*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/957080-A-Chance-of-a-Lifetime
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Starr
Rated: E · Short Story · Biographical · #957080
This is the interesting, exciting story about how I got my dog Chance.
         Each of my family’s dogs has a special story behind them. There’s Pebbles, our old Lab/Husky mix we got from a lady who was giving away her dog’s puppies. Then there’s Chewbacca, our young German Shepherd we bought from a guard dog breeder. But probably the most interesting story would be the one about my puppy, Chance.
         It was early October last year when it happened. I remember it was about 1:00 in the afternoon, and my mom and I were fighting. I won’t get into the details, but it resulted in me running out of the house. I didn’t care where I went; I just mindlessly followed the road, going wherever it led me. I had no plan. My frustration blocked my thought. I was completely abstracted. I just ran away.
         I had to make no decisions until I reached the big fork in the road, almost a mile away from home. I skidded to a stop. You see, I live out in the Country, and that fork where my neighborhood ends is a major path changer. The road to the right leads to the City, and the one to the left leads to the Suburbs. This was where I had to decide where I wanted to go. I thought for a moment, trying to choose, and then instinctively turned left. I still wasn’t sure at the time, but now I’m glad I went that way.
         On and on I ran, aware of nothing but my emotions. All I wanted was to find some place where I could stay, somewhere I belonged. But after a while, I started to feel really sick. I hadn’t been feeling so good all day, but I pretty much ignored it until now. Finally I stopped and sat beside the river.
         I figured I was dehydrated, but I knew better than to drink the dirty water. So there wasn’t much I could do. I buried my head in my arms and legs. Then the story started over. Everything that had just happened flashed before my eyes. Suddenly, I went into another state of consciousness. I left the world around me and drew into my own. All I saw was darkness; all I heard were my thoughts. I began to feel things I had never felt before. Now I cannot recall what I was thinking and feeling at the time, but I do remember I started to cry. Then I heard a noise that brought me back. It was a little whimper. I perked my head up and looked around, and saw a small, spotted puppy tied to a tree.
         The puppy cowered at first, but then I gently crept over and kindly stuck my hand out. The pup sniffed it, licked it, and wagged his tail. I noticed that there was a note on the tree. The note read:

Please take care of this puppy.
I cannot take care of him myself.
Thank you.


I giggled as the puppy licked my faced playfully. Then I heard a voice saying “Poor thing. Doesn’t know who his master is.” Startled, I jumped up and turned around. An old woman hobbled out of the little house across the street. “Hello,” she said sweetly, “I’m Mrs. Dorrison.”
         “Hi,” I replied, “I’m Nicole.” Mrs. Dorrison smiled and looked at the pup. “I found him in my yard the other day.” She told me. “I wish I could take care of him, but I’m too old and busy, and rather poor. And I don’t have much to feed him.” She took a piece of meat out of her pocket and threw it to the puppy, who gobbled it down as though he hadn’t eaten in days. “I think his old owners abandoned him, the poor creature.” She sighed sadly. “I just can’t stand how people can be so cruel.” I looked into the puppy’s sad, loving eyes and my heart just melted. “I can take care of him!” I offered. “I have a couple of dogs at home, and I’m sure he’d be happy with me!” The wrinkles on Mrs. Dorrison’s face disappeared as the corners of her mouth turned up.
         “That’s wonderful!” She chimed. “Well, you know where I live! Drop in every now and then and let me know how he’s doing!”
         “I will!” I promised. The old lady untied him. “I’m afraid this rope is all I have.” She said sadly. “That’s okay,” I replied, “I’ll try to lead him home myself. Well, I’ll see you later! Bye!”
         Mrs. Dorrison waved as I walked off and called to my new pet. The little pup happily came and I started on my way home. However, he was reluctant to follow me. “Come on!” I called, patting the side of my leg, the common signal. He hesitated, then trotted up to me. I petted him and praised him, but as soon as I started walking again, he stopped and looked back. “It’s okay!” I cooed, picking him up. I had to carry him part of the way, but after a while he wanted down. I gently lowered him to the ground. Luckily, he didn’t run off but obediently stayed there. And a moment later I felt sick again. My head was spinning, my stomach queeved, and I felt unusually hot. I puked beside the road. The puppy whimpered, but I patted him reassuringly.
         I trudged on, feeling as though the sun was right above me. The earth seemed to thrust beneath my feet. The trees swayed from side to side in the nonexistent wind. I grew weaker with each passing second. I kept thinking I could make it, but somehow I knew I was wrong. By the time we reached a trailer, I had a bad feeling things were about to get worse. Suddenly, the air disappeared, my knees gave in, and I could see the ground coming closer just before darkness quickly came over me.
         When I finally reawakened, I saw an unfamiliar ceiling above me. “Oh, good! You’re awake!” a strange voice exclaimed. I sat up. I was on some couch, and a woman kneeling beside me smiled. I looked around and realized I was inside the trailer. “Are you all right?” the woman asked. “I think I’m fine.” I answered. I was about to ask about the puppy when he jumped into my lap. I grinned and asked for a glass of water. She gladly got it for me, and I drank it slowly, explaining my story. We chatted for a little while, until I looked out the back window and spotted my dad’s car coming. I quickly thanked the young woman, said goodbye, scooped up my pup, and dashed out the door. “Dad!” I shouted, waving. He stopped the car and rolled down the window. “Where have you been?” he yelled, “Your mother and I were looking all over for you! And what’s with the pooch?” I got in the car with the puppy and told him everything on the way home.
         Once we got there, I presented the puppy to my mom and begged her to let me keep him. She was thinking about it when Chewie curiously trotted over and sniffed the newcomer. “Let’s let Chewie decide!” my mother declared. The two dogs stood there and sniffed each other for a moment, then the little one did a play bow and they both ran off. It was adorable to see them playing together. “All right, I guess it’s a yes!” Mom decided. I cheered, excited that I had a new pal. Then my mom and I made up, and I began to wonder what to call my furry new friend. I decided that since he had been given the chance of a lifetime, I would name him Chance.

© Copyright 2005 Starr (starrgurl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/957080-A-Chance-of-a-Lifetime