*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/962376-one-choice
by dio
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Biographical · #962376
All it takes is one day to change everything.
Up until this point, I had never really believed that one day could truly change your life.





I joined the Michigan National Guard on September 22 2000, when I was 21 years old.

I had a girlfriend who said she supported me on my choice. I was in basic training for five months, when I came home, she was gone.



I was awoken in the morning, on September 11th 2001, by the crying of my Fiancé. I climbed out of bed to see what was wrong and walked into the living room, it looked like she was watching some action movie so I didn't pay any attention to it at first.

When I asked her what was wrong she had told me she was afraid I was going away, because of what was on the news.

When I looked at the TV, again I saw that it was actually CNN, and I could not, did not want to believe what I saw.

I had turned just in time to see the second jet crash into the twin towers, my thoughts were instantly thrown into chaos.

As it turns out I didn't go away for a while. Nevertheless, the stress on my Fiancé was too much for here to bear, we went our separate ways.

The effects of that day seemed bad at first, but I was realizing now that it was just the ripples that precede the tidal wave.

A few months later in March of '02 I was mobilized, my new girlfriend who I had only been seeing for about a month, was petrified, she begged me not to go.

I had no choice it was my duty, my choice.

I left for over a year. She did not wait.

I returned home mid '03 to my empty home.

Once again, I thought it was over. However, reality was to strike one more time.

I had quite my job when I had been deployed back in 2002, and was unable to find a civilian job, so I stayed working full time for the army for the most part.

On February 14th 2004 I got married, but in order to support my new family, I once again went away, only for six months this time. It was too much for her, we got divorced on February 11th 2005.

I not only lost her, but also my one year son.



Even though it seems that being in the military takes away everything I love, I will not get out.

For how can you give up the thing that takes away everything you love, when it is all you have? When it is your own life?

Moreover, in past reflection I have learned that even what seems to be the simplest choice, could very well change everything
© Copyright 2005 dio (dio1979 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/962376-one-choice