*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/945618-Forgotten
by Tehanu
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Teen · #945618
Kasey is upset that her mom forgot her - again.
Daily Flash Fiction Prompt: Write a story in which something is forgotten


Kasey sat on the curb outside the school’s main entrance. She gave a long, exaggerated sigh. Her mom, endowed with a notoriously bad memory, had forgotten to pick Kasey up from rehearsal again.

The freckled girl had told her mom countless times that Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday afternoons were scheduled play rehearsals. Because the drama teacher had noticed Kasey’s responsibility and maturity, the eighth-grader had a good part in the fall production of, “You Can’t Take It With You.”

A lot of other students were upset that Kasey had gotten a part, because she was so young. It did not help that Kasey also bragged a lot. She would go on and on about how responsible she was compared to her mom, and how Mrs. Francesca liked her so well, and how she was allowed to walk down the school halls without a pass because even the hall monitors trusted her. At Alden High, Kasey was known as “teacher’s pet.”

The upperclassmen involved in the play thought Kasey too stuck up for her own good, and the seniors with cars never offered to drive Kasey home after school. Kasey did not let their snubs bother her – actually, she was too busy memorizing her lines and doing her homework and bragging to realize that she was being excluded.

Kasey checked her watch and started to tap her feet impatiently.

Very steamed by now, Kasey opened her script, intending to memorize all the other actors’ lines. A slip of paper fell out. It was the note her mom had given her that morning – and Kasey had forgotten to read it!

The paper read: “See you at 7, sweetie! Meet me in the back of the school.”

Hurriedly, Kasey packed up her belongings, her face turning red. She was fifteen minutes late.

299 words
© Copyright 2005 Tehanu (tehanu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/945618-Forgotten