*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/941354-Freezing
by Tehanu
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #941354
Ian affects his surroundings with the power to freeze what he touches
Daily Flash Fiction Prompt: Write a story titled "Freezing"


Drops of ice made the tree seem as though it were draped in jewels. Cascades of frozen water held down branches and at the tree’s base was a surprising glittering trunk.

It was a warm sunny day and Ian was delighted. From his house, he could see the frozen tree surrounded by the green grass of summer. All the other trees in the orchard were at the height of their bloom. Everything else was alive. Birds flew about and chirped gaily. Bees buzzed, gathering pollen. Squirrels stuffed themselves with nuts and stolen seeds. But the insects and animals avoided the odd frozen tree, unmoving in the light breeze that made the other apple trees dance and sway. The frozen tree had not melted in the hot sun.

Ian did not care that the tree’s crop was ruined. He was actually gleeful about the tree’s state – because Ian himself had put the tree in its current condition. He had woken up that morning, feeling different. Around his hands had gathered a light, perpetual mist. After touching the bathroom faucet's running water and freezing it to ice, Ian had realized his ability.

The young man felt that the powers were far overdue. An avid reader of comic books, he had longed to become a superhero – or supervillian. He craved power and importance. And he had proven this morning that he could freeze an entire tree.

Ian now dreamed of turning his house into an ice castle, and freezing everyone he disliked, including his science teacher. He would be the hero of the fire department. He could control global warming!

He mused deeply about the possibilities and unknowingly made his powers grow – until he had frozen everything around him. Later, when the police arrived, they found an amazing ice replica of a teenage boy.

301 words
© Copyright 2005 Tehanu (tehanu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/941354-Freezing