*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/949503-The-Wish-of-Kassandra-Okvath
Rated: E · Article · Family · #949503
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition spin-off How'd They Do That? on the Okvaths of AZ.
How’d They Do That?
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
The Okvath Family
Recap By J.G. Bird
3-14-05
In October 2003, a softball-size tumor was discovered on 8-year-old Kassandra Okvath's kidney. The bone marrow transplants, chemotherapy, and operations to remove her cancer took place at the University Medical Center in Tucson, Arizona. During her stay, she found little to lift her spirits; treatment rooms were all stark, with white walls. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is a favorite show for Kassandra during her recovery, and once home, she formulates her plan, and sends in a tape - she asks to have the hospital ward’s walls painted. Her parents explain how important it became to Kassandra to find a way for her wish to happen.
When the Design Team shows up at the Okvath’s, it’s touching to see how Kassandra looks up to Ty. The director has explained to cast and crew that the makeover of the Okvath’s home will be kept a secret from the family to make it, “the best homecoming we’ve ever had.” The team to do the work at the Medical Center will involve Disney scene muralists, bringing in new furniture, draperies and taking direction from an eight year-old Team Leader to turnaround the hospital ward. But what Kassandra and her family don't know is that while one team is renovating the hospital wing in Tucson, our regular Extreme Makeover: Home Edition team will be completely re-building the Okvath home in Gilbert, Arizona.
There’s always a little personal connection that gets highlighted that’s unexpected. A couple that once lived in the Okvath home makes a request before demolition to remove a section of concrete that has hand prints of their own children. It’s important and poignant since one of those children died in 1988. The team is happy to help the former residents take out the concrete section. An important tip before starting demo – turn the water off. In this case, that’s harder than usual, since the valve has not been turned off for forty years. Scorpions and Black Widow spiders are prevalent in the area, so people from Orkin consult on the build to keep the critters out.
Taylor Woodrow is credited with the building of the Chunnel between the United Kingdom and France. The existing 1,800 square foot home was demolished on February 6, 2005, and Taylor Woodrow Homes and their construction crews worked nonstop through rainy and cold conditions. 190 yards of concrete, 1 ton of steel, 34,000 board feet of lumber, 1,200 yards of stucco, 150 gallons of interior paint and over 200 tons of landscape granite were among the many materials used to finish the home in six days.

A quick little clip of Paul arc-welder “torching” a frozen dinner brings to mind the hijinks I neglected to mention. Ty spent one night storming a local American Cancer Society auction. He proposed a dinner prepared by the design team in the Okvath home a day before the family came home. He spawned enough excitement in the room that $5500. was ultimately bid for his proposal. The goofy reality of it is, I don’t think the bidders got out of the build site with much more than pizza delivery. But it looked like they were good sports when the designers fumbled through preparations that seemed like a cross between the Three Stooges and a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. Whatever makes good TV right?
Gold-medalist Carly Patterson’s routine on the mat outside was done about fifteen times, they tell us, and the photographers “cut out” the figure of the star gymnast in Photoshop so it could be placed on the construction image background in the computer. It was then printed and mounted for placement on Gabby Okvath’s bedroom wall.
Preston’s hands are all over this build in the various touches his designs bring to it. He designs a vintage movie theater. A lighted OKVATH movie marquee, authentic theater seats, and velvet patterned wall treatment, are the main components. Preston is interested in creating those kid-friendly spaces that Kassandra can use to have friends come to spend time with her. A 24-horse carousel is assembled outside. Preston and Paul collaborate on a wooden butterfly sculpture, that I’m calling a totem. This also gets placed outside.
Ty’s secret room is Kassandra’s room – an indoor garden. The bench he makes has a lot of creative touches. The base is angled and gives it a flower pot silhouette. Push broom heads with deep green bristles get cut down and laid side-by-side to make the grass. Giant flowers populate the bench and work as lamp shades as well. His uniquely designed bed has storage under the wings.
During the rain, the bus got stuck in the mud. But not at a time that would have ruined the reveal. I didn’t mention before that a double-decker bus was brought in to fully obscure the nearly 6000 sqft Okvath home for that moment.
The areas not shown in the time frame of the edited Makeover show follow: Part of the backyard is a dream playground/amusement park. This includes the carousel and play structures with the standard slides and climbing equipment. But there’s also an entire village of small playhouses. Ty spends a moment showing Kassandra a garden area outside that he considers hers, where the butterfly totem sits quietly by a gazebo and a water fountain. Ty is really touched by this cutie, and as he’s crouched down to be at her eye-level, I’m imagining that it’s like a fairy tale moment for a little girl. The finished family theater is the final surprise. It’s the perfect size for all the family and maybe a couple neighbors; they can enjoy hi-tech audio-video and grab a bag of warm popcorn to enjoy. It looks like a happy ending to me.
© Copyright 2005 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/949503-The-Wish-of-Kassandra-Okvath