths, saying “Hi” to old friends and browsing their wares. It would be a couple of hours yet before the show was opened to the public. Since they had set up early, they enjoyed the free time together.

Tina’s cell phone rang as they walked. “Hello” she answered.

“Hey Ma, It’s Phillip, is my dad handy?” asked the masculine voice on the other end.

“He’s right here, how is my grandbaby doing?” she inquired.

“Brianna is doing great, Brook and I can’t wait til you guys come out and see her again.”

“We will be there in a month, honey. Tell that little girl she had better hold off on those first steps until we get there.”

“You may need to hurry then, she is already pulling herself up on the furniture.” Phillip told her.

“Love you honey, here is your dad”

“Love you Ma”

Tina handed the phone to Randy. Between the two of them, they had five children in all. She had two from her first marriage. Alyssa, the youngest, who was running the shop for them right now, and Drew, who was keeping very busy teaching, and helping his wife, Casey, raise their twin boys; Jack and Arthur. Randy had three boys. Anthony was the oldest at thirty nine. Married once and divorced, no kids, he was busy with his music career in Phoenix. Phillip, the middle boy was just starting to move up the corporate ladder out in San Diego. Dillon, Randy’s youngest was just getting his masters degree and was already busy with a home based architectural business.

Tina daydreamed a bit about the life she and Randy had together. They had met late in life, both in their forties and in the midst of divorces. But there was no question that they were destined for each other. Friends would tease them about being so perfect together. Tina just smiled as she reminisced. Together they had built a thriving craft and antique business. Randy also wrote some and published a few novels. He may be no Stephen King, but the royalty checks certainly didn’t hurt.

Tina threw herself into the creative aspects of their business. She was talented at painting and creating crafts that were always big sellers. She also discovered she had a good eye for antiques. They expanded to include antique furniture at their little shop and online about ten years back..

Alyssa was always a huge asset at the shop and had many of her mother’s talents. Very pretty and very bright, she was also a little reclusive. She had a few dates through high school and community college, but never got to serious. Any man that could win her heart would have quite the prize. Fair compensation since he would have to get past Randy as well as Alyssa’s four older brothers to even have a chance.

Randy told Phillip goodby and handed the cell back to Tina.

“They got the new house” Randy informed Tina.

“Brook got the job?” Tina asked, a concerned look on her face.

“Nope, Phillip got the lead position at the plant. They can swing it on just his salary.” Randy replied.

“That is so great. Baby” she bubbled. “I was really worried about her having to go to work with the new baby. It’s not like they live down the street. I can’t just watch Brianna anytime for them.

“Well, we will get to see her again in a month. Casey called her and said that she and Drew and the boys would be able to come out for a week or two while we are there. Dillon will be coming too as soon as the semester is over. “

Tina was excited for a moment, but a frown shadowed her features. “What’s wrong?” Randy asked her. “Too bad Alyssa and Anthony can’t b there too.” she said.

Oh, I didn’t tell you? Anthony made an arrangement with his agent to get his band booked in San Diego and I arranged with a management service to run the website for a while. We need to close the shop for a few weeks anyway to renovate it. So, Alyssa will be their too.”

“Best twentieth anniversary present I could come up with for you Baby. I hope it will do. Tina beamed as they walked in silence through the grounds, her head resting on Randy’s shoulder.


Now for the rest of the story . . .

“Hey, any more coffee?” said Helen as she stuck her head in the door of the travel trailer.

“No coffee but I just made a pot of Earl Grey” Tina said as she busied herself finishing up a fruit salad for the luau tonight.
“Spoiling Randy again? Got any cream?” asked Helen.

“You know it . . . the only way my baby likes it! Hey, did you get the lea’s done for the party tonight?” said Tina.

“Yep . . . those flower petals you got free from Wal-Mart turned out to be the trick for the lea’s” said Helen.

The party was to be hosted by the Evans’ . It was a luau theme. When Randy and Tina threw a party, everyone wanted to be there.

“The grass skirts I picked up are in the closet by the bedroom. I got one for you too!” said Tina.

“I need to have two sewn together” said Helen laughing! “OH please!” said Tina.

About that time Randy stepped through the door and kissed his wife on the cheek. “Baby you didn’t forget to leave out the pineapple did you?” said Randy.

“No honey....I’ve been married to you long enough to know your likes and dislikes” said Tina.

Randy poured himself some tea and scampered out to leave the women alone.

“Do you think he has a clue?” asked Helen.

“Nope....he thinks its just a regular party. And it will be for the most part.” said Tina.

“So how are the kids?” asked Helen.

“Great and we will all be together soon. We are meeting at Phillip’s . All my children and grandchildren at the same time...I can’t wait to get to hold all my babies!” said Tina.

“I’ll be lucky to ever get to see any of my grandchildren. If my son doesn’t get married soon....and give me grand babies I’ll die. Ok girl..I’m going to go finish things before the party tonight” said Helen.

The smell of Hawaiian cuisine filtered through the air....making one expect to hear the surf hitting the rocks at any time. Tina took an envelope from her purse and slid it down in her skirt. Would Randy be surprised? She hoped that she could pull this off. The sound of music and the winds blowing....Couldn’t be more like Hawaii. It was unseasonably warm tonight. Great outdoor party weather and not a cloud in sight.

Tina stepped from the trailer with a beautiful display of fruit for the buffet. Randy stared at her with a smile on his face. She smiled that sheepish smile back and bit her bottom lip. Ah! The signal..he knew what she was thinking. They would have a very good evening. The years had been kind to them..neither looked their age. When they were alone they laughed and romped like high school kids in heat. Their love was something greater than words. This would be the night that she would give him a gift he had so longed for.

The party was in full swing and Randy grabbed his wife and spun her around and gave her a big kiss. He whispered in her ear. “I love you baby, great party!”

She looked up at him and said “I love you more, mostest, foreverest.”

“Not fair” said Randy.

She reached and pulled the envelope from her skirt. “You can’t open this til everyone is gone” she said almost breathless from the passionate kiss she had just received from her husband.

She still gets the butterflies in her stomach every time. “What is it, divorce papers?” laughed Randy.

“No... just wait” she said.

Randy was great at waiting and being patient. He had waited three years for her and never regretted it. She was more anxious for him to open it than he was. Randy loved surprises and he loved not spoiling them even more. He would not open it until the last person left.

Couples waddled back to their campers and trailers. Their tummies fuller than normal. Helen and Tina were cleaning up. Randy was by the fire telling stories of his circus days to Tom. Just as Tina was bringing in the last empty tray and waved to Helen and her son as they left...Randy had slid his finger into the envelope.

“Ah can’t wait any longer?” asked Tina.

The surprise had taken years of saving money from the sweet shop she had added to their crafts display. Homemade candies, pies and even diabetic sweets too. Randy had thought this was her mad money. When she wanted to go out and spend money frivolously. Not a chance. Tina knew in her heart that she was saving for this special day....their 20th anniversary!

Randy opened the envelope. His mouth dropped as he was in shock.

“Happy Anniversary Baby”

“Twenty-one day cruise to Hawaii! WOW! I love you baby!” said Randy.

“I love you too baby!”

Randy put his arms around his wife and kissed her with a passion that still made her blush. She bit her lip...OH! There went the signal. Randy stood up and took his wife by the hand and led her to their cozy love nest on wheels. They would make love as they had many, many times before but always like it was the first time.

THE END


© Copyright 2005 Evan Boyd (rbe63 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/940130-Twenty-Years-Down-the-Road