*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/944511-The-Handwriting-on-the-Harbormasters-Wall
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #944511
Felipe was at the boat before dawn as he was every morning except Sunday.
The Handwriting Upon The Harbor Master’s Wall

Chapter One

Felipe was at the boat before dawn as he was every morning except Sunday. He always checked the nets and gear about the little fishing vessel, even though hours before he had given it a close last look. Before going home to his young wife and two little ones, he always made sure that everything was in its place. He would wave good evening to the Harbor Master and make his way through the little village. When he arrived home, tired but satisfied with the knowledge that his was a good and noble hard work, he would be rewarded with hugs and kisses from the little ones, good supper and, more often than not, tender love with Rosa, his lovely young wife. Now, as the sky became pale pink, he greeted Miguel, stepping from the dock into the old boat.

Felipe had taken Miguel on as “first mate”, actually the only other crew a couple of years back to help him with his fishing business. The fertile fishing banks along the coast of Ecuador supplied their families with food and good income. Miguel was a hard worker but never had much to say. He liked to sing songs of romance as he worked. Most days they brought a bountiful catch to market to sell to locals and to the exporters who froze the best of the catch for quick delivery to places far away. The fishing was steady and the market friendly for as long as Felipe could remember. He had taken over the old boat from his father two years before and had been first mate before that.

The aged diesel engine coughed to life as Miguel threw off the last of the lines. Felipe threw the wheel over hard as the propeller churned the oily black water of the little harbor. Away from the dock and picking their way through the rest of the fishing fleet of the little village they were the first out. They always were first. The gentle sea swells lifted their spirits as the little boat chugged slowly away from the harbor mouth. Other boats were beginning to move and Felipe could see the red and green bow lights moving out into the harbor as he turned down the coast for the richest of fishing grounds.

He could not help but hum to himself while minding the helm, listening to Miguel singing as usual. It was a good life. Crossing himself, he finished a silent little prayer of gratitude and turned to the day’s labor. He and Miguel carefully played out nets on the booms and trailed net and float astern of the vessel and in turn pulled the first of several good catches from the sea. Several good Tuna and Dorado made up this haul along with several other species they would market this night. Some of the unwanted fish and crabs were tossed back to the sea, much to the pleasure of the ever-present gulls.

The sun would be low in the west when they returned hours later with their hold full of the days catch. There was docking, unloading, cleaning and stowing the lines, nets and gear, securing the boat for the night, all before Felipe would walk the short way through the village streets, happily home once more. And so it was every day broken only by Sundays with mass, visiting with his and Rosa’s parents and other family. Yes it was a hard but a good life.



Chapter two

In time, the fishing became so prosperous that Felipe bought a newer boat and hired more crew. Miguel became captain of the old boat with a young and energetic crew and Felipe took to training the new crew of the Rosa II. The Rosa II was a much bigger boat and could hold many more fish each day. She had bigger fishing booms and nets and took six young fishermen to crew her. The good markets, hungry for food to feed the North Americans in their fine restaurants, supplied good money to pay the crew very good wages and to make the payment on the Rosa II. He was also able to have much needed overhaul work done to the old boat and bought a new more powerful motor so Miguel could still get to the fishing banks along with Felipe. Felipe missed his old friends songs though, but he was content to hum and say his prayers. The fishing was always good and the gentle seas friendly.

After several years though, Felipe was noticing that not only were there more boats plying these same waters but also that big ships were coming in from far off places in Asia. These commercial fishing vessels were big fish factories that took fish straight from a fleet of boats that accompanied them and processed the fish at once. The fish were frozen in huge holds and kept until the holds were full. These large commercial ships would return to far off ports to sell their catch for large profits. Felipe did not care so much as, even though he could not make such big profits, his was a hard but good and honorable life and he was grateful.

Finally one evening after returning and unloading the days catch, Felipe was visiting with several other boat captains and Miguel. They were confirming his suspicions of late. The fish were fewer and smaller. Each day they were traveling further and further south and out to sea to find good catches. He had seen this but had been pushing it from his mind. He preferred to believe that better fishing would return in the spring but it did not. A man came down the pier and called to them. They gave him warm greeting, while curious as to his wants. Nobody ventured down to these docks save fishermen and their families. As it turned out the man was from the Ministry of Fishing. The captains didn’t know there was such a ministry, but listened politely. After he finished and left, the group shook their heads in dismay and grumbled as they headed off for their little homes in the little village.

Felipe recounted what the ministry official had said. It seemed that there was new regulation meant to control the out of control abuse of the fishing banks. Each boat and captain must be licensed and now there would be a limit on the number of certain fishes that could be taken from these waters each month. When that limit was reached, no further fish could be taken until the first of the month. The official assured them that the big commercial fishing vessels of course were subject to the same regulations. This was all necessary because the fish were becoming scarce and the fertile fishing banks were being fished out. Ministry officials would inspect the boats and their hauls from time to time to make certain regulations were being followed. When he got home, there were kisses and hugs from the little ones. Not so little though, as they were getting older and would soon be looking into the university. Felipe had resolved long ago that he would put enough money aside to send his beloved children to the university in the capital several hours away. He wanted them to have a good life and not have to work as he did, but to be smart and do great things. He worried that he would be able to fulfill that dream. Rosa took him to bed that night as usual and wanted him. Felipe tried to keep his mind from the fishing and the minister and from the big commercial fishing craft but even his lovely wife could not hold his attention. He was worried. He confessed to Rosa his fears. The fish were scarce and much farther out. The prices were down as the result of the big fishing ships. The big ships were able to sell such big number of fish at cheaper prices. Demand for the fine Dorado had never been so low. “Now the government is placing limits on the number of fish we can catch and regulating our boats and crew.” “To make matters even worse,” he muttered, “the crew men I can hire today are lazy and take no pride in their work.” He had found, as had all of the old time boat captains that with so many new boats, he had to pay wages he could hardly afford. That would be okay, but the crew today wanted to work only so hard and rarely did a good job of cleaning up at the end of the day. He could count on one or two not showing up frequently and almost always was short crewed on Friday and Saturday. On Mondays the young ones were surly and hung over. They complained of being sick. Rosa loved Felipe and worried about him. It had been such a good life.

Chapter Three

Felipe was at the boat, before dawn, as he was every morning. As he checked the nets and the lines he was more disheartened than ever. He had issued stern instruction to the crew chief regarding repair and stowage of the equipment. Once again, the nets had un-mended holes in them and several lines were so worn, they would break before the day spilling the meager catch back into the sea. The crew chief finally arrived with most of the crew as other boats were chugging out to sea. Felipe was furious. His boat was going to be nearly last today. The crew was arriving later and later. The boat chief always made good sounding excuses but things really did not improve. Felipe could tell that Miguel was having no better luck with the crew of the little boat. The weary boat captain decided it was time to have a meeting that night when they returned.

The Rosa II slowly churned her way back to port. It was harder now, because they traveled farther and often times were in rougher seas. The fish were harder to find. The hold was only half full of fish and not many of them the favorite Tunas and Dorados. The crew sat and lay around the deck, some sleeping and some playing a game. No one sang though and Felipe missed Miguel more than ever.

He roused the crew and expressed his concerns and his doubts. The fish were fewer, the regulations overwhelming and the work was not getting done. Now was a time to be more efficient, not a good time for goofing off. Several of the crew assured Felipe that he didn’t know what it was like. All he had to do was to stay in his wheelhouse all day and drive the boat. He just didn’t understand the hard work and terrible hours his crew put in. They said that the crew chief talked bad about Felipe when he was not around. They were not appreciated and the pay was not good enough. And what’s more the equipment is old and needs replaced. “We are always having something breaking down and then have to wait to have it fixed.” “We can’t unload our fish at the dock sometimes for hours and by then several crew have left of necessity.” “They have lives, you know.” “We need to have a paid holiday from time to time.”

As they neared the dock, Felipe could see the official from the Ministry of Fishing, standing nearby. They threw him a line so that he could tie the bow to the pier, but he shook his head, saying, “I am a ministry official and by regulation if I help you, the other boat owners might complain that I am showing favoritism to you,” Once the lines were secured, Felipe jumped to the dock and was at once confronted. “The limit for fishes has been reached this month. You will catch no more Tuna or Dorado until the first of the month, which is ten days from now. Further you must be inspected before you sail again as your license is expired.” “ I can tell you now that you have much work to do in order to pass for your license renewal. Your nets are torn and the lines are worn. This vessel is not clean enough or safe enough for us to certify for the safety of your crew.” He gave Felipe a stern look. “You have until the first. Farewell until then.”

Several of the crew were near enough to hear. “What will we do now? We told you that the boat is in bad repair and that the nets were torn.” Now we are stuck and will have no pay until the first.” Felipe responded, “We have much work to do between now and the first. We will work long hours and mend the nets and replace the lines. We should paint the outside of the boat as well.” One crew said, “I am a fisherman, not a painter. I was not raised as a fisherman only to clean the decks and paint.” “ I will repair the nets and lines but painting is for you to hire.” In small groups the crew departed down the pier toward the village. One or two stayed and they unloaded the small catch for market and then left also. Felipe walked slowly and heavily home to Rosa that night.

Chapter Four

When Felipe arrived back at the boat hours later, his mood was solemn and he was deep in thought. Miguel was already there at the old boat and appeared much the same. Since there was a regulation that they could take no fish, they would be in port for the next week and one half. They had never been in port except on Sunday, but set about making repairs and cleaning the old boat and Rosa II. By ten in the morning it was evident that only a few of the crew would be there to help and the several that had shown up were griping and working very slowly. A couple appeared to be already drinking the local rum. Finally Felipe threw down his net mending and walked across the pier to where Miguel was painting the small boat. “Miguel old friend, I have thought about this for some time and I have a plan. It is time to be resolute of choice and firm in action.” “Rosa II is more than enough boat for you and I and a small crew of four or five.”

With that Felipe walked down the pier to the harbor masters office and posted an ad offering to sell the older of the two boats. He also placed a notice on the wall in his own handwriting that he wanted to hire a crew of four hands to work the Rosa II. He sought a crew willing to work hard at all of the tasks necessary to sail and fish a good fishing boat. Previous work as a fisherman was not necessary. Fair wages were offered for crewmembers willing to work with good attitude. When he returned to the boats he said. “Miguel, you and I are going to fish the Rosa II and take her to the small fishing banks that others do not want.” We will work hard, but we will fill the holds with the finest of fish.” “We will hire on the basis of their attitude and then we will teach them to fish. We will have a crew that want to work hard and are willing to make some sacrifice of themselves in return for a fair wage and a part in saving this fishing business.” We will arrive early and not leave at days end until the boat is clean, repaired and ready for another days work. It should be much as it was when we were young men.

Felipe had advertised the smaller boat at a fair price and the very next day was summoned by the harbormaster. A buyer was present and ready to purchase the vessel with no haggling whatsoever. Felipe, in turn, took the money and paid the remaining money due on the Rosa II. When Felipe returned to the pier he was met by several of the crew. They were alarmed to hear of the boats sale and wondering what the notice for new crew was all about. “I see you men have seen the handwriting upon the harbormaster’s wall.” Felipe said. “You are right of course. You are not painters and mending worn nets is beneath your station.” “I wish you luck as you pursue much better jobs with the big fishing company or the bigger boats with captains that must surely understand how it is.”

Chapter Five

Felipe listened to the thrum, thrum, thrum of the diesel as he manned the wheel of the Rosa II, steering a course for small but fertile fishing banks farther south. Miguel was singing of romance. Felipe crossed himself and smiled at Miguel. Several young men were talking and laughing as they worked readying the nets and lines for a day of fishing. The decks were clean and Rosa II was bright with her clean new paint. The holds were full of ice and ready for Tuna and Dorado, only the best Tuna and Dorado. The fishing grounds were smaller and harder to reach. Too small for the commercial fleet, they were largely ignored except by the captain and crew of the Rosa II.

Epilogue

In time, the fish in the big fishing banks became too few and too small for the commercial ships to work for a profit. The big boats moved on to spoil other areas. Several of the other local boats had sold or been retired. Many of the crews no longer worked the fishing fleet. Some left for the banana groves inland. Some were on the public till. The government Ministry of Fishing suffered large budget cuts due to fewer license fees and reduced the number of officials to regulate the fishermen. No one was concerned about the fishing it seemed because there was no longer a fortune being made. Eventually, the fish will replenish themselves. A few boats, with mainly old captains but a few young ones and small faithful crews, still go to sea from the little village. The fishing is hard and the days long, strangely though, these fishermen are well at peace. Miguel sings and Felipe hums and prays of gratitude. Yes, after all, it is a hard and noble good life. Rosa visits with Miguel’s wife and the other women of the village. They talk of children and of sun browned and gray haired fishermen. Mostly she tends to new grandchildren. Now Rosa hums a little tune as she prepares the evening meal, for Felipe no longer worries at night about the fish.


© Copyright 2005 Harbormaster (harbormaster at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/944511-The-Handwriting-on-the-Harbormasters-Wall