*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/954252-Coming-Out-of-The-Closet
by red
Rated: E · Short Story · LGBTQ+ · #954252
This was something hard for me to deal with at the beginning, but now it's ok.
           I was around the age of thirteen when I realized that I liked girls instead of boys. Don't get me wrong, I dated men before I realized I liked girls. But it was like there was something missing in the relationships, but I didn't know what it was. I just figured that this guy wasn't right for me, so I would dump him and move on to the next empty relationship.
 
 
         We lived in a small town and I didn't know how my parents would take the news of me liking girls. It took me a couple of days thinking about all of that, and how I was going to tell them. One day I walked into the front room and asked my parents how they were. My mom looked at me and said "We are moving." I felt that I couldn't tell them at that time.
 
         A few days later, after we had moved to Wichita, I met a few people there that I became friends with. I still hadn't decided to tell anyone at that time that I was into girls.

One day soon after we moved, I went to one of my friends house and decided to talk to her mom. I told her mom that I had something to tell her, but I didn't know how to say it. She told me to go ahead and just tell her whatever it was. So, I took a deep breath and told her that I was a lesbian. She told me that she already knew that. I was very surprised that she already knew before I even said anything. I wanted to now how she knew, but I didn't ask her. I told her that I just felt that I had to tell her.
 
         Before long, all my friends began finding out that I was a lesbian. Some of my friends didn't understand, so I had to deal with them as well as finding someone that was still willing to date me.
 
         I told my parents when I was at my friend Aggie's house, visiting for a couple of days. I was there to get to know someone who lived there. Her name was Christie, and I had been spending nights with her since we had started dating.
 
         I don't remember what I was doing at the time, all I know is that my mom paged me, then I called her back to see what she needed. She said that she wanted me to come home and get something. I invited Christie to come with me so she could meet my parents, and my parents could meet her; she agreed. When we got to my mom's house and went inside, I found that my aunt Linda and my sister were also there visiting. I sat on the couch next to Christie. That was when my mom walked into the room and ask who I had with me. I said proudly "My girlfriend Christie!"
 
         Everyone greeted Christie. Christie and I stayed to visit, but went back to Aggie's after a little while.
 
         When I got back home, I ask my mom what she thought about Christie. She said that Christie seemed to be a very nice young lady. It was at that point I ask her if it bothered her that I liked women instead of men? My mom told me that she always known that I liked women. She also told me that it didn't matter who I was with as long as I was happy. My dad however, didn't accept my homosexuality as well as my mom.
 
         My dad on the other hand, is a very old fashion guy and he thinks that a relationship is between a man and woman. So, he wasn't happy at all in the beginning. He treated me a lot different. We used to talk more and go out and fix the car together. We would shovel the snow or cut boards. But he kept his distance from me after I told him. Years have passed since I've told him, though, and he has started to accept my new life style; he has even accepted my wonderful partner.
 
         She and I have been together for five years in February of 2006. We are currently engaged to get married with the hopes of children and a big house to raise them in.For now though, we take pride in ourselves as the parents of two dogs and a cat.
 
I believe that we are meant to be together as soul mates, and that our love for one another will last for an eternity.
© Copyright 2005 red (butchlez at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/954252-Coming-Out-of-The-Closet