*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/957652-Family-Portrait---Chapter-4
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Young Adult · #957652
The concluding chapter of Family Portrait.
Chapter 4
True Happiness

The year was 2020. Toby had just bought a new barbecue pit. It was the middle of summer and they were having a get together with some of Mara and Toby’s friends. Lily, Maryanne and Jennifer were coming as were Suzette Myers and Carried Porter, Mara’s best friends from her old high-school in Philly, also Sarah and Alice. And, of course Callie and Kyle were coming.

Mara and Toby had two sons, Trevor, who was ten, and Lawrence, who was nine. They had also had a daughter, seven-year-old Michonne who they had named after Mara’s mother

The picnic table was set in the back yard. Mara’s father had turned himself in and during those years that he was in prison he and Mara had worked hard to amend their relationship with each other. When he had been released from prison he had moved in with Mara and her family. Today Timothy had made barbecue chicken, ribs and grilled salmon. Mara had made a mean hash brown casserole and there were rolls baking in the oven. Lily had made macaroni and cheese and Maryanne had made a chocolate cake.

Everyone was laughing and talking. Everyone, that is, except Mara. She was kitchen, looking out the window over the sink. She watched her three children chasing the their Golden Retriever, Becca. Timothy beckoned for Mara and she nodded in response.

As she walked over to check the rolls in the oven a single tear ran down her cheek, then another and another. Finally, Mara just sat down by the oven and cried.

A few minutes later her oldest son came and sat beside his mother. Trevor rested his head on Mara’s shoulder and asked, “What’s wrong, Mom?”

Mara looked up and put her arm around Trevor’s shoulders. “Nothing’s wrong, honey.”

“Then why are you crying?”

“I’m just so happy, Trev. When your grandmother died over twenty years ago, my – my life began to fall apart. I’m just so happy that – that my life’s back together again and – and everyone’s contented. In other words, I’m happy because my family is happy. That’s why you saw me crying.”

Trevor hugged Mara and she hugged him back and kissed the top of his head.

Toby walked through the kitchen. “Food’s ready.”

“Then where are you going?”

“The bathroom.”

“Oh.” Mara turned to Trevor. “Why don’t you go back outside? I’ll be out soon.”

“Ok.”

Mara got up, washed her hands and began to put the fresh rolls into and basket. Toby came back and wrapped his arms around Mara’s waist and kissed her on the cheek.

“I thought I saw you crying. Everything alright?”

Mara turned around and hugged Toby. She rested her head on Toby’s chest.
“Everything’s fine,” she said. “Just fine.”



That night as Mara and Toby were getting ready for bed Mara wrapped her arms around her husband’s neck and kissed him. “Today was a good day,” she said.

“Yes,” Toby agreed. “It was.”

The two of them got into bed and under the covers. On the night table on Mara’s side there sat a picture. In it, standing behind a couch were she and Toby. Sitting on the couch in front of them were Callie and Timothy with Michonne between them. Kyle sat on the floor with Trevor on his right and Lawrence on his left. Mara treasured this picture, her family portrait.

The End
© Copyright 2005 Aetucre (aetcre at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/957652-Family-Portrait---Chapter-4