*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/942718-Time-Alone
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Relationship · #942718
This short is about a married couple making time for romance.
Eva was on her way home from work when she decided that she would cook her and Ray, her husband, a romantic dinner. While at work, she found herself daydreaming about Ray. They had been married for two years, and she still felt like they were newlyweds. Their love was strong, but with both of them working full time and raising two kids, it was hard to find a private moment before exhaustion forced them to sleep.

Earlier in the day, Eva had called her older sister May to see if she could keep their kids, Trina and Ray Jr. "Hello", May answered the phone. "Hey, May, this is Eva, what you up to"? "Girl, nothing, just glad it's Friday and I don't have to work tonight". "You don't have to work tonight", Eva asked excitedly? "Nope, been chilling all day and gone continue to chill." "Is that right", Eva stated slyly. "Ah, yeahhhhh, that's what I said, I'm gone continue chilling", May said with suspicion in her voice. "Hummmm, do you feel like continuing your chilling session with company", Eva asked hopefully. "Who", the suspence was still in May's voice? "Your favorite neice and nephew, that's who", Eva said smiling. She knew May would not be able to resist spending time with her children. They were cut from the same silly cloth that Eva came from. They were hilarious to be around. Their grandmother had commented often about who needs television when I can watch them all day and get more entertainment.

It was agreed that Eva would drop Trina and Ray Jr. off after she picked them up from their after school program. Looking at the clock on the dashboard, she decided that she'd stop at the grocery store before picking the kids up. She had already decided what she was preparing for dinner and would stop and get fast food for the kids on the way over to May's. Thankfully the grocery store didn't look crowded. As she pulled into the parking space, the song on the radio made her want to go into morph speed and already be at home waiting for Ray to get home from work. As she finished listening to "Let's Get it On" by Marvin Gaye she closed her eyes and could barely remember when her and Ray had really gotten it on. The weekend ahead would solve that.

Eva looked at her watch and realized she had about fifteen minutes to do her shopping before it was time to pick up the kids. Hurrying down the aisles of the store she selected her purchases. Ray loved her fried chicken wings and spaghetti so that was definitely on the menu. A salad and bottle of wine would top the meal off. As she thought about dessert, she decided that they would be each other's dessert for the evening. Eva floated to the shortest checkout line and paid for her items.

Pulling up to the her kids' school she still had two minutes before they were scheduled to come out the door. She could already imagine the excitement when she revealed to them that they were staying over Aunt May's house this weekend. Their Grammy, as they called Eva's mom, would certainly be on hand to spoil them. Eva kept her eye on the door and as the after school program children filed out the door she looked for hers. Spotting them, she got out of the car to greet them. As they spotted her, they began to run. "Mommy", she heard Trina scream! The children ran up to her and almost knocked her down. "Hey, smunchkins", she said, hugging them. "Hurry up, get in the car, you're going over May's house for the weekend", she said opening up the back door for them.

Pulling up to the drive thru, she ordered two value meals for the children. Letting them out at May's house, she gave them instructions on minding their manners. "Ya'll better not be hardheaded and don't be worrying Grammy about buying ya'll nothing either", she warned them. She already knew that the latter would occur regardless. May waved out the door. "Thanks May, I really appreciate this", "I know you love spending time with your neices and nephews, I'll work on getting you a few more", Eva grinned as she drove off.

Eva's house was only ten minutes away from May's. She'd be home in no time. Turning the key in the door as she struggled to balance the bags, she could hear the answering machine beeping. Someone had just left a message.


(NOT FINISHED YET)
© Copyright 2005 thewryter (eyewrite at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/942718-Time-Alone