*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/950133-downtown-weekend-warriors
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Poetry · Experience · #950133
weekend , drinking ,people , corporate
there is music blaring and intermingling form the myriad of bars and martini bars,and pounding clubs.
it is difficult to distinguish between the old hardened new orleans jazz,and the fusion ,of that good old 70,s disco and the new techno,and the odd piano player playing for the tips in his jar.
there are all walks of life on the side walk,possibly the span of the whole world,passing by the fat man throwing the new pizza dough in the air ,ready to serve the next batch of hungry ,intoxicated sidewalk soldiers,craving for the three basic food groups that will sustain them for the road home or yet the next venture into clubland,
the tables are all taken at the sidewalk cafe,they tell me "you gotta eat food now man ,it does not pay for you to sit there just sipping coffee " "this is prime real estate ", my eyes narrow and slant at the midtwentysomething waiter ,who thinks he is the next kelvin klein model,MONEY that is his motivation,where did the old sidewalk cafe go to , is there a site in the old hillside where all the old cafes have been discarded to.corporation moved in like a huge vaccum cleaner and sucked them out of the sidewalk ,like cleaning the living room rug, YES! the sleeping giant has come like a rottweiller and devoured all the quaint tables and chairs and the sweet old man and wife offering their old time hospitality ,now it is the mindless greedy spineless corporate faceless entities who cater for the young likewise ,gap,GQ,banana republic,fashinistas,who sit there bragging about there endless killing they made at their pathetic corporate space,at their corporate office, with all their corporate cohorts, and they smile about their trophies of greed that finance their endless lease to own benzos and their rooms to go homes.
these are the same pretty perfect low self esteem people who are too busy keeping up with joneses and all the while they have their perfect white teeth and they smile,and under there breath they are despising each other because one has the latest plasma tv.they swagger along the sidewalk, the men with their arm placed across their chests just walking along showing off their arm candy , those are the pretty peroxide one sentence bimbos , who rarely except to say "can you buy me something" this is all their boyfriend /husband wants them to say as they pay the bills for the cheap thrills,that their empty girlfriends bestow upon their materialistic life , but this is their idea of the american dream meanwhile a member of law enforcemnet shakes down the homeless black man trying to borrow some money for a coffee or something , he is pushed along like an old penny in the sidewalk of shame ,as to appease the corporate generals
downtown has to look like all good america as it panders to the new noveau riche all in the name of the almighty dollar and make it look like the eagle is really making progress in the plight of urbanisation, and all the while the piano plays the music blares and the cash registers ring like a bell choir out of tune , but who really cares , because as long as the weekend warriors play their $2 gangster game and looking like they are players ,because after all when the shutters go down and the last table is cleaned and the cash is counted ,the weekend warriors retreat like soldiers in a dwan raid ,mission completed "we came we saw we conquered "and after operation velevt rope is over the weekend warriors go back to their corporate rat race ,to feed on the gutter of life to repelenish themselves for another weekend....to live the AMERICAN DREAM........................

© Copyright 2005 misterrigsby (scotsman2005 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/950133-downtown-weekend-warriors