*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/946052-Periclean-Athens
Rated: 18+ · Other · History · #946052
A young women living in ancient Athens must choose between love and duty.
“Do you ever think that The Fates might be wrong?”
“I don’t think you should question the Gods. Why would they be wrong?”
“I don’t know. It’s just that sometimes I feel like I don’t belong here. As though they misplaced me.” Agaqameria looked down at her fingers, fiddling with them.
“I don’t know why you would think that. You are married to one of the finest Generals, almost as well known as Pericles himself. How can you feel misplaced? Do you even know how many nights I lay awake wishing that my husband was as fine as yours?”
“ Fainareth, do you love Thlome?”
“ Love is left for Aphrodite. We are women, since when are we supposed to have love in our lives? I think you are thinking too much. All we need to know is how to run our household and give birth to children. That’s it. Enjoy what you are lucky enough to have.”
“Yeah, I suppose you are right.” She paused, not knowing how to change the subject. A warm wind brushed passed the two women, causing a lock of brown hair to tickle Agaqameria’s cheek. “It’s a beautiful day today,” she said, looking up at the clear blue sky. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath, enjoying the sun on her face. She could almost taste the salt in the air, and if she strained enough, Agaqameria thought she could hear the ocean. Realizing that the visit probably wasn’t going to go on any longer, Fainareth stood up, offering to walk her friend and neighbor to the door.
“Agaqameria, if you want my advice, and I suggest you take it to heart, I’ll give it to you. Continue thinking about the weather and leave your life to The Fates. Miltiades provides for you, he is good to you, and there is no way any man in their right mind would help you with a divorce. So leave it be. I’m sure you can find happiness somewhere in your home. Think of your children.” Agaqameria smiled slightly.
“You are completely right. I am just a little tired. Decameno is growing up so fast, and Miltiades is gone all the time with the war. I sure hope it ends soon. He is coming home in a few days and will stay for a week before he goes back out to sea. I guess I’m just lonely without him. I don’t know what to do with myself.”
“Oh, it’s alright. Everything will work out, as long as you don’t question The Fates. They’re powerful. You don’t want to get on their bad side, or they will show you what they can do.” Fainareth hugged her friend, and they walked out of the courtyard to the front door. “I’ll come stop by in a few days,” Fainareth said as she opened the door for Agaqameria to leave. “If you need to talk to me before that, just come over okay?” Agaqameria nodded, and the two young women said goodbye.
After the conversation with Fainareth, Agaqameria felt much better. She continued doing her daily chores, which consisted of making sure that the slaves kept up with their work, finding a tutor for her son, and taking care of her two year old daughter. Her husband would be home any day, and the house was in chaos making sure everything was perfect for his return. Most of the time she couldn’t think, but when she did, she just thought about what Fainareth told her. When she saw slave girls dressed in tattered dirty clothes walk by her window to the fountain to fetch water, she sighed with relief, feeling lucky that she wasn’t one of them, or a wife of a poor man. She had all the luxuries that she could ask for, a large house with many slaves, two beautiful children, a rich and well-known husband who could buy her anything.

“Radinh, more drinks!” A girl with greasy hair and a face tainted with dirt that was about 9 years old entered the room with a pitcher of wine in her hands. She seemed intimidated with all the old men in the room, shaking as she poured wine in each cup. Agaqameria sat next to her husband, Miltiades, silently watching the slave. She had on her best dress, a white cloth smartly wrapped around her slim, curvy body. Her brown hair was done up in curls, held in place by golden clasp.
“Well, enough about war. I’m sure my wife is getting tired of the subject. Tell me, my friends, the political news here in Athens?” her husband ask before taking a huge swig of his wine.
“My friends, the democracy is doing wonderfully. And why shouldn’t it? The poor have all the say, and all of our money goes to them!” a thin man with gray hair said, as he lifted his glass. The men laughed, taking his lead to have more wine and drank.
“Now, now, Palaistriko, I think that is a little harsh,” Miltiades said after swallowing his wine and putting down his cup. “You are talking about the people who chose you. And if you aren’t careful, perhaps they won’t vote you in next year. Plus Pericles…” Agaqameria faded out the conversation, bored with the talk of politics. She knew that all Athenians were expected to always be aware of the political happenings, but it wasn’t like she was a citizen and had the right to vote anyway. She yawned, and when she saw a break in the conversation stood up and asked her husband if she could retire.
“So soon, my lady?” one of the men asked, giving her a dirty smile that sent shivers down her spine. She realized that they were all drunk, and simply nodded. Giving her permission, her husband nodded her off to their room and continued with the conversation. When she was in the hallway, she could still hear the men talking with one another.
“You have quite a bold wife Miltiades. I would keep my eye on her if I were you. Never know what women might do once they start thinking. Reminds me of the comedy Thesmophoriazusae by Aristophanes. Have you seen it? The women of Athens decide to hold a political assembly!” The drunken laughter faded as Agaqameria entered her room and shut the door. She quickly and silently undressed, climbed into bed, and fell asleep.

“Love, where were you this afternoon?” Miltiades asked his wife as she walked slowly around the slaves who were preparing the meal. The smell of fresh garlic, onions and herbs filled the large room as the sound of knives against wood echoed across the clay walls.
“I went over to Thespis’s house to say goodbye to his wife. you know he died in battle, so she is moving in with her brother on the west of Athens until she finds another husband. With the dowry and her husband’s property, she shouldn’t have a problem, even though she is 25.”
“She lives a few minutes away on foot. Did you walk there all by yourself?” Agaqameria nodded and gave her husband a smile.
“Dear Husband, I think I can handle walking in the city by myself. I do run this household, don’t I?”
“I don’t want you going out when I’m gone. Have your friends come visit you over here. Even if you are going to Alcestis. I know you usually go over there to see his wife, but in these times of war when I am away, I worry about you. I don’t want anything to happen to you.” Agaqameria left the slaves to finish their work and walked up to her husband, smiling.
“That is so sweet darling. I promise not to step foot out of this house” she said. He wrapped his big arms around her small body and leaned down, softly kissing her forehead.
“What would I do without a beautiful wife like you?” he said, looking down at her has he gently wiped a lock of her brown hair out of her face and put it behind her ear. She hugged him tighter, glad she was lucky enough to have him there.
“I know that this is a time of war, and the lack of men here is hard. So feel free to go anywhere, just as long as a slave boy is with you. Just make sure you don’t talk with anyone on the street!” Agaqameria smiled as they were interrupted by the sound of pattering feet.
“Father, Father!” Decameno ran into the room and jumped in between Agaqameria and Miltiades. “I wanna show you what the tutor has taught me so far. He says that if I keep up my work, I might be able to become a General like you!” Though Decameno was only seven, as the years passed he was starting to look more and more like his father, with curly black hair and dark brown eyes. Miltiades laughed at how excited his young son was as he lifted the boy over his head and onto his shoulder.
As Decameno talked excitedly about his lessons Miltiades carried him out of the room, leaving Agaqameria to finish preparing the supper. Agaqameria walked around the kitchen one more time checking over the slaves before being satisfied and leaving them alone to finish preparing the meal. She left the kitchen through the open door leading to the sunny courtyard, and as she closed her eyes preparing for the warm sunshine to hit her face she bumped into something, causing her to stumble. Opening her eyes, she found herself holding on to a strong, tan arm. She looked up the slave who had caught her. For a moment she was lost in his deep sea blue eyes, but broke away as she stepped back and straightened her tunic.
“So sorry, Mistress,” he said, giving her a short bow. When he looked back up in her eyes, her heart started pounding. They stood there for a moment, in silence, unable to form words. She finally got a hold of herself, and was able to respond.
“Can I help you with something?” she asked him, unable to place his face.
“Agaqameria!!” her husband’s voice called to her from the study that was across the courtyard. “I forgot to tell you, we got a new servant! That bastard Andreas couldn’t pay me back, so I made a deal. Please take care of him.” Agaqameria blushed, unaware that her husband could hear her. She felt exposed, though she knew she didn’t do anything wrong.
“Well, I welcome you to our home. Everyone here calls me Agaqameria. Now, did the General give you a task?” she said.
“No, he said to me that you would be the one to talk to about that.” She smiled, looking the slave up and down trying to decide where he would be best served. Though his tunic covered in dust and stains, he was strong and tan from hard outdoor labor. He had sandy blond hair that lightened in the ends. His face was clean shaven and handsome, and as he smiled Agaqameria’s heart fluttered for a moment.
“Well, he is right. Let’s see, what can you do… I know, you can go to the market for me. That will let Radinh stay here with me and help around the house. I’ll give you the lists in the morning, and by noon you will be expected to be back. I don’t tolerate lateness. If you are late, dinner will be held up, and if Miltiades is home, he will be upset if dinner is late. Just a fair warning. For today, have Materia, she’s in the kitchen, to show you the quickest way to the market from here. Afterwards, get to know the other slaves and help the gardener in the courtyard. You will be expected to do the gardening in the afternoon and any other chores are needed.” The slaved nodded, and as they walked away from one another he couldn’t help to glance back to watch her for a moment.


Agaqameria was glad to see everyone busily working when she entered the kitchen that morning. The warm sun shined through the large windows, and Agaqameria could smell the aroma of meats being roasted on the fire. She watched the slaves work with her armed cross as she smiled, feeling in a particularly good mood for no apparent reason. She saw the new slave boy enter the kitchen from the door opposite to her. She followed his muscular, tan legs as he walked toward her. She stopped smiling and lowered her arms as he stopped in front of her, wondering if he had noticed her staring at him and what he wanted. He stood in front of her, waiting for instructions, and started to smile when he realized that he had caught her off guard. Agaqameria’s heart began to beat loudly in her chest and she stared into his deep blue eyes, trying to read him.
“The list for the market,” he kindly said, reminding her of where she was and shaking her out of the trance. She looked around quickly, hoping nobody else noticed. The cook was concentrated on the food, and probably hadn’t even noticed that the two were in the room. Agaqameria handed the list to the slave boy, and as he took it, their hands touched. Her skin tingled with anticipation where his hand had touched her.
Why am I so attracted to this slave? she asked herself silently. She knew that because she was a woman the punishment for doing anything with anybody else beside her husband was harsh. She sighed, trying to get a hold of herself as she watched the slave walk away. She realized that she didn’t even know his name.
“Boy,” she called out strongly, remembering her role in the household. He stopped and turned around to face her. “What are you named?”
“Makkur”, he said before he smiled at her, turned around, and walked away.

© Copyright 2005 Rhenium3 (rhenium3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/946052-Periclean-Athens